Respected Contributor

@wvumountiefan,  I noticed Josie's lines too. She mentioned that she just came back from Jamaica. I was surprised that she would expose her skin to such intensity in Jamaica. That's getting pretty darn close to the equator. I was there many years ago and that sun is nothing like what we experience up here.

Trusted Contributor

The super dark tans are most likely spray tans.  My next door neighbor gets them frequently.  There is another faux tanning product, St. Tropez, I don't know if it is sold n the Q or not.  My sister uses it and always has a dark tan.

There used to be a host on QVC, I think she sold mostly fashions, who always had a dark tan and she definitely  used a faux tanner.  She always had the grubbiest looking fingers and fingertips.  One thing a person needs to be quite cautious of when using a faux tanner is not to use one too frequently and to be aware of the areas where the tanner can build up, like around the nail beds.  Those areas need to be washed and lightly brush with a soft toothbrush to keep them from looking orange and dirty.

All of that said, I do not think deep, dark tans are pretty on women over 30.  IMO, they are aging and make the skin look tough.  I think a gentle golden tan is much prettier.

Someone asked about tanning beds...in a word: DON'T.

I have 2 girlfriends who have been using tanning beds for 20 years or more.  Their faces have aged tremendously.  Every fine line and wrinkle is intensified.  I noticed they have developed odd looking wrinkles or creases on their upper arms, those have  to be from the hours and hours spent in a tanning bed.  I also believe as do many doctors, that tanning beds are responsible for squamos cell skin cancer.  I've never heard of anyone who has developed melanoma from over use of a tanning bed,but why take the chance?

Honored Contributor

@Tricolor wrote:

My guess is that they are getting profesionnally spray tanned. They may use some of the tanning products that they are selling on air in between a spray tan. However, I doubt seriously that their tans are coming from a regular self tanner.Another thing take a good look at their hands. They are definitely professionally done. Lisa Robertson used to do her own because you could see the the self tanner on her knuckles and cuticles.

You can often see a mess with Amy too so I'm quite sure she uses a self-tanner applied on her own. 

Respected Contributor

Misty is on JTV now...she has faded some since Saturday....I about fell on the floor at how dark she was Saturday LOL!  I am looking at all the close ups of her hands and that just can't be faux tanner...there are NONE of the nasty things one gets from faux going on as it fades down.  She must be using a tanning bed...that's what I think most of them are doing to be honest and why I started the topic.  

And Josie on Saturday having the strap lines from tanning isn't using thaat oil tanning junk she sells!  So she was in Jamaica...she is laying the sun tanning and telling us not to but to buy her self tanning product LOL!  

Respected Contributor

Being the time of year it is, people vacationing, etc. I am sure some have inevitably gotten some color from the sun. Its probably enhanced by spray tans. So my guess is a mix of a real and fake tan. 

Honored Contributor

@tsavorite,   The only tanning products I have tried were many years ago with QT (quick tan) and I turned orange.  lol  I washed myself furiously to get that darn stuff off of me.  Not all of it came off.  I was a mess.  I have a somewhat fair complexion but mostly light.  I am not sure I would look good tan.  I always burned in my younger years and finally said, that's it, I am not sitting/laying in the sun anymore.  Before I stopped laying in the sun, I had 2nd degree burns two times and boy was it painful.  I stopped in my early/mid 20's and glad I did.  One product that tempted me was by Josie Maran and it looks like an oil and has the eye dropper.  Maybe something subtle would work for me.  HeartCat Happy

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

Don't even get me started on David Venable's skin tone. I can't hear what he's saying as I just keep looking at his faux tanned skin. I think it used to be worse, so maybe he's toned it down some, but I really wish he'd leave it alone.

Honored Contributor

I went to Tampa/St. Pete for a few days after Christmas.  I got a spray tan.  I went 2 or 3 times before I went down S.  

First of all, I did not get a deep, dark tan.

2nd of all, it stunk terribly.  I will never do it again.

I don't think my skin looks good with those faux tans.  It streaked and didn't look tan--it looked a bit orange.

I'll just be pale next time, LOL.  I hate the spray on tans, and I hated, even more, the ones they machines that spray tan people.  I have friends who go all the time, and they love it.

I felt dirty .  It was disgusting.  

I think most of the hosts get the spray tans.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

I always loved the look of a tan in my younger years. When I was really young, the tanner the better. Now when I see someone in person or on tv with a deep tan I don't like that look at all. Age bring wisdom I guess. 

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

@winamac1 wrote:

I went to Tampa/St. Pete for a few days after Christmas.  I got a spray tan.  I went 2 or 3 times before I went down S.  

First of all, I did not get a deep, dark tan.

2nd of all, it stunk terribly.  I will never do it again.

I don't think my skin looks good with those faux tans.  It streaked and didn't look tan--it looked a bit orange.

I'll just be pale next time, LOL.  I hate the spray on tans, and I hated, even more, the ones they machines that spray tan people.  I have friends who go all the time, and they love it.

I felt dirty .  It was disgusting.  

I think most of the hosts get the spray tans.

That's what I thought....I have never done a salon spray on tan like you did BUT I figured it's still the same product that is developing on the skin whether it's me in the bathroom or them at the tan spray place and on me that stuff stinks so bad!!  OMGoodness not only when you are developing but even after showering...that awful stinky smell lingers it's so bad I just can't believe these people who look so dark are using this.  I think to sell product they tell you that but I have heard Jill on air say she lays out in sun getting tan and she sure gets dark on her beach home vacations.  Same with Antonella....she is honest enough to admit it.  And yes I know ones heritige/genetics plays a role on peoples ability to get that super dark tan.  

I suspect these hosts are tanning on vacation and tanning the rest of summer in tanning beds to maintain it....they come on air and tell you to buy this stinky chemical product and that you will look like them.  The swear up and down "you won't stink" but we all know it's a great big lie.  

Yesterday the candle guy Harry S (thinnk his name is this lol) was also super dark and he has got some hairy hands...no way was that spray tan thur that thick hair!  He also looks like he's got skin like the guy who sells on Evine/Skinn....work done...botox...facelift...pulled back for a guy his age.