Honored Contributor

TODAY IS NEW LIPSTICKS DAY

[ Edited ]

I'm headed to the mall to look for new, or replacement  lipsticks. I tossed many of my older ones not used this past year. I cleaned off my discontinued tubes w/ alcohol and did the same on doe foots of gloss. 

This really comes at a convenient time since now with my grey hair, I'm "forced" to go for a brighter lip. Not ready for a red, but going to look for a bright, rosey tone. 

Any siggestions?

Honored Contributor

Re: TODAY IS NEW LIPSTICKS DAY

@Shanus If you are looking for lighter lip color, L'Occitane has some nice ones as does Bobbi Brown.  They are sort of a gloss, but more staying power and easy to apply without a mirror.  They are in tubes too, which I like.

Also for summer, Clinique's chubby sticks are great.  They do have color but not heavy looking--perfect for summer wear.  I like some of the fruit colors especially and have both pink and more apricot colors. Both are good! 

Esteemed Contributor

Glad to hear you'll be shopping for a bright and pink.  I'm seeing lots of TV News anchor ladies going with dark maroon - b/c they are wearing dark maroon.

To me - they look either dead or have bloody lips.  They seem to think all matchy-matchy

is necessary.  UGH

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Shanus If you are looking for lighter lip color, L'Occitane has some nice ones as does Bobbi Brown.  They are sort of a gloss, but more staying power and easy to apply without a mirror.  They are in tubes too, which I like.

Also for summer, Clinique's chubby sticks are great.  They do have color but not heavy looking--perfect for summer wear.  I like some of the fruit colors especially and have both pink and more apricot colors. Both are good! 

Thanks @Sooner . I've given up BB lipsticks a few years ago because many are "brown based". OK when I was a brunette, but with silver hair, need a more cool toned lip. I'll check out your suggestions. 

Frequent Contributor

@Shanus I'm really loving the new Dior Rouge lipstick! I bought the 080 Red Smile satin. Good staying power and I'm shocked that it's so flattering. First red I've bought in a long time. 

Lots of other colors besides red.

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Glad to hear you'll be shopping for a bright and pink.  I'm seeing lots of TV News anchor ladies going with dark maroon - b/c they are wearing dark maroon.

To me - they look either dead or have bloody lips.  They seem to think all matchy-matchy

is necessary.  UGH

@fthunt   I've noticed that, too. Sometimes a darker, brownish lip can end up looking like slices of liver across the lips. Darker shades also make the lips look thinner. 

Respected Contributor

I haven't seen the dark maroon lips, but have seen a resurgence of bright rosy pinks and reds, which are my best shades at this point with fair skin, blue-green eyes, and greying hair.  They bring much needed life to my face and brighten my eyes.

There are so many I like but right now am wearing Dominant, Pure Color Envy by EL.  Tumultuous Pink is right next to it on my vanity.

I try others, but always return to these.

Pop Punch by Clinique is also great.

Honored Contributor

@hummermom wrote:

@Shanus I'm really loving the new Dior Rouge lipstick! I bought the 080 Red Smile satin. Good staying power and I'm shocked that it's so flattering. First red I've bought in a long time. 

Lots of other colors besides red.

@hummermom   I usually don't spring for high end lipsticks because I love to have so many choices, but I'm ready to treat myself. I'm going to check Chanel, Tom Ford, MAC and will check the Dior Rouge. After a year of nothing but Burt's Bees or drugstore balms, I've saved lots of money. 

My lip pencils are still good since i purchase the ones to sharpen. I usually line and fill in so lipsticks stay on longer. 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like Clinique really well.  Not matte shades, just don't like right on me.  They also have a Moisture Surge balm with a few shades which are nice too.  I used to like L'Oreal Peony Pink.  It's really pretty, but I don't care for the fragrance these days.  But such a pretty pink.

Honored Contributor

Not thrilled going to the mall since gas is still an issue here, but ordering from computer pics are never accurate. This requires an up close and personal purchase. I'm finding stores have removed the plastic coverings over the displays so you can swatch shades again.