Honored Contributor

Hi Beauties.  What happened to May?  I hope you all had a great week -- it has been very hot in my area.  Let's talk beauty and purchases.

alba Botanica Sunscreen, fragrance free, clear spray, SPF 50.  Excellent product.  NOT Sticky, dries quickly.  I love this for my arms, neck and hands when going out.  I am not a lady that wears shorts so no need to spray legs.  

I hope you all had a great Memorial Day.  Get out there and start shopping for those beauty bargains.  I need to make a trip to Walmart shortly.  Share your purchases and/or reviews.  Stay Pretty, Beauties!   HeartCat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Re: THURSDAY BEAUTY P&R 5/31/18

[ Edited ]

Last week I received a small bottle of Cacay oil. I've been using it sparingly on my face and neck...two drops is all I use to cover both areas. After the second day I noticed my skin was getting very red just like it does when I use tretinoin. My skin started to peel and  get very dry. The cacay oil has a naturally large amount of retinol in it and I think my skin might have been having a reaction to it. It's strange because I don't have that problem with tretinoin. I have stopped using the cacay oil and my skin has returned to normal. This came as a surprise to me and I really was looking forward to using the cacay oil but not now.

@Texasmouse did you have anything like this happen with the cacay oil?

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee  I am glad you shared this review as I have sensitive skin and I could never use that oil.  Glad you are okay.  

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

I am finding that usually Walmart Canada stores have the cheapest prices for drugstore makeup. I am kind of sick of my regular makeup routine so I bought some new Maybelline makeup this week.

A Pink Edge City Kits palette. I like the pink blush, the highlighter, and 4 of the 8 eyeshadows, the lightest or cool toned shades.

I also bought a Maybelline eyeshadow quad called Mocha Motion. I think this particular quad has been around for a while and has undergone several compact redesigns from googling this palette color for reviews. It has cool toned matte and satin pans and is a fairly basic neutral palette.

I also bought 2 shades of the Maybelline Tattoo Studio brow gel in soft brown (which is too light by itself) and medium brown which is the right shade for me. I watched some youtube videos and a lot of the gals use a small angled brow brush to dip onto the doe foot wand first before using the angle brow brush to apply the product. I then use a spoolie brush to comb through my brows as this stuff tends to dry crunchy if you don't use a spoolie to comb through your brows. I plan to use both shades and use the darker shade where I need more coverage since I am filling in bare spots in my brows

Lastly I am re-trying a bottle of the Maybelline Fit Me! hydrating foundation in the shade 120 Classic Ivory. I also bought a Fit Me! concealer in 15 fair and a Fit Me! pressed powder in shade 130 as the 120 shade looked too light. So far so good with these items.

Honored Contributor

@TY,

I have been interested in that Maybelline brow product for a while now. I've seen many good reviews for it.  Thanks for the tips on how to use it. I'll have to check out the YT vids.Woman Happy

Esteemed Contributor

There are several Mally makeup products I like anyway, so I kinda went nuts when I watched an entire Mally show a few afternoons ago.  *Free shipping* will win me over every time!   Ordered her Neutralizing Primer (which I use almost every day anyway), her gel pencil eyeliners (haven't owned Mally's eyeliners in years), and a new-to-me foundation (which might be too oily... we'll see).  

I've been using Mally's Neutralizing Primer for over 2 years.  It honestly works to camoflage my blotchiness and gives me an even-colored complexion under foundation.  When I'm in a hurry, I use this primer as a foundation.  I highly recommend it.

It was time to toss all my old eyeliners and buy new - so Mally's set of 4 gel liners will come at a perfect time.  Plus I like all those colors - not a bad one in the bunch!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

I didn't purchase this week, but I finally opened it and tried the prodcuts this week. 

Screen Shot 2018-05-31 at 3.33.27 PM.png

It retails for $12.49 on target's website, which is pretty expensive considering how tiny  each product is.  I tried out each product and was not impressed by any of them.  The cleanser, toner, moisturizer and mask are just OK.  I might try it out longer and see if I like them any better.  But so far, I would not recommend it.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee I'm sorry you're having this reaction! I've been using mine on my neck only (two to three drops) but I put on a moisturizer first and let it absorb, just like I do with the tretinoin on my face. I haven't had any irritation. 

Honored Contributor

@Texasmouse,

Oh okay. So maybe I should apply a moisturizer first and see of that helps. It just never occurred to me to do that since it's an oil and I thought that would be hydrating enough. I'll give it a go with the moisturizer. Thanks so much for the tip.Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@momoftwo2007   If you really don't like it, I believe Target will give you a refund.  You can call and find out.  

kindness is strength