Trusted Contributor

Surprising ingredient in Radical Skincare Enzyme Peel

The fourth ingredient listed in the Radical Skincare Express Delivery Enzyme Peel is Sodium Hydroxide. In case you are unfamiliar, the common name for this chemical is Lye. Yes the main ingredient in Drano, the stuff you have to wear rubber gloves to use because it will eat through your skin. Talk about an exfoliator!

Of course the concentration here muse be miniscule, meaning the other natural sounding ingredients are present in even smaller amounts. The description only touts the natural ingredients and does not mention that the main exfoliator is Lye. Lye is a lot cheaper too.

Honored Contributor

Re: Surprising ingredient in Radical Skincare Enzyme Peel

Not very surprising at all, this ingredient found very often in skin care.

Honored Contributor

From Beautypedia (Cosmetic Dictionary):

sodium hydroxide

Rating: Average Categories: Surfactants/Detergent Cleansing Agents , Irritants

Also known as lye, sodium hydroxide is a highly alkaline ingredient used in small amounts in cosmetics to establish and hold the pH of a product. Also used as a cleansing agent in some cleansers. In high concentrations, it’s a significant skin irritant. [1]

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

Yes this is a common ingredient in skincare but that's too high up! I'm used to seeing it much further down the list. Sounds like this product has the potential to aggravate the skin. Funny I was just looking for a gentle enzyme peel yesterday. Haven't found one yet.

Honored Contributor

Have ypu seen the Michael Todd Wild Berry Peel on Evine, no sodium hydroxide, and has great reviews too. Has fruit enzymes along with AHA and BHA.

Valued Contributor

Shelbelle This looks really good. I think I'm going to check it out. Thanks!