Honored Contributor

Re: TARGET: ANTI-THEFT STICKERS ON ONLY SOME FOUNDATIONS!!!

@Katcat1 wrote:

@Shanus  Is Target that stupid or did someone (body) try to sabotage Target? 

@Katcat1   There's always a chance of retail sabotage. I woke up to the photo and article.

Valued Contributor

@Tori3569 

I completely agree. I do not believe Target corporation would make such a bad business decision, and I also wholeheartedly agree that it only takes one employee making one bad decision to create a PR nightmare. 

This past week I had to get an antibiotic prescription filled at CVS. I went to my usual CVS, two blocks from my office, and they didn't have it. There was another CVS 3 miles away, over the bridge, that had it in stock. I made the drive and it was quite the eye opener. 

The second CVS was just so different from my normal store. Huge shoplifting mirrors in the corners; much of the merchandise was security locked. I felt uncomfortable the minute I walked in. The store had almost a prison vibe. This second CVS is in an older, lower income neighborhood and I'm sure they feel like they have their reasons for the measures they've taken......the over all feeling though was extremely oppressive. 

I ended up having to wait about half an hour for the prescription refill so I picked up some Essie polish and D cell batteries (had to get the store clerk, they were locked) and then sat in the back pharmacy area to wait. I met the nicest elderly gentleman (he was following his wife's orders and there for his flu shot lol), another female getting her prescriptions before leaving on a church trip, and another friendly young lady. I watched the pharmacist and her staff interact with all of them and they were so caring. A complete opposite from how the store's environment made you feel. 

The whole thing has really been on my mind ever since, and I'm not exactly sure why. I'm not so naive not to know that poorer areas are not going to be the same as suburbia....heck I've lived in poorer areas before. I guess it was just a harsh reminder of how different a routine task can be, depending on which side of the bridge you're on. 

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

This sounds to me like a fabricated urban rumor.  I don't believe it.

Hi @Kachina624 !!  👋

I don't know what the truth of the matter is, but I have decided to wait until the dust settles and more info comes out before I come to a conclusion.

We see these things posted on social media and in the news a lot, and sometimes they aren't what they seem.  Tomorrow it could come out that this was orchestrated.  Or not.  No way to know yet.  

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Honored Contributor

Seems odd there is only one lone picture being retweeted.

One picture.

One retail store (Target).

One retail store location (not identified)

I have a hunch it was very limited.

That particular manager at that 1 store probably did this and

the entire corporation is being dragged as a result.

Lots of people are replying saying they've seen the same thing,

but no additional pictures have been shown.

672F5089-4151-4102-B00A-2EAD9F7941DD.jpeg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

From a retailers  point of view, they would place anti thief stickers on products that tend to "walk away."    Some items are stolen more than others.  In grocery store in my area, baby formula is tagged, while other baby foods are not.

If pink panties go missing, but the white granny panties, do not, the pink panties would be tagged. 

A retailer should not have to be concerned with hurting people's feelings about what is and what is not tagged.  If they have a problem with thief of certain products, they have a right and obligation to tag them for anti thief.

There is no reading between the lines here.  A retailer is trying to protect their bottom line.

This whole thing sounds silly.

Honored Contributor

I do think it is probably an isolated incident (I hope so). Regardless - bad decision IMO. If theft is such an issue - lock it all up. 

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

Stores have ways of tracking sales and inventory. Is it possible only some shades were unaccounted for? If so, they did what they needed to do. Honestly, this is a head shaker. This is a financial issue pure and simple. 

@stevieb   So as not to discriminate, if there's a theft issue, put the darn stickers on ALL shades. It's just not right. There are enough issues like this already.

I totally agree, what were they thinking ?

Probably that they would try to limit theft of the actual items being stolen...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mj12 wrote:

I do think it is probably an isolated incident (I hope so). Regardless - bad decision IMO. If theft is such an issue - lock it all up. 

Locking it up is both inconvenient for customers and for store staff and costs money both for the cases and in staff time to go and unlock the case when customers want to see an item. Doing so would also lead to an increase in price to consumers and greater time spent trying to obtain an item. Again, if all choices aren't being stolen, why inconvenience everyone or create higher costs for everyone? Past a poiint, we need to be reasonable and accept that a retailer has the right to protect their merchandise. Loss prevention tags in retail are almost always assigned to items most likely to be stolen. There's nothing unusual about it. Their use is most likely based on data. One has to believe that no retailer is going to use these labels if there's no demonstrated reason for their use.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Putting the stickers on all of the bottles would raise the price all of about $0.0006. So fine, do that. Cost benefit analysis would indicate that being consistent would be overwhelmingly worthwhile.

Still hoping it's just a mistake or a stocking or shelving issue of some sort.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

I agree with those of you that disagree with shanus...why on earth even call such attention to this matter that a retail store manages as such??
I really dont like it, and you may be opening a can of worms...I'd be careful on this. As for me, I would never run such progressions. Seems some have more time on their hands to know better what to do with it...sad. Let's stick to beauty.