Valued Contributor
On 6/5/2014 Porcelain said:

I say go for it.

I love the delivery system for the Tan Towels. Kate Sommerville's offering might be as good, but I know her towels are more expensive.

The towelettes themselves make a big difference in the result. I've tried almost all types: mousse, lotion, spray, gradual, bronzer. The only one I haven't tried yet is oil. Towelettes are better.

With mousse or lotion, it seems to matter a lot that you get an even coating immediately. If it dries, you're done. If you miss a spot and cover it later in the session, even 30 seconds or a minute later, you can get a streak where there is overlap. And the edge of a streak against a completely missed spot is stark.

With towelettes you can take longer and the application is much more even--sheer in a way. You can go over the same spot twice or three times in a session just to be sure and it isn't that noticeably darker than a spot you only swiped once. You just go over everywhere slowly and thoroughly like buffing a car and you get a really even result.

If you do miss a spot, the edge is softer because the towelette lays down the product in a sheerer way, and the paper cloth sort of buffs the edge a little. You can still see a white patch but it's not quite as noticeable.

I'm on AD for the previous special, and I'm already a bit backed up. But I'm happy to know I can't run out. If you do AD, just be more realistic than I was about how often you will actually tan! Cheers!

This is a great review, thank you. Even though, I just bought the Bare Minerals Faux Tan, I might try the tan towels. How do they work on the hands and feet?

Honored Contributor
On 6/5/2014 Angel Cake said:

This is a great review, thank you. Even though, I just bought the Bare Minerals Faux Tan, I might try the tan towels. How do they work on the hands and feet?

Glad it helped! If Bare Minerals works for you that is awesome too.

Hands and feet? I'm careful and I think they look pretty good and tan. But...my palms are always overtanned. That's the tradeoff with the way I do my tans. People who know about self tanning can probably tell it's not real. I would rather have my palms be a bit too dark than have my hands look like I'm wearing white gloves!

I've tried wearing latex gloves while using the tan towel, to avoid the palm thing. But I prefer to get a good grip on it and be able to feel what I'm doing.

Before I start, I moisturize my cuticles, fingers and toes. And the day before, I exfoliate with my sonic brush. I also prep immediately before tanning with wipes called Sluffs, which I found online.

So I do the tan, then wash my hands carefully, scrubbing my palms. To finish, I use the towel all over my hands and wrists and wipe my palms on a paper towel. Still get darker palms, but I find it acceptable.

As to feet: The key is to pre-exfoliate and moisturize the dry areas and be just as thorough about getting all the spots, all around the toes and behind the heel on the ankle, as you are with the rest.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

they made me orange when I tried them several yrs ago- Sephora carries them

Honored Contributor
On 6/5/2014 Luvmycats said:

they made me orange when I tried them several yrs ago- Sephora carries them

I've heard that skin ph level affects the color of the tan. You could try a prep wipe or spray and that might help. I think that's one reason why the Versa Spa tans look so nice.* They give you a pretan spray coating that gets your ph correct before the tan.

*ETA: They look nice if you don't go to a salon with cloggy spray heads--In that case you wind up looking part dalmatian or leopard!

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Valued Contributor
On 6/5/2014 Porcelain said:
On 6/5/2014 Angel Cake said:

Glad it helped! If Bare Minerals works for you that is awesome too.

Hands and feet? I'm careful and I think they look pretty good and tan. But...my palms are always overtanned. That's the tradeoff with the way I do my tans. People who know about self tanning can probably tell it's not real. I would rather have my palms be a bit too dark than have my hands look like I'm wearing white gloves!

I've tried wearing latex gloves while using the tan towel, to avoid the palm thing. But I prefer to get a good grip on it and be able to feel what I'm doing.

Before I start, I moisturize my cuticles, fingers and toes. And the day before, I exfoliate with my sonic brush. I also prep immediately before tanning with wipes called Sluffs, which I found online.

So I do the tan, then wash my hands carefully, scrubbing my palms. To finish, I use the towel all over my hands and wrists and wipe my palms on a paper towel. Still get darker palms, but I find it acceptable.

As to feet: The key is to pre-exfoliate and moisturize the dry areas and be just as thorough about getting all the spots, all around the toes and behind the heel on the ankle, as you are with the rest.

I have been self tanning for 2 years, this is my 3rd summer. I have tried St. Tropez and Tarte and just tried BE for the first time yesterday. My problem with self tanner is my inner elbows. For some reason, after a couple of days I have these big circles on my inner elbow arms where it wears off. It doesn't happen anywhere else but there. And whenever I try to reapply, it looks really bad and splotchy, so I have to let it wear off naturally and start all over.

So now I'm trying BE to see if it does the same thing. I did a horrible job on my hands and feet, mostly because it's a darker color than the other two I'm use to. I know I will do better next time, because the brush it comes with is fantastic.

I bought the tan towels and will try them too, after some time with the BE. The biggest selling point for me on the tan towels, is they are so much easier to travel with. You won't have to put these in your liquid bag and can use in carry-on. I look forward to trying them! Cheers!

Super Contributor

Does anyone remember when the TTs were sold in SILVER packaging? I loved the design...Anyway--several years ago I was able to get a great deal on the 'bay for a set of 100 half-body deeper-darker towlettes for $50!

Point being--these TTs are at least 4 years old or more and they still are moist and perfect! So don't worry about them getting old/dry. At least the silver packaged TTs!

A helpful hint--after using your TT, apply TTs "On the Glow" gradual self-tanning lotion (or your fav. brand) for a double punch! Some other tanning towels are drying, so by applying a lotion after wards your legs stay soft and smooth!