Highlighted
Respected Contributor

TARTE lip glosses make my lips feel numb! Waaaaa?

Has anyone else had this problem? Ewwww! Few seconds after applying a slight numb feeling! Going bac and want my S&H!!

Trusted Contributor

Re: TARTE lip glosses make my lips feel numb! Waaaaa?

Ah, that's a terrible Ella!  I've used glosses that are "plumpers" and they give a tingling, numbish feeling.  But if the Tarte isn't a plumping gloss, then it sounds like you might be having an allergic reaction.  That stinks!  It's so hard to find good products!  Btw, I use Chanel glosses and have had good success with color and quality.

Trusted Contributor

If they are "plumping" or "boosting" lip glosses, they contain oil of peppermint which causes the initial tingling or can leave the lips feeling numb.  I found out I had an allergy to peppermint oil the hard way.  I used a plumping lip gloss and after 4 hours or so, my lips were swollen, bright red, cracking and burning badly.  I went to the pharmacy to find something to help my lips heal.  I spoke with the pharmacist and she said I had a classic case of an allergic reaction to peppermint oil.  She also said some of the boosters use cinnamon, which, applied directly to the lips can cause similar problems.  Always check the ingredients of your lip gloss to see if oil of peppermint is present, if so; don't buy it.

It took me 6 weeks to get my lips back into shape.

Honored Contributor

@ellaphant wrote:

Has anyone else had this problem? Ewwww! Few seconds after applying a slight numb feeling! Going bac and want my S&H!!

which gloss of theirs does that? Some have peppermint oil or menthol which can do that. Otherwise, it may be that you are having some kind of reaction/sensitivity to another ingredient in them. I really dislike the tingling and numbing sensation many lip products give. To me it doesn't feel nice and I know it is just causing damage.