Honored Contributor

Re: TGIF Beauties! What Did You Up This Week 11/3?

1.  I purchased another set of 5 Josie’s mascaras (good price most likely just for holidays, so stocked up since toss every 3 months.

2.  Clairol Shimmer Lights shampoo & conditioner at Sally’s (purple) for my white hair 

3.  Tarte pale beige tone pencil for lining inner lower waterline. Great on mornings when eyes look red & tired.

4.  A tiny, thin flat iron (ULTA w/ coupon) for controlling a few wisps at ends of curls of my pixie cut. My other one didn’t have auto shut-off.

That was enough “damage” for the week.

***I had made an appt. at the Trish counter for the visiting national makeup artist. When they said to bring my planner so he could update “all” my colors, I canceled. I have more than enough Trish and $$$.

Esteemed Contributor

@rnmom  Thanks for info about the Ulta eyeliner.  I'm thinking the tester was probably old.  I often use an eyeliner brush to apply matching shadow over my liner (if it's not on the waterline).  Maybe that's why mine usually stays put.  But I shouldn't have to do that to get it to stay where I put it.

I bought a Physician's Formula Glide-On Gel Eyeliner in shade "Champagne" fairly recently.  Unfortunately it doesn't show up on my waterline, which is what I bought it for.  It glides on alright on the back of my hand, but tugs when I apply it around my eye.  It lasts on the back of my hand through several hand washings though!!  Too bad it's not made for that.  It comes with a little sharpener; maybe I need to sharpen it each time I use it?

Do they sell the shimmer strips liners as singles, or only in sets of 3?  I thought I remembered seeing those in sets, and I don't think I want to buy the two other colors just to get the purple.

I have not tried the WnW Photo Focus concealer yet.  The reason I haven't is that I have a few concealers open right now that I think I should try to use up before I go buying any more.  The problem is that none of them look really good on me.  I have a bunch of mediocre concealers (Avon, Elf, 100% Pure), that are okay for when I go to the grocery store, but nothing I would wear to an event where someone may be taking photos.  I guess if something like that comes up, I may have to purchase some Shape Tape or something, but for now I'm just trying to use things up.

I've also been putting off buying more foundation.  I keep telling myself that my full-coverage Rimmel foundation is all purpose, and that I just need to dampen my sponge more if I want to sheer it out.  But I would like something a little sheerer and more dewy.  And--once again--I have a couple of foundations that are just kind of okay, and I feel I should be using those when I want something sheerer.

I'm sure I'll wind up picking up something else when I see it on sale.  I've been waiting for 40% Off WnW at Rite Aid, but I haven't seen it during any of my visits there.  Maybe it happened and I missed it?  I don't know.  I'm not someone who will pay full price if I don't have to.  I'll just keep using the "meh" stuff.  To be honest, I still feel like I look pretty good most of the days I put on a full face, so it's no big deal.  But I would like to find a foundation and concealer that make me say, "wow!"  I just don't want to pay a lot of money for them.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Honored Contributor

I had to toss a WnW eyeshadow palette as it made my eyes water and itch.  Glad it was on sale so didn't spend much.

Getting low on some other things but not quite finished yet.  Did read about something on this thread I want to try tho!  

Respected Contributor

@mistriTsquirrelI've only seen the Shimmer Strips in sets of 3, that's partly why I haven't purchased the purple either! And I think all the sets come with black which I very rarely ever wear. But if I get them cheap enough I don't worry about it, I'll just toss the extra blacks. You sound just like me, I also shop at Rite Aid and wait for the sales too. They are having a BOGO free on Physicians Formula this week and I'm thinking about repurchasing the Mineral Wear Cushion Foundation. It's expensive and it doesn't last long and I don't like the cushion foundation delivery, but I do like the foundation and I don't like the ones I have here right now and with BOGO it's not so bad.

How is the Rimmel foundation, I haven't tried that one yet. I just don't love liquid foundations, I prefer ones in compacts with sponge applicators, but I don't want to spend a lot of money either. I just can't bring myself to spend $40 on one product. Maybe I need to explore some other drugstore options. But I prefer to buy cruelty free if possible so that really limits me too.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

1.  I purchased another set of 5 Josie’s mascaras (good price most likely just for holidays, so stocked up since toss every 3 months.

2.  Clairol Shimmer Lights shampoo & conditioner at Sally’s (purple) for my white hair 

3.  Tarte pale beige tone pencil for lining inner lower waterline. Great on mornings when eyes look red & tired.

4.  A tiny, thin flat iron (ULTA w/ coupon) for controlling a few wisps at ends of curls of my pixie cut. My other one didn’t have auto shut-off.

That was enough “damage” for the week.

***I had made an appt. at the Trish counter for the visiting national makeup artist. When they said to bring my planner so he could update “all” my colors, I canceled. I have more than enough Trish and $$$.

Hi, @Shanus!!  Did you mean to post this on the purchases thread?

I have a nude colored liner that I use on the lower waterline to look less tired, but I have to use a light hand when I apply or it looks really weird. Smiley Very Happy  It is the Rimmel Exaggerate Waterproof Eye Definer in shade "In The Nude."  I've tried using white-colored pencils before, but they are not subtle.  Nude or champagne colors look much better there, IMO.

Esteemed Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

@mistriTsquirrelI've only seen the Shimmer Strips in sets of 3, that's partly why I haven't purchased the purple either! And I think all the sets come with black which I very rarely ever wear. But if I get them cheap enough I don't worry about it, I'll just toss the extra blacks. You sound just like me, I also shop at Rite Aid and wait for the sales too. They are having a BOGO free on Physicians Formula this week and I'm thinking about repurchasing the Mineral Wear Cushion Foundation. It's expensive and it doesn't last long and I don't like the cushion foundation delivery, but I do like the foundation and I don't like the ones I have here right now and with BOGO it's not so bad.

How is the Rimmel foundation, I haven't tried that one yet. I just don't love liquid foundations, I prefer ones in compacts with sponge applicators, but I don't want to spend a lot of money either. I just can't bring myself to spend $40 on one product. Maybe I need to explore some other drugstore options. But I prefer to buy cruelty free if possible so that really limits me too.

@rnmom  Thanks for the heads-up on the Physician's Formula.  Perhaps I need to make a stop at Rite Aid this week. Smiley Happy

The Rimmel foundation I've been using is the Lasting Finish, which has become harder and harder to find.  The bottles look like this:

It gives pretty good coverage and stays put pretty well on my dry skin (I also use a primer).  But it can tend to look a bit flat.  I do like it though, I would just like to have something lighter and dewier in my collection as well.

Most store displays have replaced it with a similar-looking product that has a blue cap, but the new foundation doesn't have my shade.  So I have no idea how the blue-cap foundation performs.

Respected Contributor

thanks @mistriTsquirrel

I think Wet N Wild is buy one get one 75% off at Rite Aid this week too. I was thinking about getting the PF foundation that I mentioned but I think the price for one is $17 and I found the same foundation at Ulta online for $8.50 so I think I might just wait. There's so many other things at Ulta that I could get too and I have a $25 gift card coming. Plus with all the holiday specials coming up I'm sure I'll find something else beautiful that I just can't live without Smiley Happy