Honored Contributor

PSA:

Please be sure if you use a foundation w/ SPF (even SPF 50) like the TSV, you apply sunscreen first on face, ears, neck, (back of neck if hair is short or wear it up) and down to bra line. 

No one can completely cover their face w/ an adequate amount of foundation to equal a layer of sunscreen first. I also don't wear makeup on my neck and chest, so those areas would not be protected at all.

I speak from experience when I say that melanoma is not worth the extra few minutes of applying SPF after skincare every day....rain or shine.

Thanks to those who have heard my "plea" before.

Valued Contributor

Your advice should be shouted from the roof tops...seriously.   I am 62 and have a lot of skin quirks from spending way too much time in the sun when I was a kid.  I would go to the local swimming pool and burn to a blister then go back and do it again...every summer for several summers.  I am red haired and blue eyed and back in the late 60's no one preached the message.  Truly fortunate that I don't have any skin cancer issues but if I knew then what I know now, sunscreen would have been my very best friend.

Honored Contributor

I always use SPF before this foundation.  I think the IT Celebration foundation is just ok, but I do use it for SPF.  I don't think the coverage is good at all.  I just like having the SPF over my SPF 30 or whatever I"m using.

I know it's not additive, but I like the powder foundation for touch ups.  If one is looking for a lot of coverage, this is not the product...imo

It's also a bit chalky.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Esteemed Contributor

Thumbs up @Shanus.  Makeup should not be relied upon for skincare or sun protection.  It's primary job is color, and regardless of how lavish the claims, it can never substitute for products scientifically developed to care for the skin and protect from the harmful rays of the sun.  

Respected Contributor

@Shanus, I just want to shake someone when they say that their foundation has an SPF in it and they feel that they are covered. No way! First of all no one is going to wear the amount of foundation that is needed. I agree that I also put my SPF down to my chest and certainly don't want makeup rubbing off onto my clothes. You would think in this day and age that this would be a no brainer.

Honored Contributor

My moisturizer has an SPF in it and then usually the foundation I'm using does as well.

They still say that most people do not put on an adequate amount of sunscreen, even when using a separate product, even on the body.  I would have to say I agree with that.   

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

My moisturizer has an SPF in it and then usually the foundation I'm using does as well.

They still say that most people do not put on an adequate amount of sunscreen, even when using a separate product, even on the body.  I would have to say I agree with that.   

My derm recommended a teaspoon! That's a lot, but when you figure face, neck and chest...