Honored Contributor
On 7/28/2014 Tinkrbl44 said:
On 7/28/2014 Chi-town girl said:
On 7/28/2014 SeaGal said:

That is pretty disgusting. I hope someone has loose lips and they get caught.

Yes, disgusting, but if they plan to cash in by selling the items on ebay etc, they will be caught. That is how many thieves are being identified from burglaries-trying to sell stolen goods online. You can bet someone is monitoring. Karma is a b**ch!!!

You bring up an interesting point ..... How would ebay know if the seller's merchandise is stolen? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Ebay will not necessarily know, but I do understand they are alerted by the police or those who were victimized. The way the thieves get caught is the companies or individuals that were victimized will monitor ebay and other online reselling sites to see if/when the items go up for sale. Many times police will act like buyers to lure them in.

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

Sometimes you have to wonder if there are any depths to which people will not sink.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Yes, disgusting, but if they plan to cash in by selling the items on ebay etc, they will be caught. That is how many thieves are being identified from burglaries-trying to sell stolen goods online. You can bet someone is monitoring. Karma is a b**ch!!!

You bring up an interesting point ..... How would ebay know if the seller's merchandise is stolen? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

When merchandise is stolen, especially a lot of it, the owner of stolen goods have someone cruise ebay. I don't think the company ebay would know. The victims cruise other sites as well. When they see items like their stolen items, they probably look at what else the that seller is selling and put two and two together. I don't know how they go about actually identifying the items as theirs, but they can. I have seen victims and investigators actually order an item, document it and see if it is from their lot.

Vendors are sneaky about "marking" their product. They put indelible dots, letters, special labels that only they would know on large stocks of merchandise they are reselling, donating or selling to discount retailers. Shoot some designers make different labels for every store they sell to. It is one way of identifying their product if problems arrive, it is stolen. That is why many authentic designer labels are sold on ebay with "dot" or cuts on labels. It is to prevent that item from being returned to a store as new merchandise. JMHO

Honored Contributor
On 7/28/2014 Drythe said:

Sometimes you have to wonder if there are any depths to which people will not sink. {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

This is truth, sadly.

Honored Contributor

Unfortunately, criminals (thieves) do not discriminate. How sad.

Frequent Contributor

Some people have no conscience. You know the proceeds from the sales go to charity, how could anyone steel this stuff. I guess I shouldn't be surprised but it is upsetting.

Regular Contributor

A couple years ago, my company put on a golf tournament to benefit LLS, it was in honor of my boss' late husband, and my coworker, in my department, stole from the tournament and we fired her. It no longer surprises me how low people will sink. To think she would do that to her own boss and to the charity is disgusting.

Super Contributor
On 7/30/2014 jackyl said:

A couple years ago, my company put on a golf tournament to benefit LLS, it was in honor of my boss' late husband, and my coworker, in my department, stole from the tournament and we fired her. It no longer surprises me how low people will sink. To think she would do that to her own boss and to the charity is disgusting.

That's terrible, Jack. Can't imagine how someone could do that.

Super Contributor

I heard Isaac Mizrahi mention that some of his products for Super Saturday were on the stolen truck.

Respected Contributor
On 7/28/2014 shoekitty said:

When merchandise is stolen, especially a lot of it, the owner of stolen goods have someone cruise ebay. I don't think the company ebay would know. The victims cruise other sites as well. When they see items like their stolen items, they probably look at what else the that seller is selling and put two and two together. I don't know how they go about actually identifying the items as theirs, but they can. I have seen victims and investigators actually order an item, document it and see if it is from their lot.

Vendors are sneaky about "marking" their product. They put indelible dots, letters, special labels that only they would know on large stocks of merchandise they are reselling, donating or selling to discount retailers. Shoot some designers make different labels for every store they sell to. It is one way of identifying their product if problems arrive, it is stolen. That is why many authentic designer labels are sold on ebay with "dot" or cuts on labels. It is to prevent that item from being returned to a store as new merchandise. JMHO

Many years ago my very first purchase on ebay was caught like this. I exchanged a couple emails with the seller prior to payment. Next thing I am talking to a sheriff from the East Coast. He said thank goodness I hadn't paid as this was a thief they were arresting. A couple hours went by and the seller's whole profile was gone. They probably don't catch but a faction of stolen goods, but they do at least try.
Happy WEN Girl since 1/12/2012