Valued Contributor

Re: TSV- Microdem MD by Trophy

I didn’t get it and, think it’s all smoke, mirrors & hype. I worked as the surgical nurse for a dermatologist/surgeon for nearly 10 years. That was back in the day of strong, painful face peels. Some women came back the next day looking as if they’d been burned. And, they had! A chemical burn! Not all peels did that, but for skincare obsessed women that requested it and had the indication, he did it. The peels we did back then that weren’t as caustic are what’s available OTC now.

He didn’t do microdermabrasion and his explanation to any patient that requested it was, “take a good sensible cleanser and put some demarara sugar in it.....that’s the equivalent of microdermabrasion”. And, back then it was! 

Certainly, we have very good formulations available OTC now. I use one 2-3 times per week. There are great ones out there with ingredients that used to be RX only. Also, a lot of them have plant based extracts that nurture at the same time. Read the ingredients to make sure you aren’t allergic or sensitive to any of the ingredients. 

If if you feel the need for a professional microdermabrasion, I would recommend one at a dermatologists office versus a spa. Even if an aesthetician performs the procedure,; they are under much stricter, cleaner and medical standards. 

IMHO the TSV isn’t a value at all. The “diamond” tip isn’t big enough. Sure, it will make your skin red...it’s vacuuming it! There is no “control” methodology besides the manufacturers. I worry about customers that will overdue it & end up at the Drs., office anyway and, possibly with an infection. 

Super Contributor

I had one and sent it back; not this exact model but one they sold without the case and mirror by the same manufacturer.

It rubbed my skin practically raw in places. It was awful.

My skin is somewhat sensitive, but not crazy bad. I am 62 and have combination skin now and wanted to smooth my skin out so that foundation would go on smoothly.

I know that I used this correctly. I watched the video here on QVC and youtube tutorials several times before I used it. I used it in the evening and by the following morning I was really sorry I had. I had red splotches on my face where the dry spots are. I am not going to say it left my skin literally raw in spots, but darned close to it. It took one of the extremely sore red spots, about the size of a dime, two weeks to go away. I was nervous that it was going to leave a few scars but it finally faded.

Never again. Not me, not an esthetician and not even a dermatologist will ever touch my face with one of these again.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I ended up cancelling my order, because I couldn't find any information about its safety/correct usage with Retin A and AHA's.  Customer service was closed by the time I thought of this, but I sent an email this morning asking about it.  If they say it's safe and give guidance for usage, I can always reorder the next time it's a TSV.  I've had time to do a bit more research, and I am still finding many more favorable reviews than negative.

ETA:  Just heard back from Trophy Skin, and they do not recommend using their devices if someone is using Retin A and/or an AHA product.  I am so glad I canceled yesterday.  If this information was ever said on air, I sure didn't hear it.

Contributor

The hosts are saying that this Microderm is "customer top-rated" but I cannot find one review on it. Not even stars. Where would I look? Since they keep saying it, I would like to read the reviews' ratings to decide if I should purchase this.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ConsumReporter wrote:

The hosts are saying that this Microderm is "customer top-rated" but I cannot find one review on it. Not even stars. Where would I look? Since they keep saying it, I would like to read the reviews' ratings to decide if I should purchase this.

@ConsumReporter 

You can read the reviews for this model:  item number A338693.

https://www.qvc.com/MicrodermMD-Diamond-Tip-Microdermabrasion-System-Trophy-Skin.product.A338693.htm...

This one is for sensitive skin:

https://www.qvc.com/MicrodermMD-by-Trophy-Skin-Sensitive-Microderm--abrasion-System.product.A308261....

Honored Contributor

After seeing demo of this TSV ...

I guess all those other skin exfoliation treatments/lotions and cleansing tools that QVC sells really don't work as well as we've been led to believe.

Respected Contributor

Long term use of a good Vitamin C serum and Retin-A you will get better results than a store bought micro-dermabrasion machine.
Respected Contributor

@IMW wrote:

...  I do use Light Stim and am happy with results but, I have found nothing to remove age and sun spots.

Good luck.

@IMW  Is this the same Light Stim used for pain?  What does it do for your skin?

Respected Contributor

I have this machine and I like it a lot.  It's not harsh at all and does a good job.  Not the same as in office but that's fine. I got it at $115 so I don't know why it's higher now, it's the same thing.  The main drawback to devices like this is trying to motivate yourself to use them!  Laziness often prevails.  

Honored Contributor

@ Montana wrote:

@IMW wrote:

...  I do use Light Stim and am happy with results but, I have found nothing to remove age and sun spots.

Good luck.

@IMW  Is this the same Light Stim used for pain?  What does it do for your skin?

@ Montana , they make Light Stims that are a different color for anti-aging.