Honored Contributor

Re: T.I.P.S. nail conditioner

Try CND Solar Oil for a fraction of the price. Get it on ebay or amazon.

Respected Contributor

I have awful nails! Tried TIPS and it did nothing. In fact I've tried lots of products over the years. My nails continued to peel and crack. Since I started using Josie Maran argan oil on my face and rubbing the excess into my nails and cuticles, they are improving. Been doing this for about 5 weeks. I'm hoping this is really helping.

Valued Contributor

On 1/8/2015 majaca said:

Imo, qualitygal, TIPS is very pricey, and the bottles are SO small.

You go ahead Rac71 and Irshgrl....and continue to use parabens all you want. But, there are those of us who are wary of it, and thus it is our prerogative to NOT unnecessarily and daily or twice daily (TIPS instructions) rub said chemicals right into our skin, blood supply!

And, I am curious why, if parabens are SO safe, that more and more beauty products and 'other' type products, are adding disclaimers on their bottles/packages-saying NO PARABENS?? Thoughts on that?

http://www.breastcancerfund.org/clear-science/radiation-chemicals-and-breast-cancer/parabens.html

Hey, all I did was answer the question about why the oil-based product contained parabens as a preservative. Not all preservatives work with every formulation, sometimes parabens are the best option. Once upon a time, crackpot science swore any women with naturally large breasts would automatically get breast cancer. Reputable physicians didn't buy into it but plenty of other women told me to cut them off. Later, it was if you wear a bra or use deodorant. This was long before the breast cancer gene was discovered. If parabens really caused breast cancer, the number of men with breast cancer would quadruple. The beauty industry saw a marketing opportunity. If these companies really cared, formaldehyde, c-14 olefin sulphate, nonoxynols (skin-eating bleach used as spermicides and surfectants) and a host of other ingredients would be removed from all products AND the labels would reflect it. "Paraben-free" sells because it targets fear. There are also articles that say sunblock, which prevents skin cancer, causes other cancers. Anyone can post a website article. Did you notice your link is a fund-raising website? Even Wikipedia admits it doesn't fact-check. As a side statement, I can't beleive you are so petty and angry as to tell me that allergic reactions to the alternatives paraben are worthwhile; anaphylaxis kills too. Have you even ASKED your internist about the risks of parabens?
Contributor

On 1/8/2015 rac71 said:
On 1/8/2015 majaca said:

You go ahead Rac71 and Irshgrl....and continue to use parabens all you want. But, there are those of us who are wary of it, and thus it is our prerogative to NOT unnecessarily and daily or twice daily (TIPS instructions) rub said chemicals right into our skin, blood supply!

And, I am curious why, if parabens are SO safe, that more and more beauty products and 'other' type products, are adding disclaimers on their bottles/packages-saying NO PARABENS?? Thoughts on that?

http://www.breastcancerfund.org/clear-science/radiation-chemicals-and-breast-cancer/parabens.html

Hey, all I did was answer the question about why the oil-based product contained parabens as a preservative. Not all preservatives work with every formulation, sometimes parabens are the best option. Once upon a time, crackpot science swore any women with naturally large breasts would automatically get breast cancer. Reputable physicians didn't buy into it but plenty of other women told me to cut them off. Later, it was if you wear a bra or use deodorant. This was long before the breast cancer gene was discovered. If parabens really caused breast cancer, the number of men with breast cancer would quadruple. The beauty industry saw a marketing opportunity. If these companies really cared, formaldehyde, c-14 olefin sulphate, nonoxynols (skin-eating bleach used as spermicides and surfectants) and a host of other ingredients would be removed from all products AND the labels would reflect it. "Paraben-free" sells because it targets fear. There are also articles that say sunblock, which prevents skin cancer, causes other cancers. Anyone can post a website article. Did you notice your link is a fund-raising website? Even Wikipedia admits it doesn't fact-check. As a side statement, I can't beleive you are so petty and angry as to tell me that allergic reactions to the alternatives paraben are worthwhile; anaphylaxis kills too. Have you even ASKED your internist about the risks of parabens?

I said no such thing: "As a side statement, I can't beleive you are so petty and angry as to tell me that allergic reactions to the alternatives paraben are worthwhile; anaphylaxis kills too. Have you even ASKED your internist about the risks of parabens?"

Lol. Re-read your posts, you are def the angry one. Take a chill, whoa. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin} We disagree, so what.

Respected Contributor

Don't care about the tempest in a teapot over parabens: if you're allergic, don't use the products. I've been using TIPS for years and my nails are great ( I'm 70 ). Because of the high price, I've tried many other products recommended on these boards. Minimal impact, so I'lol stay with TIPS.
We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

On 1/8/2015 majaca said:

Because of people like you, who buy into and spread the fear without doing real research. If you want to link a cancer site with information, let's try this one, which gives a much clearer picture. The American Cancer Society is a well known and reputable source, while I've not heard of the organization you liked to.

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/othercarcinogens/athome/antiperspirants-and-breast-cancer-...

Should I be concerned about parabens?

Parabens are chemicals used as preservatives and as food additives. They can be found in many types of make-up (like lipstick, mascara, concealer, and foundation) and skin care products (like lotion, shaving products, and sunscreen). Parabens can be absorbed through the skin.

Intake of parabens is a possible concern because studies have shown that parabens have weak estrogen-like properties. Estrogen is a female hormone known to cause breast cells (both normal and cancerous) to grow and divide. And some conditions that increase the body's exposure to estrogen (like not having children, late menopause, obesity, etc.) have been linked to an increased risk of breast cancer.

In 2004, a small study found traces of parabens in some samples of breast cancer tumors. But there are some important points about the study findings:

• The researchers looked only for the presence of parabens in breast cancer samples. The study did not show that parabens caused or contributed to breast cancer development in these cases – it only showed that they were there. What this meant is not yet clear.
  • Although parabens have weak estrogen-like properties, the estrogens that are made in the body are hundreds to many thousands of times stronger. So, natural estrogens (or those taken as hormone replacement) are much more likely to play a role in breast cancer development.
  • Parabens are widely used as preservatives in shampoo, lotions, other cosmetics, and even foods. This study did not contain any information to help find the source of the parabens found in the breast tissue – it's not clear if they might have come from antiperspirants or from some other source.

Most people are exposed to parabens. In fact, studies have found some form of parabens in the urine in up to 99% of people in the US. But so far, studies have not shown any direct link between parabens and any health problems, including breast cancer. There are also many other compounds in the environment that mimic naturally produced estrogen.

Although at this time there are no clear health risks from parabens in food, drugs, cosmetics, and skin care products, people concerned about exposure to parabens can avoid products containing them. Consumer products containing parabens are required to list them as ingredients. Most parabens have names containing the word “paraben,” making them easy to find. According to the US Food and Drug Administration, most major brands of antiperspirants and deodorants do not currently contain parabens.

(emphasis mine)

Honored Contributor

Moi auci. (that just popped into my head while watching the terrible tragedy in France) Me too, I'm sticking with TIPS. I strayed this summer. My nail tech (pedicures only) recommend this thin clear strengthener that looked like colorless nail polish. I found I was allergic to that just like I am to any nail polish I've ever tried. I went back to peeling breaking nails. So then I tried another nail oil QVC sells for several months, because it was about half the cost of TIPS. Some results but not great. After Thanksgiving I bit the bullet and ordered TIPS. Within weeks my nails have improved and I'm back on track to even length presentable nails. I use it first thing in the morning before washing my hands, that means in bed when I first wake up. DH thinks I'm nuts, whatever. That is a key point in their instructions I don't remember from before.

Contributor

For the last 8 years or so my nails have been brittle (no matter what time of year), peeling and breaking. I used to have beautiful hands when I was younger. I tried TIPS - no help at all. It was a waste of money for me. I tried Nailtiques - nope/not good.

I was googling the benefits of Castor Oil about 2 months ago and wouldn't you know it? The article I read said that it was good for nails. I bought a cold pressed Castor Oil from my Vitamin Shoppe for $3......some cents. I have been messaging it into my nails and cuticles every night before bed and I also message it into my nails & cuticles when I do dishes. I use rubber gloves for dishes and warm/hot water so it sinks in better. I also bought Butter Nail Strengthener and have been using it as directed. I've been at this routine for about 6 weeks or so and my nails haven't looked this good and strong for years! I am thrilled with the result so far. I'm even thinking about going in for a manicure which I haven't done either since my nails looked so bad I figured nothing would make a difference.

So there's my inexpensive alternate for TIPS. It's worth a try - it sure is working for me. I also use the castor oil on my eyelashes every night and they are much healthier.

Valued Contributor

On 1/9/2015 ChynnaBlue said:
On 1/8/2015 majaca said:

Because of people like you, who buy into and spread the fear without doing real research. If you want to link a cancer site with information, let's try this one, which gives a much clearer picture. The American Cancer Society is a well known and reputable source, while I've not heard of the organization you liked to.

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/othercarcinogens/athome/antiperspirants-and-breast-cancer-...

Should I be concerned about parabens?

Parabens are chemicals used as preservatives and as food additives. They can be found in many types of make-up (like lipstick, mascara, concealer, and foundation) and skin care products (like lotion, shaving products, and sunscreen). Parabens can be absorbed through the skin.

Intake of parabens is a possible concern because studies have shown that parabens have weak estrogen-like properties. Estrogen is a female hormone known to cause breast cells (both normal and cancerous) to grow and divide. And some conditions that increase the body's exposure to estrogen (like not having children, late menopause, obesity, etc.) have been linked to an increased risk of breast cancer.

In 2004, a small study found traces of parabens in some samples of breast cancer tumors. But there are some important points about the study findings:

• The researchers looked only for the presence of parabens in breast cancer samples. The study did not show that parabens caused or contributed to breast cancer development in these cases – it only showed that they were there. What this meant is not yet clear.
  • Although parabens have weak estrogen-like properties, the estrogens that are made in the body are hundreds to many thousands of times stronger. So, natural estrogens (or those taken as hormone replacement) are much more likely to play a role in breast cancer development.
  • Parabens are widely used as preservatives in shampoo, lotions, other cosmetics, and even foods. This study did not contain any information to help find the source of the parabens found in the breast tissue – it's not clear if they might have come from antiperspirants or from some other source.

Most people are exposed to parabens. In fact, studies have found some form of parabens in the urine in up to 99% of people in the US. But so far, studies have not shown any direct link between parabens and any health problems, including breast cancer. There are also many other compounds in the environment that mimic naturally produced estrogen.

Although at this time there are no clear health risks from parabens in food, drugs, cosmetics, and skin care products, people concerned about exposure to parabens can avoid products containing them. Consumer products containing parabens are required to list them as ingredients. Most parabens have names containing the word “paraben,” making them easy to find. According to the US Food and Drug Administration, most major brands of antiperspirants and deodorants do not currently contain parabens.

(emphasis mine)

Exactly my point, ChynnaBlue. Did you notice the phobic OP never acknowledged my question about consulting her doctor? My brother and his wife have a similar phobia about soy. He forgets that he grew up on Isomil formula in the days before enriched soy milk existed for the dairy allergic, per his pediatricians' instructions.