Contributor

TIPS users beware. Take a look at your bottle to read the ingredients. Product is FULL of parabens.

Here's the listing of ingredients:

INGREDIENTS DATA: Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Tocopherol, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Parfum & Other Ingredients.

I saw it being shown on air the other day and remembered I had some and wanted to try again. Took a look at ingredients to see this! Bottle went in the garbage. Why are parabens used to often? Can't TIPS be made without?

Valued Contributor

Re: T.I.P.S. nail conditioner

Parabens aren't evil, nor are they a universal poison. They are preservatives that inhibit the growth of microorganisms in a variety of beauty and cosmetic products. Without preservatives, the soybean and vitamin E oils in this product would turn rancid. Parabens are only a problem for those with allergies to them; these ingredients have been used for decades without issue. Many of the replacements for paraben preservatives create irritation in people without allergies and are not meant to be left on the skin. These include methylcloroisothiazolinone and methylsothiazolinone. I happen to have a severe reaction to both, and many Wen products (including leave-ins) most drugstore body washes, lotions, shampoos and conditioners, as well as sunblocks are loaded with these two ingredients which should never be left on the skin; they are known irritants when left on skin. I'll take parabens over guaranteed irritants any day.
Super Contributor

TIPS never worked for me.
Super Contributor

TIPS is a product that was very effective for me, my nails grew so long and strong that they needed to be clipped rather than filed. I too stopped using the formula due to the parabens. I know the cosmetic community has softened on the toxicity of parabens, but I would prefer not to use it.
Honored Contributor

On 1/3/2015 rac71 said: Parabens aren't evil, nor are they a universal poison. They are preservatives that inhibit the growth of microorganisms in a variety of beauty and cosmetic products. Without preservatives, the soybean and vitamin E oils in this product would turn rancid. Parabens are only a problem for those with allergies to them; these ingredients have been used for decades without issue. Many of the replacements for paraben preservatives create irritation in people without allergies and are not meant to be left on the skin. These include methylcloroisothiazolinone and methylsothiazolinone. I happen to have a severe reaction to both, and many Wen products (including leave-ins) most drugstore body washes, lotions, shampoos and conditioners, as well as sunblocks are loaded with these two ingredients which should never be left on the skin; they are known irritants when left on skin. I'll take parabens over guaranteed irritants any day.

Wow, very interesting. I use Tips and it works for me, but I'm thinking it's too expensive now.

Esteemed Contributor

Can I ask what you don't like about parabens? Rac71 was absolutely correct in what she said about parabens. There are absolutely no studies that show parabens are harmful at all.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Contributor

Imo, qualitygal, TIPS is very pricey, and the bottles are SO small.

You go ahead Rac71 and Irshgrl....and continue to use parabens all you want. But, there are those of us who are wary of it, and thus it is our prerogative to NOT unnecessarily and daily or twice daily (TIPS instructions) rub said chemicals right into our skin, blood supply!

And, I am curious why, if parabens are SO safe, that more and more beauty products and 'other' type products, are adding disclaimers on their bottles/packages-saying NO PARABENS?? Thoughts on that?

http://www.breastcancerfund.org/clear-science/radiation-chemicals-and-breast-cancer/parabens.html

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I like oils for my nails, but this product is only soybean oil, vit. E oil, 5 preservatives, and perfume. There is no way this is worth the price. I mean really, check out the price of soybean oil at the grocery store.

Honored Contributor

As d Oro said, it doesn't even work. Better to slather on a rich cream or oil before bed.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

The product worked great for me...I just find it to expensive.....parabens don't worry me.