Super Contributor

Taking Time To Match Your Foundation

Last week I was in Nordstrom and had my foundation and powder matched to my complexion. I chose Lancome Miracle Cushion and Dual Finish Powder. It was a splurge but I am so pleased with the results. There was also a gift with purchase.I have wasted money in the past guessing at TSVs. I am a busy mom on a budget but I am tired of throwing out failed cosmectics.

Floral Pillow
Frequent Contributor

Re: Taking Time To Match Your Foundation

I just did the same thing at Macy's with Lancome  - new foundation and powder.  So happy, as well.  I have never spent this much money, but the product is so good.  I will never go on the cheap again.  Plus, lots of great freebies, which always is nice. 

Honored Contributor

I agree. I will not buy a TSV with a foundation or concealer in it unlessI've been able to find and try it out locally. I  was burned a few times and don't want that to happen again. A product you can't use is neer a good value, so matter what the price.

Esteemed Contributor

Anytime I hear the "love, love" and "it's for everybody!" if I'm that tempted I get a sample or trial instore on on the bay.

My last amazing, amazing was an Armani foundation which ran out of the tube like water.

It was anything but amazing, amazing and it went into the bathroom trash in a flash.

Trusted Contributor

Of course it's important to wear the right shade of foundation. No question about it. However, I've had both good and bad matches done in department and makeup stores. Some have such harsh lighting that what you see in the store vs. what you see in daylight are two different things. The key is making sure you can return your purchase if you find it doesn't work for you.

Trusted Contributor

Lisa Eldridge has a great set of videos on foundation, including choosing the right shade.

Start here:

http://www.lisaeldridge.com/video/25667/how-to-shop-for-the-perfect-foundation/#.Vfyjz99VhBc

Super Contributor

I was "color matched" a Sephora recently, came home with 3 samples  all too pale. I had better results with Nordstoms a year or so back but the foundation I chose broke me out. Frustrating! I guess I should commit to the time and try again in Nordstroms. I understand they have a beauty consultant that you can make an apt with, listing you preferences in coverage, finish, problems etc and they will have have foundations pulled from different brands that they feel might meet your needs pulled and ready to work with you. Since I really haven't had great luck on my own I think I may try this, I like going to one place and trying out several brands at once. They are great with samples and will always take a return if the foundation doesn't doesn't work well for you. Wonder if anyone on BB has tried this? 

Respected Contributor

@pas4116 wrote:

Lisa Eldridge has a great set of videos on foundation, including choosing the right shade.

Start here:

http://www.lisaeldridge.com/video/25667/how-to-shop-for-the-perfect-foundation/#.Vfyjz99VhBc

Thank you for the link. I sure got sidetracked and ran over and watched her foundation videos. I also subscribed to her site. Many times I have looked at her reviews but never actually subscribed to her.

Respected Contributor

I am a pretty easy match. My skin is a medium however I don't like foundations that are too yellow. Recently I was matched in Sephora because I wanted to try the new MUFE HD Stick Foundation. The lighting in the store was so dark and I was concerned that my match would not work in regular lighting. The color which I was matched was 128 and it is pretty close. It might be just a tad too dark but I can get away with it. My complaint is the lighting in the stores is not very helpful.