Honored Contributor

It may help to apply foundation first. I know many do concealer first and then foundation. Depending on the difficulty of concealer matching, applying foundation all over, especially lightly under the eye (well moisturized), can sometimes eliminate the need for a heavier application of concealer. Also, foundation first helps the concealer to blend with it so the match can be easier. 

***Do eyes first, so there's no fallout after blending/applying concealer. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: THOSE WITH CONCEALER ISSUES

[ Edited ]

Did you happen to catch Josie selling her foundation, 2 jars for the price of ? I don't remember. But anyway the one model was demostrating putting it on and all she got was a mess. It wouldn't blend, it was sitting there on her cheek like when your moisturizer won't absorb and looks like little lint pills. At least I think it was foundation, unless it was some tinted moisturizer. Whatever it was she said it was buildable for more coverage. I didn't watch the whole demo but did catch that.

Honored Contributor

@shaggygirl   Not exactly about concealers, but doesn't sound like a great demo to sell foundation. Maybe why a 2 for price of 1...being discontinued for difficult application. 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I recently had a makeup session at Bobbi Brown to try new foundations. I complained to them about not being able to cover my dark circles, even though I use both the corrector and concelaor. She asked me if I use foundation under my eyes first. I said yes. She said no. That is why your concealor and corrector are not covering well. There's too much slip. You need to place under eyes without foundation. I started doing that and it made a world of differnce in the lasting power. Just sayin.....

Respected Contributor

I have always applied my foundation first. A makeup artist mentioned to me years ago that when you apply concealer first then you end up wiping away some of it when applying foundation. I also do my eyes first because I usually end up having to clean up something after applying my eye makeup. 

Honored Contributor

Last week, it was either Laura Geller or Mally who mentioned that you should always put foundation first, then concealer.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@shaggygirl   Not exactly about concealers, but doesn't sound like a great demo to sell foundation. Maybe why a 2 for price of 1...being discontinued for difficult application. 

@Shanus 

Yes you're right, not about concealers specifically. Duh on me, lol.

I remembered seeing the model using it to go over the redness in her cheeks to supposedly conceal it so I guess that's what got me a little off your subject of concealers per se. 

Honored Contributor

@curlygirl13 wrote:

I recently had a makeup session at Bobbi Brown to try new foundations. I complained to them about not being able to cover my dark circles, even though I use both the corrector and concelaor. She asked me if I use foundation under my eyes first. I said yes. She said no. That is why your concealor and corrector are not covering well. There's too much slip. You need to place under eyes without foundation. I started doing that and it made a world of differnce in the lasting power. Just sayin.....

@curlygirl13   My suggestion was one to try mainly for those having issues finding a correct concealer match. Sometimes blending foundation first and then concealer next helps to make the concealer match better. Personally, I choose to do concealer (under eyes) first because then far less tinted moisturizer/foundation is needed. Concealer on spots/blemishes goes on after foundation. 

Honored Contributor

I have always applied my foundation first then my concealer.  I do my eyes after I I do my foundation and concealer.  I don't have an issue with fall-out from eyeshadow.  

I know some people have an issue with concealer because they are buying the wrong color. Period.  Some make-up artists and YouTube influencers like their concealer to be a shade lighter than their foundation, some like it a little darker and some like it the same.  

My concealer matches my skin-tone like my foundation does because there are some weekend days when all I do is apply concealer.  If it was too dark or too light it would look awful.    

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I have always applied my foundation first then my concealer.  I do my eyes after I I do my foundation and concealer.  I don't have an issue with fall-out from eyeshadow.  

I know some people have an issue with concealer because they are buying the wrong color. Period.  Some make-up artists and YouTube influencers like their concealer to be a shade lighter than their foundation, some like it a little darker and some like it the same.  

My concealer matches my skin-tone like my foundation does because there are some weekend days when all I do is apply concealer.  If it was too dark or too light it would look awful.    

@Lipstickdiva   Re: Concealer shades. I have both shades...1/2 shade lighter for under eyes and same shade as foundation/tinted moisturizer for spot concealing. Looks strange to conceal on the face w/ the undereye concealer which is usually lighter to provide brightness.