Respected Contributor

Re: THINKING EVEN A BIT OF GOING GREY?

i colored on Tuesday as i hated what grey was showing and at the temples it's white. so no i do not like grey on me.    i looked so washed out and even sickly. it's my skin tone. in Prescriptives i was a Y/O. (yellow/orange) grey and yello not good.

last did my roots in January so i had about 2" (it shows more because i use a demi-perm it fades and there is no harsh line of demarcation)

so i only had one tube of color, 8N. i like to mix shades and add in a 9NB gold or a 9RG red gold. but i had run out of those and it was too late to get color , the stores closed. 

it actually looks no different using just 8N.

i am ME again. lol

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Speaking of the TSV, I wish the wig was offered in salt & pepper then I would consider it since I can't have my hair cut now.  However, my hair color is salt & pepper.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

Hubs shaved his head. Walked into the kitchen and I said, "Oh." He said, it's okay, I'll wear a hat. Alrighty then. He was thin in spots anyway and the back and sides were getting shaggy. 

I have more light brown with a little red in my hair than gray. No idea what total gray would look like on me. I can only hope I would have more of a platinum hue. That's a beautiful shade. I'm thinking of visiting this question a few years down the road when I turn 70. Just a deadline I set for myself. But this would be a terrific time to make that decision.   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

going on 70...never colored my hair....salt & pepper since my 30's....now more salt!!  i've always been happy with how my short hair grayed.......but i do need a haircut!!

Honored Contributor

Over my dead body!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

I did that once, to see how I looked. I didn't like the cut on the wig but felt rude returning it. So I kept it. I looked ok grey. Had to amp up the makeup though, I'm pale. 

I learned I sure don't like wigs. 

As to going grey, what I did was have my hair (which is dark) frosted a light color, like a platinum blonde. Then the idea was the grey in front would blend in and I could stop dyeing my hair brunette. Well...my hair at age 70 seems to be like my paternal grandmothers's. I don't remember her ever going much grey and even though my hair was a dark brunette, it's now growing in black. No grey, just the front streak and temples. Of course I now have an inch of dark roots. It's comical. 

Well, we'll get through this. Like most things. 

Trusted Contributor

I don't even know if my mother was grey or not.  She had her hair done once a week with a roller set so I  never saw any grey.  I know she did have a touch up every month or so maybe there was grey.  She lost her hair during chemotherapy and her hairdresser bought a wig for her.  My mom always joked around and said she looked like Martha Washington in a wig.  Unfortunately she got very ill very quickly and did not have much of a chance to wear the wig.  I do remember her joking around about it though.

Super Contributor

@Shanus   Your friend's plan to go grey w/out chopping sounds a lot like what I think I'm going to do.

My hair is now slightly above my waist and I normally wear in ponytail (I use silk SLIPS) of a low chignon. I wont cut hair short.

Even stylist mentioned my grey/white was coming in very pretty.

Honored Contributor

@Maestra1  Wishing you lots of luck and fun with it...Don't forget to adjust makeup if you think you need it. Stay in touch and let me now your progress.