Honored Contributor

Hi Beauties,  We have 3 days of beautiful weather high 60's and low 70's then back to the 40's.  Hopefully, you all have been shopping.

Aveda's Inner Light Tinted Moisturizer w/SPF - I purchased the lightest shade and it works but I also ended up purchasing the next shade but it was too yellow so I returned it.  The lightest shade works as I tested it out in the sunlight.  Very nice texture and a light coverage but you can build up to a medium coverage.  

I hope you all have a really great weekend.  Stay Pretty, Beauties, and share your purchases/reviews,   Cat Very HappyHeart

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

Re: THURSDAY BEAUTY P&R 4/12/18

My beauty purchases are going to cover the 3 weeks I was in Australia. The land down under carries many well known drugstore and department store makeup brands but even drug store brands in Australia are very expensive -- I would guess more than twice the U.S. price. One of the things I noticed was that Revlon was sold at department stores and the prices weren't listed in the Myer and David Jones department stores I visited in downtown Melbourne. A bottle of Revlon foundation sells for more than $40 dollars Australian. That is about twice the price of a bottle of Revlon foundation in Canada and the Aussie and Canadian dollars are about on par with each other.

So here are my purchases:

The Myer department store had a clearance bin of Revlon and other makeup so I bought a Revlon Colorstay brow powder trio for $3 and an Australis banana powder (a yellow based setting powder) for $6 Australian dollars. I also bought a Deciem The ordinary 10% lactic acid, 2% hyalauronic acid serum (which is made in Canada) for about $12 Australian dollars.

Drugstore - W7 bronzer strip powder. Too glittery but I paid about $5 AUD.

Maybelline Gigi Hadid cool colors small eyeshadow palette and a tinted makeup primer. Both $5 each from Priceline Pharmacy which is a national drugstore chain in Australia. I guess Gigi Hadid's Maybelline collab was too expensive as a lot of it ended up on clearance and one store I visited in Perth had these and lipsticks in the $5 clearance bin. I laughed when I read that the eyeshadow palette I bought was made in Canada -- it is rather nice though! The tinted primer for light to medium skin tones is way too dark but it can be mixed with a white sunscreen to create your own tinted suncreen.

Maybelline Master Sculpt contour/highlighter duo powder. This is only available in Australia as I've never seen in in the U.S. or Canada. The square compact is about the size of a Maybelline Fit Me pressed face powder. This has a nice texture and I bought it on clearance at the Chemist Warehouse drugstore in Australia.

M.U.D. peach pressed blush. This has various stripes of peach and this Aussie designed but made in China makeup line was a nice product for $6 Australian dollars.

4 sunscreens -- a travel size tube of Cancer Council SPF 50 active sunscreen. This is not greasy but I only found the travel size in Sydney at a Chemist Warehouse which is another national Australian drugstore chain.

Woolworth sunscreen SPF 50. Woolworth is a national grocery store chain in Australia. This was a nice but an average feeling texture to the sunscreen.

Priceline Pharmacy SPF 50 sunscreen. This was cheap but I don't like the sticky texture. I bought this when I forgot to bring one along on the way to the beach. I brought it back to Canada but may end up donating it.

Shiseido Senkka SPF 50 PA ++++ from the Merry Seasons asian beauty store in Melbourne. This sunscreen dries to a matte finish so it's good for humid climates. I know you can buy this from Amazon's U.S. website. This was the best sunscreen by far, IMO.

Respected Contributor

@Katcat1, we are finally getting some spring weather. However, next Monday back to a high of 39 with snow. Woman Sad Taking advantage of the Sephora sale this week with Hourglass Mineral Veil Foundation, Tom Ford Patent Lipcolor and getting my daughter a few things. 

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

Hi Beauties,  We have 3 days of beautiful weather high 60's and low 70's then back to the 40's.  Hopefully, you all have been shopping.

Aveda's Inner Light Tinted Moisturizer w/SPF - I purchased the lightest shade and it works but I also ended up purchasing the next shade but it was too yellow so I returned it.  The lightest shade works as I tested it out in the sunlight.  Very nice texture and a light coverage but you can build up to a medium coverage.  

I hope you all have a really great weekend.  Stay Pretty, Beauties, and share your purchases/reviews,   Cat Very HappyHeart

Hi @Katcat1. I purchased Anastasia Brow Powder (has 2 shades) in medium brown for a more natural brow than pencil...tried it at ULTA & liked it. 

Have a wonderful, hopefully warm & sunny 😎 weekend.

Trusted Contributor

Took advantage of the Bobbi Brown 25% off and purchased 2 lipsticks, a shade of eyeshadow I have been unsuccessfully searching for in the drugstore (taupey with purple); and one of her mascaras.  Also ordered 2 Lippmann nail polishes - love these - and liking the new gel formula.  Threw away 2 Doll 10 mascaras - I honestly wonder how they got the presentation on tv done and looking so great.  I've been applying mascara now for more than 40 years and it just looked like next to nothing.  Stay gorgeous everybody.

Honored Contributor

@aggravated wrote:

Took advantage of the Bobbi Brown 25% off and purchased 2 lipsticks, a shade of eyeshadow I have been unsuccessfully searching for in the drugstore (taupey with purple); and one of her mascaras.  Also ordered 2 Lippmann nail polishes - love these - and liking the new gel formula.  Threw away 2 Doll 10 mascaras - I honestly wonder how they got the presentation on tv done and looking so great.  I've been applying mascara now for more than 40 years and it just looked like next to nothing.  Stay gorgeous everybody.

@aggravated  I checked the Bobbi Brown 25% sale, too. I was hoping to find something. It’s been awhile since anything new has caught my attention. The price of their tiny Hydrating Eye Cream is ridiculously high considering my SkinCeuticals Eye Balm is almost 1/2 that price! Mr. Lauder has now geared the line to younger buyers, but is pricing them out of the market. Too bad.

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@aggravated wrote:

@aggravated  I checked the Bobbi Brown 25% sale, too. I was hoping to find something. It’s been awhile since anything new has caught my attention. The price of their tiny Hydrating Eye Cream is ridiculously high considering my SkinCeuticals Eye Balm is almost 1/2 that price! Mr. Lauder has now geared the line to younger buyers, but is pricing them out of the market. Too bad.

Yes, the prices are awe inspiring.  The 25% sale helps.  They discontinued a lot of their BB products too!  Lots of lipsticks gone.

Respected Contributor

I finally tried the black La Metier de Beaute Precision Lash Extreme mascara I got in their beauty steal a few months back.  I don't like it at all.  I'm not super picky about mascara and am normally fine with just about anything.  Lately my favorite is an Ulta mascara I can get for cheaper than drugstore when I combine deals and coupons.  But this is too thin, and smudges all day long.  I've never had so much smudging.  Plus, even with 3 coats, it doesn't seem to make any difference on my lashes.  So glad I love the kaleidoscope eyeshadow from that kit, because this mascara isn't worth the price at all.

I do like the brush, which seems to find all my tiny and normally invisible lashes.  So I might try using this as a first coat under a weightier mascara.  But if that doesn't work, I'm pitching it. 

Frequent Contributor

Hello! Purchased Josie's OTO of 4oz argan oil and spf moisturizer for 89$ great deal plus beautiful rose shade lipstick by lancome 343b ! Love ! 

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

It was a tough decision, but I returned the most recent Peter Thomas Roth TSV. No question, it was a tremendous value. Reasons are as follows: There are other cleansers I prefer, and this one seemed particularly drying. The face and neck cream was ok for my neck but way too heavy for my face. The eye cream was ok, but I've seen better results with others. Lastly, the Retinol Fusion PM felt great, but after two weeks of use, I had to admit I was looking very blotchy. I've used prescription tretinoin and over-the-counter retinols, retinals, retinaldehyde, retinoate, and have seen better results with those.

I haven't purchased anything to replace these items. I have plenty to go through and am about to hit retirement age and have to consider cutting back on my product purchases.