Respected Contributor

Re: Sunscreens are dangerous?

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Yes, I read an article in the Los Angeles Times about this environmental issue a few days ago. It is not fear-mongering; the data is sound. Coral reefs are very important in our ecosystem.

The title of this thread is slightly misleading, though. The danger discussed is not to our skin.

Much more eco-friendly to use non-chemical sunscreen or at least one without out the chemicals that were mentioned.

It was not my intent to mislead. 

I guess it was sort of the irony of how something we are told daily to use is bad for something.  I grew up in the era of put baby oil on and lay in the sun.  Not that I did it - my skin would never tolerate it.  Nor did I enjoy the baked salmon feeling.

Most beauty experts will tell you to wear sunscreen as their first beauty tip.  So when I heard this on the radio I was really surprised.  That there was an actual harmful side to some sunscreens.  I avoid the sun due to my very fair skin, so have not researched it much.

Not only are coral reefs beautiful, but I have come to understand their importance.  My scientific minded daughter has told me all about it.  I am very respectful of the importance of environment.  I have been learning that we must not panic at a particular bit of information.  It has to stand the test of time in some cases.  However, those near coral reefs should probably use the other kind.  Seems as if nothing is all good or all bad.

Hyacinth

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I really dislike the feel of sunscreen on my skin, but especially the face.  The only time I will wear sunscreen on my face is if I know I will be out in the sun and not wearing foundation.  If I'm wearing a foundation, no sunscreen because it just feels gross.  I generally only wear foundation about once a week and I'm inside most of that time anyways.  I work out in the yard a lot, so go through a good bit of sunscreen, but I also don't live anywhere near the coral reefs, so it's Neutrogena for me.  There was a nice tinted physical sunscreen I liked for the face (Elta MD), but they changed their formulation and it's now kinda gross too both in feel and color.  I use it for skiing, but that's about it for the physical stuff.

Respected Contributor

Octinoxate is a chemical which becomes absorbed into the blood stream. If that is a concern for you, opt for a physical sunscreen. You still need sun protection of some type.

Honored Contributor

@Deanie wrote:

@suzyQ3  If I may conjecture...I believe the intent of the posters is that they (the all knowing all seeing gurus) have us jumping from one foot to another. "This you must do for your health"...or, my favorite," it is for the children"...be that as it may, there are sunscreens on the organic websites that may fit the criteria. Or may not. No one is arguing the point of the ecosystem, only, the irony that one's avoidance from harmful rays is now taking second fiddle to it.

I stopped using sunscreens years ago after reading articles in the Lancet, whereby, the researchers were exploring a possible link between them and pancreatic CA.

@Deanie  Cases of skin cancer far outweigh pancreatic cancer. Choice is yours.

Honored Contributor

@hsawaknow wrote:

Even with sunscreen I still got skin cancer on my nose. I didn't even know I had it and went 9 years before i had it checked out. I ended up having painful surgery and months of healing. 2 years later parts of my nose are still numb!

@hsawaknow  So sorry you went through that. You and myself included, are experiencing the effects of the sun before spf. These cancers can lay dormant under the skin. I had many severe sunburns until my late 20’s when people knew better and spfs were available.

Honored Contributor

Not using a sunscreen is more dangerous.

Contributor

It's indeed true, but you can help the environment and yourself by using sunscreens that use non-nano zinc oxide or titanium dioxide, which are safe for the environment and don't go in your bloodstream. There are some good formulations out there that don't leave a white cast. I like Suntegrity and Farmacy Green Screen. HTH.

Honored Contributor

I would never not use sunscreen!  I use Elta MD or PTR usually. 

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Respected Contributor

I tried PTR years ago and Elta MD 50, it has those Octi ingredients and I break out from it.     All sunscreens I have used sting my eyes and cause breakouts - even the baby suncreens.     I make sure to avoid the eye area and somehow it liquifies and seeps into my eyes and burns.   I don't go out in the sun for more than a few minutes and rarely the beach. for beach I use plain thick zinc oxide on face and all over and wear a huge opaque hat at the beach and go after 3pm.  have always covered up my neck and decollete with a towel or t shirt.

My derm says my skin is healthy, no AKs and no sun damage.

Honored Contributor

@hyacinth003 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Yes, I read an article in the Los Angeles Times about this environmental issue a few days ago. It is not fear-mongering; the data is sound. Coral reefs are very important in our ecosystem.

The title of this thread is slightly misleading, though. The danger discussed is not to our skin.

Much more eco-friendly to use non-chemical sunscreen or at least one without out the chemicals that were mentioned.

It was not my intent to mislead. 

I guess it was sort of the irony of how something we are told daily to use is bad for something.  I grew up in the era of put baby oil on and lay in the sun.  Not that I did it - my skin would never tolerate it.  Nor did I enjoy the baked salmon feeling.

Most beauty experts will tell you to wear sunscreen as their first beauty tip.  So when I heard this on the radio I was really surprised.  That there was an actual harmful side to some sunscreens.  I avoid the sun due to my very fair skin, so have not researched it much.

Not only are coral reefs beautiful, but I have come to understand their importance.  My scientific minded daughter has told me all about it.  I am very respectful of the importance of environment.  I have been learning that we must not panic at a particular bit of information.  It has to stand the test of time in some cases.  However, those near coral reefs should probably use the other kind.  Seems as if nothing is all good or all bad.

Hyacinth

@hyacinth003, I didn't think that you intentionally mislead with thread title; it's just that when people see "suncreen" and "dangerous" in the same line, their first thought would not be danger to coral reefs but to themselves. And as you said, sunscreen is considered a must by derms, so I think we should be as clear as possible that sunscreens are safe and effective.

FYI for everyone: Coral reefs are found in 100 countries around the world, even in the U.S (Florida), according to the Coral Reef Alliance.

And here is the research on the danger of those two chemicals to coral reefs:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2291018/

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland