Valued Contributor

I have just started swimming with a friend at her apartment complex pool. I don't want to wear a cap, so I'm thinking I should do something to protect it from the pool chemicals. If you swim, what kind of products do you use before and after a swim? My hair is short and not colored or processed.

Valued Contributor

Re: Swimmer's hair products?

I would seriously recommend a swim cap. It does help protect your hair. I've been swimming for years and at first didn't wear one, my hair was short too. Then one time I went to get my hair cut and my stylist made the comment that she never expected to be cutting hay. My hair was that damaged.

After swimming, rinse your hair thoroughly and then use Wen conditioner. Condition once a week with his oil. It's made a huge difference in my hair and I swim 3 days a week.

Occasional Contributor

I'm sure the nice folks on this board will have some great products to recommend, so I'm just going to throw this out because I've been swimming in chlorinated pools twice a week for almost 38 years, and this is what I've found to work perfectly: before you go into the pool, go into the shower and really soak your hair, to the point that it cannot absorb any of the chlorinated water once you get in the pool. A hairdresser told me that 30 years ago, and it's worked great for me. I never wear a cap or put anything on my hair, and it's very healthy.

And good luck with your swimming program!

Valued Contributor

On 1/14/2015 PiperCub said:

I'm sure the nice folks on this board will have some great products to recommend, so I'm just going to throw this out because I've been swimming in chlorinated pools twice a week for almost 38 years, and this is what I've found to work perfectly: before you go into the pool, go into the shower and really soak your hair, to the point that it cannot absorb any of the chlorinated water once you get in the pool. A hairdresser told me that 30 years ago, and it's worked great for me. I never wear a cap or put anything on my hair, and it's very healthy.

And good luck with your swimming program!

Thank you. I had heard this before. I will give it a try and see how it goes!

Valued Contributor

On 1/14/2015 catmama said:

I would seriously recommend a swim cap. It does help protect your hair. I've been swimming for years and at first didn't wear one, my hair was short too. Then one time I went to get my hair cut and my stylist made the comment that she never expected to be cutting hay. My hair was that damaged.

After swimming, rinse your hair thoroughly and then use Wen conditioner. Condition once a week with his oil. It's made a huge difference in my hair and I swim 3 days a week.

Thank you. I think they use a lot of chemicals as I can smell them even after a shower. I may wet my hair first and then use a cap (if that works), even tho' they are a pain.

Trusted Contributor

I swim a mile every weekday morning and have been doing it since 1980. I never wear a cap. I have short blonde hair and have highlighted it for the last five years. I just wash my hair afterward with regular Pantene shampoo and conditioner. My hairdresser thinks my hair is stiff, but I don't have any trouble with it at all. Too many women use their hair as an excuse not to swim.

I suggest that you see how your own hair reacts before you worry too much. Enjoy swimming! It is a great way to stay fit.

Valued Contributor

On 1/14/2015 sandy53 said:

I swim a mile every weekday morning and have been doing it since 1980. I never wear a cap. I have short blonde hair and have highlighted it for the last five years. I just wash my hair afterward with regular Pantene shampoo and conditioner. My hairdresser thinks my hair is stiff, but I don't have any trouble with it at all. Too many women use their hair as an excuse not to swim.

I suggest that you see how your own hair reacts before you worry too much. Enjoy swimming! It is a great way to stay fit.

Woww! Every week day for 34 years! That's great! I will be going twice a week to start. My feet have been killing me, so I had to find another exercise option. Thanks for your comments!

Trusted Contributor

Malibu shampoos and conditioners for swimming worked great for my hair!