Respected Contributor

Re: THE CORRECT WAY OF WASHING FINE, MED OR THICK HAIR TIPS!

@jeanlake  Thank You! Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

This is good to know. I have fine hair that tangles so easily. I always use the circlular motion when I wash my hair! I do use paraben and sulfate free shampoo.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I really don't think about it too much.  I wash & then condition.

BTW, my hair is both fine & thick.  People seem to think that fine hair (which is usually straight & has a silky smooth texture) is also always thin....not true.

Esteemed Contributor

I have fine hair, and I use Suave shampoo and conditioner.

When I soap my hair, I scrub my scalp, and really moosh my hair around.

When I use the conditioner, I use a shower comb and comb the conditioner through to the ends.

Afterwards, I squeeze the water out of my hair with an old cotton tee shirt.

My hair is never a tangled mess.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

I am old and I have oily, fine and very thick hair.  I wash it every other day at least.  I use L'Occitane shampoo because it makes lots of bubbles and rinses out well. 

I pour a blob in my hand, rub it all over my hair and scrub away.  Then I rinse, rinse, rinse and RINSE.  I do not use conditioner, never have.  My hair is clean, healthy and shiny.

At least for me it is simple but a pain to wash my hair so often.

Frequent Contributor

Great tips! Thanks for posting this.

Frequent Contributor

It makes me sad that was your experience, a good shampoo at the salon is a wonderful experience! It’s put me to sleep a few times!
Honored Contributor

@Kabella 

And some of them are so rough when they comb out your hair!  OMG - they jerk and pull!  I have had some be so rough it brought tears to my eyes!  I had to say something a couple of times and then they just looked at me like --- seriously?  I thought - are you that rough on your own hair or your childrens' hair?  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

@Kabella wrote:

In the past I made this mistake & using too much shampoo on my hair follicles & all over my head & the way I was washing it in a circular motion which would tangle, cause breakage & dry my hair. I am sure some of you already know the correct way but some of you might not, so hopefully this will help.   These shampoo that have a lot of lather are too harsh but a more creamy wash with a light sudsing is so much better & gets the scalp clean.(sulfate free) We all for the most part have the same size head right? All you need to do is use a small amount of shampoo (won't mention brands) warm in your finger, massage the scalp lightly in a side to side motion for the front & the crown. Take more & do the same to the rest of your head. You do not need to take that shampoo & use it all over your head because as you rinse it, the shampoo just flows down on your hair as your smoothing it out & cleans it. Use lukewarm water & that cold water thingy to rinse out conditioner is a no no for your roots. Most of you know, so if not HTH Cat Happy

@Kabella , thank you. I know that I tend to use too much shampoo and am trying to cut back on that. Did not realize about the cold water thing being a myth. Will skip that because I really don't like have cold water running down my body. 

Honored Contributor

However anyone wants to wash their hair, have at it.  I use a color safe, sulfate free shampoo but it does produce a lot of bubbles.  I have fine, straight hair that is on the thin side.

I put less than one pump into my hands, put that onto my wet head, rub it in then rinse it out.  When I get out of the shower, I dry my hair off, spray with a leave-in conditioner and use a really wide-tooth comb through it, combing it all back off my face.  I could never not comb my hair until it was 70% dry.

Because of the base color and highlights that are in my hair, when I first wet my hair it is supposed to be with cool water so the blonde and the darker don't bleed together.  

I have always washed my hair the same way.  If I am having fall-out, it's always been due to hair products, not the way I'm washing my hair.