Regular Contributor

Anyone care to review the recent Tarte TSV?  Curious about the foundation stick....TIA.lexi

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@lexi I can only give a partial review for now, because I haven't tried the stick foundation or foundation brush yet. We're having a record-breaking heat wave, so I'm still using my BM powder foundation!  I did swatch the clay stick on the inside of my arm though, and the Fair color is perfect, and it felt lightweight. The brush is dense and feels nice.

I love the face palette! The colors are the darker, warmer (photo) version, not the lighter, cooler (video) version. Exactly what I wanted. The highlighter in the palette works great as my all-over eyeshadow color (I normally use Maybelline Champagne Fizz for that and have for years), and the eyeshadow shades are nice mix of matte/shimmer. The bronzer is matte and will work well as an eye crease color. The shadows are not powdery, and they blend well. The blush color is a little peachier than a true rose, but it's a pretty color and looks good on me. This palette will be great for my Fall/Winter travel, because I won't have to take a separate blush or my Maybelline eyeshadow single. The ONLY thing I don't love about the palette is the vanilla scent. I have the Make Believe In Yourself palette also, so I should have expected that, but I forgot. It's not a deal breaker, though, because I can't smell it once the products are on my face. The shadow brush is fine but not my preferred shape. 

The lippie also has the vanilla scent, and that does stay noticeable with the gloss. I haven't worn the lipstick yet, but when I swatched it, the scent didn't linger. The color is lighter than it looked in the photo, but still wearable for me. I like having the stick and gloss in one tube.

I have used the mascara before so just stuck this one in my stash for later. I am not loyal to any mascara brand but like a nice dark black, which this is. It'll be a treat to switch to the Tarte when I finish my ELF and Ulta ones.

I'll report back once I've had the chance to try the clay stick! 

Valued Contributor

Re: Tarte TSVcomments

[ Edited ]

I love the stick foundation! I've used Bobbi Brown stick foundation and prefer the Tarte as it goes on so much smoother.  Stick foundation is not an everyday thing for me ( I use Maybelline Fit Me matte + poreless) but this will be great for travel and when I'm in a super hurry since it blends quickly and like a dream.

I love the palette as well. The bronzer is on the light side but I have light/medium skin skin so this works great as contour for me in the fall/winter. And the highlighter? After trying tons of them, this is my new fav. My only initial disappointments  are the two shimmer rose/burgundy eyeshadow shades that make me look like sick bunny rabbit with blue eyes.  I experimented by using just a touch of one or the other on my center lip over the lippie or gloss ( both beautiful mauve shades). Love the look! It's a winner purchase for me.

Regular Contributor

Thank you Ladies...

Esteemed Contributor

Unfortunately it was a no go for me.   Already packed up to go back.  I tried the foundation yesterday and it didn't work for my older, mature skin.  It was vitually gone by mid day.   The other stuff seemed fine, but I have plenty of shadows, etc., so no need to keep it just for that.

Respected Contributor

@Wsmom wrote:

Unfortunately it was a no go for me.   Already packed up to go back.  I tried the foundation yesterday and it didn't work for my older, mature skin.  It was vitually gone by mid day.   The other stuff seemed fine, but I have plenty of shadows, etc., so no need to keep it just for that.

Thanks for weighing in, @Wsmom. I'll have to make sure I "test drive" the clay stick before my return window closes!

Respected Contributor

@WenGirl42 wrote:

@Wsmom wrote:

Thanks for weighing in, @Wsmom. I'll have to make sure I "test drive" the clay stick before my return window closes!

I will add my comments too since I too have dry mature skin. I wear light in IT CC and light/medium in Mally defender BB. For me this runs just a tad light so I ordered and love this stick foundation in light/medium. Even for my very dry mature skin this goes on so nice and smooth, so creamy and lasted 12 hours on me.

I went very easy with everything in this kit to play it safe since I do like a more natural look  and that works great for me. I use neutral shades since too dark washes me out. I like the blush going very very easy, use my LG slanted blush brush and apply just a little bit, great. I don't care for the lipstick color on me, way too dark but I do really like the gloss and color of that on me.

I used the highlighter under my brow bone, used the lightest neutral shadow all over than using just a shade darker in the same tone  I used my LG tiny eye lining brush and using that damp I put this on as a top liner, perfect.

The liner didn't last all day like the foundation did but lasted enough for me.

I put the stick foundation one spot on each cheek, forehead, chin, nose and a tiny spot under each eye than using that brush I blended in circles all over as well as making sure to get it around the hair line and  jaw line. This worked great for my dry mature skin and glad I ordered, was really on the fence with this one but took a chance, glad I did. I also find this stick foundation works very well when I don't want a full face of makeup and just use it here and there as a concealer and blend in very well, good to go.

For me the mascara is just so so, I prefer CG in the green tube with a curved brush(volume and curl) does the best for my sparse lashes while looking more natural.

just my opinion of course but for me and my dry mature skin this works very well plus it washes off very easily at bedtime(other than the mascara).

Occasional Contributor

I preordered the tsv and have been wearing it for several days now.  I have enlarged pores and found that a lot of liquid foundation settled into them making them more obvious so I used bare minerals or laura gellar balance/brighten.  These worked fine but I wanted a bit more coverage. Tartes amazon clay foundation was the first liquid (I tried Josie Maron, Eve Pearl and even Laura Mercier) that didn't settle into my pores.  So when I saw the stick foundation I had to give it a try.  It works great with the ease of use a stick provides versus the liquid.  I get decent coverage, it doesn't settle into my pores, the color match is spot on and the finish looks both polish and natural.  I use makeup forever powder to finish it and I dont' have an issue with it disappearing hours later.  

The eyeshadows are pretty and blend well and the blush is pretty too.  It doesn't have glitter in it that some other blushes have so it doesn't highlight the Tpores on my cheeks.  The mascara is great based on previous experience and the lipstick/gloss is quite nice as well.  The foundation brush is really nice but I prefer my Trish McEvoy eyeshadow brush much better than the Tarte eyeshadow brush.  Overall, I like the kit very much.

Respected Contributor

I have been really playing around with this TSV and other than the dark lipstick I can use everything but prefer another mascara although this one is nice and okay.

I too find I can and do use all the shadows as well as using them wet for a liner using my tiny LG liner brush, perfect.

I too love the blush, no sparkle, shine or glitter, great for everyday using it very lightly as I do everything in this kit.

I even use the stick foundation on days I don't wear any foundation, just put some under my eyes and apply other products and out the door.

I have dry mature skin and find that nothing in this kit will settle into or show up fine lines or wrinkles. I am glad I went on AD for this and look forward to the next shadow palette.