Esteemed Contributor

Re: TRISH GLOSS SET & WARNING INSERT?

Agree that CA is over the top.  Any business you walk into can cause cancer or birth defects; anything you apply or ingest.  I think probably what this warning meant is if you find your kid sucking on it or something.   And I agree with the poster who mentioned the litigious nature of people.  As a result every possible warning has to be labled.

Respected Contributor

I've been using Trish McEvoy products for years without problems.  I love her line of makeup.  Yes, they're expensve but to me worth every dime spent.  So far the lip gloss hasn't killed me.  My chances of dieing are much greater walking across a busy street then using her makeup line. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

When Trish was on HSN, I ordered several items. One was a set of 3 lip glosses in a tube with SPF. They arrived loose...not in their original packaging, so HSN included a printed insert explaining that this product is for external use only and not to be swallowed. It’s lip gloss. Of course some will be swallowed! Also if it gets in eyes, wash immediately and contact physician. Keep out of reach of children. 

WOW! That’s a pretty scary warning sheet for a product for your mouth. I called CS and I’m sure they heard me down the street asking how they can sell such a “dangerous” product. 

Next I sent an email to CS at Trish’s website. Her husband’s a dermatologist and works closely with her on product development...so maybe a gloss that’s harmless if ingested? 

I returned all the Trish items I purchased and although will keep my original planner, I no longer trust her products. I will depot my own shadows, powders and blushes and apply them to her magnetic pages. 

I’ll be spending the afternoon reading the ingredients and packaging on all Trish makeup I use. Unused makeup will be returned to Nordstrom ASAP.

Buyer beware!

I stopped buying her glosses and lipsticks. They were often rancid after a week or two. Two of her lipsticks I received from Nordstrom were bad and I returned them immediately.  Her foundation started separating in a month. @Shanus..I bought her products for years without issues. In the last year, it seems things changed...

Esteemed Contributor

It is hard to believe that some people still don't understand that all natural does not mean safe. Some of the most damaging cosmetic and skin care products and ingredients on the market today tout "all natural". 

@Shanus, will you please take a picture of the warning to call poison control. Sorry, but Trish McEvoy doesn't have any more harmful ingredients in it than any other lip gloss out there. IF this alarms you, I suggest you stop using ALL lip glosses. Sounds like a standard warning that comes with every skin care line because there is a percentage of the population that would probably eat a bullet of lipstick if not warned not to and even then would probably still proceed to do so. I mean, seriously. I can't imagine freaking out this especially when this is most likely to do with prop 65 warning. lol..

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

Again, unless it said "Prop 65" in some part of the warning, it isn't a Prop 65 warning; rather, it is from the manufacturer.

California will be tweaking Prop 65 because of many complaints. That's fine. But I would never want them to give up on advising or warning us of potential toxic dangers.

I wish we had such a advisory on the national level. It at least keeps corporations and businesses on notice. As we've all noticed, they often try to get away with murder (pun intended).

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Sign.jpg

We live in a time where common sense has vanished.

There are signs and warning labels on everything and anything.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

My holiday planner from HSN came last week.  It included a lip gloss but no warning notice.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ShanusOk, I pulled my kit out (still in it's box) and looked at this warning. It looks like a Zeroxed copy of what would normally be on the box of the SPF 15 lip glosses. The warning "If swallowed, get medical help...." Is in the box that has bold print of KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

To ME, this is standard because little kids 1) put things in their mouths and 2) a child ingesting half of tube is GOING to get sick and the chemicals are going to be much worse on a young child than an adult. Shanus, is THIS what you're talking about? I would never have thought it was anything sinister/dangerous.....in fact, I don't. It's a warning for adults who may have young children around their makeup.

OF course you keep this out of eyes but so many are showing the "glossy" look on YouTube that many DO use lip gloss on their eyelids. Common sense...WASH IT OFF if it gets into your eyes, lol!! How about NOT putting it on your eyes.

I went and pulled some of my products that is Trish as well as Bobbi Brown, Charlotte Tilbury and Chantecaille... all glosses with spf. They ALL have these warnings. Maybe it's the spf. Maybe it's the gloss texture. Maybe it's because some fool used a product in a way it wasn't intended to be used and sued the company. I woudln't return any of my stuff based on this insert.

Wanted to add: This is the first time a Trish product I've ordered has come from CA. Usually they ship from TN. I assumed (WRONG of me) that the warning was the one that I usually see in other products due to Prop 65 and it isn't. I should have pulled it out FIRST and THEN posted but did not. I saw the warnings but didn't read it in detail until I started reading through the rest of the threads. Since the products came in a gift box instead of the usual white box, it appears that due to labeling laws, they had to include this info- which would normally be on the box the product comes in when purchasing from the store or her site.

Boy, I made a mess of MY posts on this thread, that's for sure!! : (

Esteemed Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@ShanusOk, I pulled my kit out (still in it's box) and looked at this warning. It looks like a Zeroxed copy of what would normally be on the box of the SPF 15 lip glosses. The warning "If swallowed, get medical help...." Is in the box that has bold print of KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

To ME, this is standard because little kids 1) put things in their mouths and 2) a child ingesting half of tube is GOING to get sick and the chemicals are going to be much worse on a young child than an adult. Shanus, is THIS what you're talking about? I would never have thought it was anything sinister/dangerous.....in fact, I don't. It's a warning for adults who may have young children around their makeup.

OF course you keep this out of eyes but so many are showing the "glossy" look on YouTube that many DO use lip gloss on their eyelids. Common sense...WASH IT OFF if it gets into your eyes, lol!! How about NOT putting it on your eyes.

I went and pulled some of my products that is Trish as well as Bobbi Brown, Charlotte Tilbury and Chantecaille... all glosses with spf. They ALL have these warnings. Maybe it's the spf. Maybe it's the gloss texture. Maybe it's because some fool used a product in a way it wasn't intended to be used and sued the company. I woudln't return any of my stuff based on this insert.

Wanted to add: This is the first time a Trish product I've ordered has come from CA. Usually they ship from TN. I assumed (WRONG of me) that the warning was the one that I usually see in other products due to Prop 65 and it isn't. I should have pulled it out FIRST and THEN posted but did not. I saw the warnings but didn't read it in detail until I started reading through the rest of the threads. Since the products came in a gift box instead of the usual white box, it appears that due to labeling laws, they had to include this info- which would normally be on the box the product comes in when purchasing from the store or her site.

Agree with what you have said and I feel a little shocked like you that anyone would think there is anything sinister or dangerous when it is obviously the type of warning you are talking about.

No, absolutely nothing to worry about at all.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

Agree with what you have said and I feel a little shocked like you that anyone would think there is anything sinister or dangerous when it is obviously the type of warning you are talking about.

No, absolutely nothing to worry about at all.

@SahmIam  @Irshgrl31201  Actually, I think this post started a very interesting, and hopefully educational, discussion. One thing to remember is that CA's Prob 65 Warning and FDA labeling requirements are two totally separate things.

From what I've read, I think most companies that wish to sell product in California likely print the Prop 65 Warning on all packaging printed for an item that requires it. That way they don't inadvertantly ship a package (or even worse, hundreds of packages) to CA that don't show the warning.

That said, I never saw any indication that Prop 65 was involved here at all. Just the "normal" warnings that I would expect. Because the glosses contain spf, they would fall into the "drug" category, which has different labeling requirements than cosmetics do. Thus the information provided must meet both requirements.