Honored Contributor

Re: TWEAK’D TSV INGREDIENTS

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@Shanus 

@Icegoddess 

I'll confess to not being as vigilant about ingredients as I should be, so I'm glad there are others that do.  I feel like I'm stealing your homework, but thankful you've done it.

Mostly, for me, when I read reviews, if too many folks have a negative view, I pass.  As soon as I saw there were multiple reviews that said it really dried out there hair, I knew it was not for me.

My hair is curly and fine, and color treated.  The LAST thing I need is something that will dry it out.

Not to mention I have a huge stock of products bought and used once that did the same thing.

For now, I'm keeping it simple using things I have that don't seem to damage my hair.

@Witchy Woman Sounds like a good plan. Curly hair is notorious for filling cabinets with products that never work. Every night, before I go to sleep, I say a little pray to the curly hair gods that my hair will be OK enough when I wake up and not too much fuss will be required. 

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@Shanus 

@Icegoddess 

I'll confess to not being as vigilant about ingredients as I should be, so I'm glad there are others that do.  I feel like I'm stealing your homework, but thankful you've done it.

Mostly, for me, when I read reviews, if too many folks have a negative view, I pass.  As soon as I saw there were multiple reviews that said it really dried out there hair, I knew it was not for me.

My hair is curly and fine, and color treated.  The LAST thing I need is something that will dry it out.

Not to mention I have a huge stock of products bought and used once that did the same thing.

For now, I'm keeping it simple using things I have that don't seem to damage my hair.

@Witchy Woman your hair sounds like mine.  I'm not sure why the scrubs would be drying.  The Moroccan Lava Clay is also known as Rhassoul Clay.  If you search on that you really won't find much bad to say about it.  But, it is also quite easy to find and there are plenty of recipes out there for DIY products using it.  However, something Denis and most other sites don't tell you is you shouldn't use it if you have allergies to metals like magnesium or aluminum since it contains at least magnesium and potassium but at least it doesn't contain the lead that bentonite clay does.  Also, it can dry out or inflame psoriasis or eczema.  

Since you color treat your hair, I assume you probably avoid sulfates.  I know I do since I color red which is the hardest color to keep.  His scubs include Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate which technically is a sulfate and will cause color to fade quickly.  It is even higher on the ingredient deck than the Moroccan Lava Clay which is supposedly what is doing the cleansing.  Why is that?  I'm assuming it's so you get that wonderful lather.  Maybe that is what is causing the drying issue.  Apparently the Cocamidoproply Betaine which is a gentle surfactant derived from coconut oil doesn't give a good enough lather even though it is also in the ingredient deck.  

There are plenty of other good ingredients in the scrubs so it really confuses me as to why he includes such problematic ones when I don't think they're needed.  

Super Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@Harpa lol  works for me -   I know I've used up plenty of products for "off-label" use.  I'd name brands, but why when I already know those same products work well for others.

off label use   I love that

Esteemed Contributor

@Icegoddess 

I can see you are very thorough in your research of ingredients, and, as I stated, I'm lazy in that department.

What I've learned about my hair over the years is less is best.

I mostly use sulphate free shampoo (not always, though), and conditioner.  I deep condition frequently.

When I get off that track, my hair is a mess.

Years back I tried  Tova's cactus something or other on my hair and it was a disastor.  It was a beloved product, but on my hair, it turned to straw.

My constant lesson is keep it simple.  But, I'm always tempted if I let myself get drawn in Cat LOL

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman , that's they're job, to draw you in.  

I only use sulfates for my final wash before I color.  I liked the idea of the scalp scrub because I sweat alot when I'm working outside.  But, when I saw it had a sulfate I decided to only use it before I color, so it will last me a very long time.  Sometimes I'll put conditioner on my ends and then shampoo concentrating on my scalp with a no sulfate shampoo to get a good clean scalp withouth drying out my ends.  I do feel like my hair needs moisture all the time, but I also don't have the time to spend deep conditoning.

Frequent Contributor

The scrub is the same as the HSN TSV, but I ordered that one and while I love the scrub, I didn't like the other product at all !! It's very thick and heavy.

When this TSV came on air I immediately ordered it on auto-ship and returned the HSN TSV since one of the products wouldn't have been used at all by me.

By the way, I had ordered two of the 6-piece set of 3-oz tubes that was the TSV last year and have used most of the scrub but am still on my first tube of the clayditioner.  I like it, but my hair is oily and I don't need much conditioner at all.  I'll have enough of the clayditioner to last me through at least both of the tubs of scrub from this TSV.

Respected Contributor

I have wavey hair with a slight curl in it.  My hair used to be so thick when I was in my teens, 20s, 30s that I would  break brushes!  I don't have that issue any more.  I really like the scrub a lot.  It leaves my scalp feeling super clean and my hair with a lot of great body.  Last week I used it twice, but I normally use it once a week, then shampoo with something else the other time(s).   My husband likes it a lot too.  We're all different.  

Good to know what's in it but I think I'll leave my AD for the time being.  I'm still waiting for this shipment which has been stuck at the Post Office for the past 3 days!  I'm currently using a small tub from a prior purchase.