Occasional Contributor

I love Laura's primers but will not use her baked products ever again! She insists on using talc which is very drying and aging. I went to her Facebook page to ask if she would ever consider making these without talc, and I received a reply about the benefits of talc! I was even directed to 2 links about it...which I ignored! Laura really needs to get with the times and go talc-free! I'm sticking with tarte, bareMinerals and It Cosmetics from now on! Have you ever noticed Laura only uses YOUNG models for her product demos? Not all of us are in our 20's or 30's!

Respected Contributor

Re: Talc in Laura's products!

Her line is not for me.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Frequent Contributor

I am 52 and use her products daily. Love the Balance and Brighten and I don't mind the talc at all. In fact, I have found that powders without talc (for instance with a lot of mica) show my pores more.

And I have seen Laura demonstrate on models closer to my age on some of her shows. Plus she most likely is wearing her own makeup and is 50 something.

Respected Contributor

I'm 59 and don't find Balance & Brighten to be aging or drying! Nothing works for everyone, so why should she change a product that a lot of people obviously love for the few who don't?

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Actually, Tarte now is putting talc in their blushes. Check the ingredients list on the blush/bronzer in Pink Bronze from the last TSV.

Contributor

I love the one baked eyeshadow product I got in a TSV - it doesn't emphasize crepey lids - and has a nice sheen without looking harsh or too glittery. I like Chanel but Laura gets the darker colors better than Chanel does. Chanel does do nice lighter subtle and sparkly shadows.

Trusted Contributor

On 4/16/2014 Karena said:

Actually, Tarte now is putting talc in their blushes. Check the ingredients list on the blush/bronzer in Pink Bronze from the last TSV.

And.. their eye shadows are made with talc.

I have read conflicting information on talc. The brands that don't use it say it's terrible, the brands that do, say it's different than 20 years ago and no longer dangerous. I prefer cosmetics without.

I was very surprised to read the ingredients on the new Paula's Choice Eye Palette. Talc, Mineral oil and parabens. She critiques products from all companies, but then says this is the best?

Honored Contributor

I am allergic to chalk - I break out in welts if I touch it.

Talc must be related to chalk (does anyone know???) because after I first put on LG Brighten product....I broke out in hives on my face!

It's too bad - I like the idea behind her products, but I can't use them.

Honored Contributor

Talc is perfectly safe in cosmetics, and it is one of the better ways to create powder cosmetic products.

The end result depends upon the whole formulation and not just on one ingredient. You can have inferior products or superior products, both using talc, just the same as you can with any other one ingredient.

Some of the highest-end eye shadows and face powders are talc-based -- Laura Mercier, Chanel, to name just one of many, many lines. Laura Mercier eye shadows are incredibly smooth, finely milled, and well-pigmented -- just about the best out there. Bobbi Brown Sheer pressed face powder has an amazing finish and texture -- yup, talc.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

On 5/4/2014 pas4116 said:
On 4/16/2014 Karena said:

And.. their eye shadows are made with talc.

I have read conflicting information on talc. The brands that don't use it say it's terrible, the brands that do, say it's different than 20 years ago and no longer dangerous. I prefer cosmetics without.

I was very surprised to read the ingredients on the new Paula's Choice Eye Palette. Talc, Mineral oil and parabens. She critiques products from all companies, but then says this is the best?

She does rate products and sometimes will downgrade them because of certain ingredients -- usually added fragrance and irritants like fragrant oils or menthol.

But she has written extensively debunking myths about talc, mineral oil, and parabens, so I wasn't surprised at all to see that her eye shadow palette is talc-based or has mineral oil (the last ingredient before the preservatives and used for texture).

As for parabens, she considers them perfectly safe and effective but does seem to use them infrequently. My guess is that the company decided that parabens were the best way to go for preservatives in the palette.

BTW, I have the palette and find the texture and pigmentation to be on a par with some of my high-end shadows and palettes -- excellent quality.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland