Honored Contributor

Re: THE BEST MAKEUP and a REASONABLE PRICE......

On 7/30/2014 Butterfly12 said:
On 7/29/2014 brunette8706 said:
On 7/29/2014 Kind1too said:

Is it Mac that every one uses their numbers for telling their color of their skin. For instance NC15 or NW20?

Yes. NC = neutral cool. NW =. Neutral warm. The higher the number the darker the pigment.

I bought an under eye concealer yesterday and she color coded me for NW25 I asked her what the NW meant and she said Neural Warm. And it looked very natural you couldn't even tell I had congealer on. Love that!! And I do have warm undertones (yellow and olive)

In Mac's world NW does stand for "Neutral Warm." But in Mac's world, unlike all other companies, they consider "warm" to be in the red/pink family and "cool" to be in the yellow/golden family. So if you were labeled as being NW at MAC, it means you would labeled NC (neutral cool) just about anywhere else.

This is their system, counterintuitive that it may be, but they base it on the color wheel, where you can see that the red/pink looks warm or hot, whereas the yellow looks cool.

But if you read some blogs, you will see that not all MAC reps are well-versed in their own system. So confusion abounds.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

""Reasonable"" is one of those adjectives that is truly different for everybody. Smiley Wink

Valued Contributor

On 7/29/2014 brunette8706 said: CaitlinH - The only foundation I use from MAC is their studio fix liquid foundation. I love it.

I can't remember if she used the studio fix, pro longwear or the matchmaster but I remember her saying it was for oily skin like mine. Looking at the ingredients now, none of them would be okay for my skin considering all of the dimethicone in it (which really makes skin a slick surface, a no-no for oily skin). I'll never understand why all these companies say a product is good for a certain skin type when it really isn't.{#emotions_dlg.bored}

Esteemed Contributor

On 7/29/2014 Sassy Pants said:

The only thing I have ever liked by MAC is their brushes. Honestly their makeup is average at best.

I feel the same way. I have a friend who swears by it, but I've never been all that impressed.

Kiss

Super Contributor

On 7/30/2014 Poppet1 said:

MAC has fantastic blush and lipstick!

Yeppers!!!

Honored Contributor

MAC "O" is my go to lipstick shade. If I could only own 1 lipstick, this would be it.

Other than that, I've not been impressed with the MAC I've tried. I really didn't care for their foundations at all and everything else from eyeshadows to liners to mascara were average at best.

Frequent Contributor

MAC breaks me out something fierce. I even read online some people call it Macne! Within days of using Mac I am broke out all over. the eyeshadows were not anything I would buy again, the lipsticks have great colors but don't even stay on as good as drug store lipsticks.

Honored Contributor

On 7/31/2014 CrystalBlue1 said:

MAC breaks me out something fierce. I even read online some people call it Macne! Within days of using Mac I am broke out all over. the eyeshadows were not anything I would buy again, the lipsticks have great colors but don't even stay on as good as drug store lipsticks.

{#emotions_dlg.lol} That is too funny, I never heard that before.

Valued Contributor

I have really liked many MAC purchases over the years; however, I often overlook the brand. And I think it might be because I tend to think of "young and hip" when I think of MAC, and that perhaps the bolder colors are all they do. Now, I know that this isn't true. But it's stuck in my mind this way. I know their liners and shadows get great reviews, and many other things in their line.

Valued Contributor

Oh, and IMO, they are one of the most "reasonably" priced department store MU brands out there. Yes, pricey compared to CVS/Target/Walgreens. But cheap compared Chanel!{#emotions_dlg.laugh}