Esteemed Contributor

wrote:

I think the furor over the shades is ridiculous. Tarte has plenty of shades in various ranges, not something people should get all defensive about. Too many chips on too many shoulders; some just want to stir up trouble and find racial slurs in every corner. I for one am tired to death of these tirades.

@zitawins  You should probably look into the situation further before you offer an opinion.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Trusted Contributor

Simply put, the original poster should have issue with the Q, not Tarte. 

Honored Contributor

I'm one of those people that the new Tarte foundation doesn't have a shade for. NONE of Tarte's foundations have a shade for me. Then again, other than Kat Von D (and it's not an exact match but pretty darn close), NO line has a foundation that matches me (even 99.9% of the mineral foundation lines don't work), so I say this as someone who isn't "mainstream shades of beige with the occasional lighter or darker shade thrown in":

ENOUGH with the jumping on Tarte. IMHO I think most are jumping on the hate wagon because they 

1) want to be relevant

2) don't want to accused of being racist

How about jumping on ALL THE OTHER LINES that also don't offer shades for everyone. Oh, that's right, one of YOUR perfect matches is one of those lines and you get free stuff so you can't say anything. Okay. Got it.

Tarte is the flavor of the week. It was Charlotte Tilbury who was flamed last week or so for not having enough shades of something and THAT was because the "beauty influencers" gave out FALSE info. I don't give a cwap about any YouTuber or what they have to say. I vote with my money. EOD.

Esteemed Contributor

I haven't seen the new Tarte Shape tape foundations yet at Sephora in Canada nor have I seen the popular shape tape concealer either yet. I have watched the various youtube videos discussing Tarte's lack of adequate foundation colors and I agree with them. Tarte botched this rollout both in the foundation selection and the PR message trying to fix their gaffe. The foundation is $39 U.S. a bottle and the youtube influencers all got a Tarte PR box of makeup for free so that they could review the line. That's 6 bottles of foundation, 3 matte shades and 3 hydrating shades and 3 concealer shades.

i watched at least 5 different videos from people who are black, brown, and white and the color selection for women of color is poor right out of the gate. In a post Fenty Beauty  world, a lack of diversity in American beauty products isn't going to cut it.

Honored Contributor

Re: Tarte being shady

[ Edited ]

wrote:

@Lipstickdiva  She's talking about the new Shape Tape foundation, and the lack of shades for people of color.

Thanks.  Maybe I'm missing something but how in the world was I supposed to figure that out from the intial post.  LOL

According to the Tarte website, that foundation comes in 15 shades.   15 seems like a lot of shades.  However in looking at the shades, they certainly seem to cater to fair, medium, and tan skintones.  There aren't many in the darker family.

I don't follow any bloggers or youtubers so I have no idea what is going on with this rollout or Tarte or people getting free products. 

Honored Contributor

I want to add that the Hydrating version of this new foundation turns ORANGE within minutes of application. So, if you are lucky to find a shade that matches with a swatch and apply it to your entire face, you're going to be a shade or two darker and more orangey than the swatch shows.

BTW, Fenty with all those shades (none for me, however), does this as well.

I think THAT is something no foundation should do in this day and age. Again, vote with your feet/your money.

Trusted Contributor

Everyone here  j ust   a r  e  n ' t   g   e t  t  i  n  g    i  t .

Respected Contributor

Re: Tarte being shady

[ Edited ]

wrote:

Everyone here  j ust   a r  e  n ' t   g   e t  t  i  n  g    i  t .

Well I know I am not getting it.  Maybe explaining the issue will assist my feeble brain in making a relevant post.  Or maybe none is necessary because this was just a vent rant?  

Respected Contributor

I think a lot of brands fall short when it comes to their foundation shade options. My post was more about my opinion on just that. I am a medium skin tone and can usually find a color for myself. 

Fenty raised the bar when they released their foundation range. I also think NARS new foundation has a lot of shades also. This is one foundation I would like to try and I need to go to Sephora to get shade matched. 

Anyway, no hate was intended in my post, I was just stating that IMO that a lot of  these beauty brands could do better with their shades. Tarte and IT are not the only brands out there. 

Esteemed Contributor

How many of us are able to find the perfect shade in all cosmetic lines?  I haven't found my perfect match but I look to another line if I'm not happy.  I don't really give it much thought.   I like IT but I have to mix shades.