Honored Contributor

I'm finding my first downside of longer hair: it's difficult to sleep with hair all over my face. I also don't like the idea of laying on mousse, gel or styling products on my skin. I purchased satin scrunchies from Amazon and am wearing a messy, loose bun at night to keep my hair off my face. 

Definitely never had this this issue with shorter hair. Anyone else do this?  

Occasional Contributor

I wear my shoulder length curly hair up on the top of my head at night with one of those spiral type holders, very loosely, and my hair looks perfect in the morning when I take it down. Much more comfortable for sleeping, and my hair doesn't get all frizzy from sleeping on it! 

Respected Contributor

I don't do this at night. But I have thick medium length hair so after i shampoo and blow it out I put in in a low ponytail and leave it that way for about 1/2 hour and then brush it out. It looks so much smoother and keeps the blowout longer. But hey maybe I'll try this at night. 

Honored Contributor

@JennyBr wrote:

I wear my shoulder length curly hair up on the top of my head at night with one of those spiral type holders, very loosely, and my hair looks perfect in the morning when I take it down. Much more comfortable for sleeping, and my hair doesn't get all frizzy from sleeping on it! 

@JennyBr   The thing that looks like an old phone cord? I was afraid that would pull. No?

Occasional Contributor

Nope, doesn't pull at all. You just have stretch it out before trying to remove it. Rarely takes any hair with it, and doesn't leave a crease mark either!

Valued Contributor

I almost always french braid my hair before bed. It looks like a hot mess by morning, but it stays out of my face during the night. :-)

Super Contributor

I've had long hair all my life and every night I have to put it somewhere - usually on top of my head.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

I use a medium size hair claw to pull the hair framing my face up and away from my face. I place it on the top of my head and leave the hair at the back loose. 

Respected Contributor

@Shanus  Use invisibobble to hold hair. Never pulls or gets caught in hair.

Honored Contributor

Re: TYING UP HAIR AT NIGHT

[ Edited ]

Just recently I stopped wearing my hair up, loosely, in a top knot. I've done that for years. I believe the nightly pulling, though not tight, was causing me to experience traction alopecia (you can look that up). My hair is long and somewhat heavy so that makes sense to me. The bun on top was too heavy for it to be in one spot where it was putting too much weight and pulling in one spot on my head...no more. I want to keep my hair from falling out so now it flows freely at night.

ETA- For some people it doesn't take much pulling to experience that kind of hair loss. It's the repetitive bun-wearing that did it for me...I'm a bit shocked about this but hopefully my hair will all grow back.