Honored Contributor

TRISH GLOSS SET & WARNING INSERT?

When Trish was on HSN, I ordered several items. One was a set of 3 lip glosses in a tube with SPF. They arrived loose...not in their original packaging, so HSN included a printed insert explaining that this product is for external use only and not to be swallowed. It’s lip gloss. Of course some will be swallowed! Also if it gets in eyes, wash immediately and contact physician. Keep out of reach of children. 

WOW! That’s a pretty scary warning sheet for a product for your mouth. I called CS and I’m sure they heard me down the street asking how they can sell such a “dangerous” product. 

Next I sent an email to CS at Trish’s website. Her husband’s a dermatologist and works closely with her on product development...so maybe a gloss that’s harmless if ingested? 

I returned all the Trish items I purchased and although will keep my original planner, I no longer trust her products. I will depot my own shadows, powders and blushes and apply them to her magnetic pages. 

I’ll be spending the afternoon reading the ingredients and packaging on all Trish makeup I use. Unused makeup will be returned to Nordstrom ASAP.

Buyer beware!

Honored Contributor

Re: TRISH GLOSS SET & WARNING INSERT?

Shocking.... I'm sure the warning on these products were alarming but as litigious as the public is, it's probably more to cover their rears than anything else.... but, like you, I wouldn't buy it anymore either..... Woman Frustrated  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

Is this line based in California?  They have stronger labeling laws than anyone else in the country.  Personally I wouldn't worry one bit.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus Is this the three gloss set with SPF15? I loved the box it came in, btw!  I saw the warning as well but if I tossed every product that came with that (THANK YOU CALIFORNIA), I would have hardly any makeup.

BTW, Revitalash can't be sold or sent to CA. No way on this PLANET I'm giving that stuff up. When a GF moved there, she asked me to send it to her but I can get in trouble for doing that. So, when she arrives next week, we're hitting Nordstrom and buying all they have on the shelf (she is) and taking it back with her. She jokes she could make a fortune selling it; I'm sure she could. In any event, I'm not worried in any way about the insert.

Edited to add: The "swallowing" thing is because they don't want people eating it. Yes, I know. Look to Lancome's Juicy Tubes to be the reason. They use to have 30 plus colors; all scented and with flavors. 

Not anymore......

Trusted Contributor

Sorry, but those sound like fairly standard warnings to me. Lipsticks are designed "for external use only," not to be eaten. Similar to the fact that one might use mouthwash...of course a small amount will be swallowed. But you're still not supposed to drink it. 

I suspect that the main reason for the eye warning would be the sunscreen. Pretty sure most sunscreens aren't supposed to get in the eyes. But the FDA also regulates which areas of contact are safe for specific pigments and dyes. That's why some blushes aren't safe to use as eye shadow (tho the color would work).

If any of these glosses contain glitter, that could also result in both warnings. Even non-toxic glitter isn't designed to be consumed. A piece of glitter that would cause no problem on your lips (or even if it was swallowed) might pose a danger if it got in your eye.

Honestly, I think most cosmetics probably should be kept out of reach of children. It would be far too easy for a child to be fascinated by the "pretty colors" and use these products in ways they weren't intended for.

Definitely check ingredients, particularly if you have any known sensitivities. But be aware that unless you have a really good background in chemistry, it's very easy to get caught up in all the fear-mongering. It's not as simple as whether or not an ingredient is present. Many ingredients are safe, or even beneficial, in the right amount; but dangerous when used at thousands of times the amount typically used. For example water...people drown or can die when too much is consumed in a short period of time. That doesn't mean all use of water is dangerous. You have to consider the safely of the actual amount being used. You also have to consider the safely and effectiveness of other ingredients that might be used as an alternative. Unfortuantely, the fear-mongers make it sound as if the worst case scenario is the norm.

Honored Contributor

Well I am a chemist and have done a little work for the FDA. If you are concerned about any chemical then you always have access to the MSDS data base for health-related facts.

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee Only problem is that one still needs a bit of knowledge to interpret an MSDS/SDS. There can be a big difference in the potential for a negative effect between exposure to a tiny percentage of a chemical in a product and exposure to the the straight chemical. 

Honored Contributor

@juperier wrote:

@SilleeMee Only problem is that one still needs a bit of knowledge to interpret an MSDS/SDS. There can be a big difference in the potential for a negative effect between exposure to a tiny percentage of a chemical in a product and exposure to the the straight chemical. 

Yes, that is true and besides it can be quite a tedious task to even know what to look for to start with. FDA dot gov / cosmetics is another place to sniff around. This site is actually very informative and a bit more easier to understand. Woman Happy @juperier

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee  Yeah, I've learned a lot from the FDA site. It's actually fairly comprehendible, far easier to read than the actual regulations would be for the average person.

Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

Is this line based in California?  They have stronger labeling laws than anyone else in the country.  Personally I wouldn't worry one bit.

@depglass  Trish’s company and spa w/ her husband is in NY. I’m not worried because not going to use it...going back pronto.