Esteemed Contributor

Re: TWEAK’D TSV INGREDIENTS

@Shanus 

I wanted to try it, but many reviewers said it left their hair dry and tangled, so I'm going to pass.

It would be nice to have a trial size, but I'm not going to invest in a big tub of something with numerous bad reviews.

I'm happy for anyone that finds products that work for them, but I already have a basket full of hair care going unused, I don't need more.

Esteemed Contributor

I use it, love it, but definitely have to condition when using it.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus , I bought his set of scrubs awhile back so it was also an easy pass for me.  As far as ingredients in this particular line of his products, I find them better than a lot of his other stuff which relies a lot on silicones.  

The Tea Tree scrub does have a sulfate in it which is something I avoid due to my color, so I only use it when I'm clarifying before I color.  The only other 2 ingredients that gave me pause was the Polyacrylimide which can be irritating and the PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate.  I try to avoid PEG's because they can contain harmful impurities known to increase the incidences of uterine breast, breast, and brain cancer and leukemia.  It specifically should not be used on broken skin.  So, I find this ingredient more concerning than the parabens that so many have jumped on the bandwagon about but with little science about it.  

After that is Polyquaternium-7 which is a conditioning agent and the Cocamidopropyl Betaine which is a gentle surfactant derived from coconut oil.  Then you get into all the natural extacts.  Near the end are a bunch of amino acids and a preservative, Phenoxyethanol.  

What I did find with the trio of different scrubs and cleanditioners I got as the TSV was that some had more concerning ingredients than others.  One of them had an ingredient that specifically was meant to stay in your hair for up to 5 shampoos.  Talk about buildup.  It's aimed at people who straighten their hair and is heat activated, but I certainly don't want that in my hair, so I won't be using that set, at least not in my hair. I may try and sell it on Ebay since I didn't open it.

I find his whole "story" a schtick (sp).  He talks so much about how he uses naturual products and now even calls his product line "clean beauty".  But, some of the ingredients I find in his products I have to wonder if he really knows anything because if he did he might not want his mother using them.  The PEG's specifically comes to mind.  

That being said, I do love his Restore oil and use it daily as a finishing cream in my hair.  It does have all natural ingredients with the exception of Parfum.  

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess @Witchy Woman   What bothered me the most is similar to Josie's products. They tout their products as natural, ingredients gotten from rainforests, rare beans, etc. They don't mention all the other "stuff" added. It's very misleading leaving, as usual, the buyer to check ingredient deck of each item purchased. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Icegoddess @Witchy Woman   What bothered me the most is similar to Josie's products. They tout their products as natural, ingredients gotten from rainforests, rare beans, etc. They don't mention all the other "stuff" added. It's very misleading leaving, as usual, the buyer to check ingredient deck of each item purchased. 

@Shanus , I totally agree.  I just happen to be an ingredient junkie who likes to research the ingredients in my products.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess   Obviously, same here. I always want to know what I'm applying on my face/body just as I pay attention to what's in the foods I eat. 

Respected Contributor

I love Tweak-d.  It works great for me.  My hair has never been in better shape.  I'm in my mid 60's and was showing it's age when Denis brought out Tweak-d.  I wasn't crazy about the original in a can, but I love this version.  I also love the scrub.  I ordered it a few weeks ago on HSN with the giant size of the balm.  

Highlighted
Contributor

Tweaked is great... the prices are much lower than Wen, which is what I had only been using for over 10 years. And I have all my children switching over to Tweaked.  Denis has some wonderful specials and does not insist that you use the product for everywhere else on your body (is not paying for Wen to use for shaving my legs because I am not rich!) I am so glad both qvc and hsn are selling Tweaked.   

Respected Contributor

I have dabbled in some Tweakd products but have also discovered something. I have been using his regular shampoos and conditioners. Don't use them exclusively. A few years ago I had my husband using Tweakd. When it was almost used up, his barber told him his hair was dry. Never occurred to me that it might be Tweakd. Went on to using different products. Well recently I bought Tweakd Shampoo and Conditioner again. Now this was during the lockdown. My hair was definitely in need of a cut and color. However it was showing signs of dryness. I have an array of shampoos but discovered when I used Tweakd my hair seemed drier. The other day  there was only a little bit left and I decided to use to get rid of it. My hair felt so dry and coarse. Don't think that I will be using Tweakd for awhile. I have tried his CC but my hair is very thick and I just had to use a ton of it to get through my hair. Then I felt that I was defeating the purpose using so much,

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus 

@Icegoddess 

I'll confess to not being as vigilant about ingredients as I should be, so I'm glad there are others that do.  I feel like I'm stealing your homework, but thankful you've done it.

Mostly, for me, when I read reviews, if too many folks have a negative view, I pass.  As soon as I saw there were multiple reviews that said it really dried out there hair, I knew it was not for me.

My hair is curly and fine, and color treated.  The LAST thing I need is something that will dry it out.

Not to mention I have a huge stock of products bought and used once that did the same thing.

For now, I'm keeping it simple using things I have that don't seem to damage my hair.