Super Contributor

Tatcha Cleansing Oil & Powder Set...what am I doing wrong???

Hello! I splurged and ordered this set that I have been wanting to try for some time. It arrived yesterday and I couldn't wait to try it. I followed the directions and used 2 pumps of the cleansing oil on dry skin but it didn't want to remove my makeup...especially the mascara. I wore waterproof mascara yesterday so today I wore regular and it still left a lot behind. I used an alcohol free toner after the cleansing oil to see how much makeup the cleanser didn't remove before I used the powder and there was a lot of makeup still on it (both last night and tonight). Both nights I've still had to use my eye makeup remover because this won't remove it! And it's not like I wear stage makeup or something! I'm really confused! This is an expensive set and I thought at the very least it would remove all of the makeup?! Can you ladies help? Thanks! Smiley Happy
Respected Contributor

Re: Tatcha Cleansing Oil & Powder Set...what am I doing wrong???

Did you massage the cleansing oil for 10 seconds then add water to turn it milky? Do you maybe need another pump? Then splash it off?

I do that and then immediately go into the powder. I don't use as much as they say to because I think a small amount works just fine. Use that for 10 seconds and rinse.

I haven't tried using the cleansing oil on eye makeup so I can't speak to that, but my face comes out really clean otherwise.

Honored Contributor

According to the demo, you're supposed to use the cleansing oil at night and the enzyme powder in the morning.
After you first apply your 2 pumps of cleansing oil to a dry face and rub it around a little, are you adding a little splash of water to emulsify it a little? You don't just rub the oil and and wipe it off. You need the water to turn it into that milky emulsion to lift the makeup off. After that step, either use a warm wash cloth to remove everything or do a thorough splashing rinse. You should be clean at this point. Follow up with your regular treatment products.

In the morning, do the enzyme powder. Dampen your face. Sprinkle the powder in your hand, add a little water, and rub your hands together. Apply it to your face and massage it around. Rinse. Follow up with your AM treatment products.

Honored Contributor

I tried it in the past and I had to use a toner to remove the trace amounts of makeup it left behind and I usually don't wear alot of makeup! I don't use a toner on a regular basis but found I had to with the Tatcha. I tried it with various amounts of the oil and still it did not remove it all unless I cleansed twice, which I didn't want to do. I also found the oil a bit drying for my skin.

Contributor

I also had the same problem...didn't remove all my mascara and I don't wear much, nor do I wear waterproof. I sent it back because of this and the fact that I found it drying and irritating...way too expensive to not perform!

Frequent Contributor

From your post it does not sound like you are rinsing with water. Add the water as you message the oil around your face and eyes. I use an extra pump if I have on lots of mascara. I then use my clarisonic and my brush is clean. I don't use the powder very often as I think I'm done after Tasha and clarisonic! Good luck! Sonnie

Super Contributor

Hmmm...yes, I am adding water to the oil after 10 seconds to emulsify. In the package directions it says to use the powder after the oil. Not one in the am and one pm. Are all of you using only oil at nite and powder in the morning?
Trusted Contributor

The only times this happens to me is when I don't use enough oil. If I am trying to spread it too thin then I don't have an ample amount to really massage my eyes. I do add some water to it but I personally find the oil is the real m/u removal worker and the water just helps to aid getting it all off my face ........ if that makes any sense.

I have really sensitive eyes yet find this oil to be just fine when I am really concentrating on loosening up all the eye m/u. And depending on how much I have on, that dictates how much oil I'll need to get my whole face and my eyes clean.

Super Contributor

I don't use the Tatcha oil to remove my mascara and liner - I use eye makeup remover pads for that. I do always do a double cleanse at night with the oil first, then the powder, and use the powder alone in the AM. By the way, I know the autoship is every 3 months, but I find it lasts much longer. I'm still using the set I got last fall.
Super Contributor

I really massage mine in until I'm sure I've paid attention to my entire face -- extra attention to the eyes. I just wet my face, then immediately use the rice powder. I make sure I lather it up well until it's really creamy then essentially go over my face again, so I'm using the rice enzyme AND the somewhat emulsified oil at that same time. Then I rinse. I've had some stubborn mascara smudges but I've learned to really get in there and don't have that problem any more. I've never had any makeup left on my face using it that way -- nothing came off with a toner.

After reading your other post, I massage longer than 10 seconds, I think. Then (I don't think I was really clear) I just wet my hands and get my face wet, not really rinsing, then lather up and add the enzyme powder. Does that make sense?

You have time to work and play with it, and hopefully you'll find how to make it work best for you.