Honored Contributor

TSV HAS RETINOL IN DAY CREAM WHAT?

[ Edited ]

We’ve discussed here that Retin A and Retinol products are better used at night. Why put it in the day cream WITH SPF?

Christine (the model at midnight) was said to have beautiful, makeup optional skin, but she also demos several other skincare lines at Q. That statement is misleading since they’re claiming Philosophy is responsible for her complexion. 

Honored Contributor

Re: TSV HAS RETINOL IN DAY CREAM WHAT?

I think the same with Colleen and her beautiful nails.  I think she demos more than one nail brand.

Honored Contributor

It’s important to note, for those who purchased the TSV, that the day cream and the night cream both contain retinol. Add every day exfoliation w/ the Microdelivery Wash and there may be trouble ahead. That’s way too much exfoliation and retinol in 24 hours. 

Super Contributor

I beleive Anne is only using their products.

Super Contributor

I had to stop using Miracle Worker creams they really bothered my skin.  I continue to use Hope In a Jar which does not irritate my skin.

Honored Contributor

Ok. So don't quote me here....don't ask me where I read this  because I don't remember the original source..  What I DO remember regarding retinol in day cream from the article is depending on the amount, depending on the delivery system and depending on the chemical makeup (there are different derivatives), you CAN use retinol in a day product without issue.

It was about a year ago that I came across this article and that part of it stood out because I remember hearing from all sources you should only use it at night. A few days later, Dr. Dennis Gross was on QVC Beauty and was discussing his retinol products and how you can use it in the morning but others at night, why, etc. I  use his line and found that everything he said was true (my skin LOVES his products). I contacted his office in NY because I did NOT want to mess up my skin and yes, depending on the above factors, retinol can be safely used during the day.

As to using amount of exfoliation one can do safely; that's a personal thing (IMHO). I have to be VERY careful but I can do daily as long as I stick to ONE type of exfoliating.

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

Ok. So don't quote me here....don't ask me where I read this  because I don't remember the original source..  What I DO remember regarding retinol in day cream from the article is depending on the amount, depending on the delivery system and depending on the chemical makeup (there are different derivatives), you CAN use retinol in a day product without issue.

It was about a year ago that I came across this article and that part of it stood out because I remember hearing from all sources you should only use it at night. A few days later, Dr. Dennis Gross was on QVC Beauty and was discussing his retinol products and how you can use it in the morning but others at night, why, etc. I  use his line and found that everything he said was true (my skin LOVES his products). I contacted his office in NY because I did NOT want to mess up my skin and yes, depending on the above factors, retinol can be safely used during the day.

As to using amount of exfoliation one can do safely; that's a personal thing (IMHO). I have to be VERY careful but I can do daily as long as I stick to ONE type of exfoliating.

@SahmIam  Retinol (or Retin A in RX strength) exfoliates the skin. Using it twice a day + the TVS’s included Microdelivery Wash, which has exfoliating beads, was my  concern.

Honored Contributor

@monks wrote:

I beleive Anne is only using their products.

@monks  I’m pretty sure I’ve seen here demo Elemis, Dr. Gross and PTR. Who’s to know in her own personal life what skincare she uses. It’s risky to assume she’s only using Philososphy. Also the models, to look the same for 10-15 yrs. must have the access to deep peels, lasers and/or “injections”. Nothing is as it seems. 

Honored Contributor

Totally agree with @Shanus. This is a dumb and counterproductive product.

A skincare company can encapsulate retinol to protect it while in the bottle. But once it's on the face, it is no longer protected. It will break down when light hits it and won't work properly. It's just not a good ingredient to use during the day.

But people will do what they want to do. So if you want to use retinol during the day, I guess it's better to use mixed with sunscreen than without.

Sunscreen is an ingredient type that is difficult to blend and stabilize well. And so is retinol. So if you buy a product with both in there, you are sacrificing quality and not doing the best you can for your face. You've got one foot on the brake and the other on the gas. But it's your face, your choice.

But really....put a metric ton of additional sunscreen on top of this stuff if you go for it.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

Totally agree with @Shanus. This is a dumb and counterproductive product.

A skincare company can encapsulate retinol to protect it while in the bottle. But once it's on the face, it is no longer protected. It will break down when light hits it and won't work properly. It's just not a good ingredient to use during the day.

But people will do what they want to do. So if you want to use retinol during the day, I guess it's better to use mixed with sunscreen than without.

Sunscreen is an ingredient type that is difficult to blend and stabilize well. And so is retinol. So if you buy a product with both in there, you are sacrificing quality and not doing the best you can for your face. You've got one foot on the brake and the other on the gas. But it's your face, your choice.

But really....put a metric ton of additional sunscreen on top of this stuff if you go for it.

Very well said @Porcelain.