Respected Contributor

Re: Sunscreen Recommendations Please

@Summer Shine

I also prefer mineral to chemical and have been using the Elta MD tinted physical sunscreen SPF 41.  However, I had the same concern as you do about using it on my neck and I found the non-tinted physical sunscreens left a white cast, so I tried some Asian chemical sunscreens and although they're chemical, they're head and shoulders above the ones available in the U.S. in terms of feel and wearability and they're non-irritating, even around the eyes (at least to me). They contain UVA filters that are supposedly superior to the ones used here and are undetectable on the skin.  I now use this sunscreen as my first layer of defense under my Elta MD on my face and alone on my neck.  The one I'm currently using and loving is Biore UV Aqua Rich Watery Essence SPF 50 + PA ++++.

Honored Contributor

Powder sunscreen has a lot of strengths. You put it on after your skincare and can even wear it over foundation and/or primer. It doesn't sink into your skin. It's full spectrum physical, not chemical, coverage. It's also really easy to reapply during the day.

When I've used lotion sunscreen, reapplying it meant reapplying concealer and blush etc. So I was less inclined to do it, making the sunscreen less effective. There's a good reason they tell you to reapply throughout the day!

With powder, you just dust on a little more when you think of it. It's no big deal and you can keep your powder/brush applicator in your purse or pocket without worrying about it melting or degrading or leaking. Also, using the translucent powder format for sunscreen instead of a foundation means you aren't at risk of having caked on too much by the end of the day.

(It has to have a slight tint or else the titanium dioxide would look bright white on everyone. Very sheer and slight--I haven't seen any color transfer on white shirts when I wear it on my neck and arms.)

I use Mineral Fusion (just talked about this on here yesterday) Mineral SPF 30 Brush On Sun Defense. But that's just because I saw it at Sprouts when shopping and picked it up to try it. Glad I did.

Other powder physical sunscreens that look good are:

• Brush On Block Broad Spectrum SPF 30 Mineral Powder Sunscreen - Water resistant and it has a less expensive refill.
  • Colorescience Sunforgettable Mineral SPF 50 (or 30) Sunscreen Brush - Nicer looking brush and the best reviews.

Colorescience Sunforgettable Mineral SPF 50 Sunscreen Brush Medium

The downside to using this type of sunscreen is that it can be difficult to know how much powder is in the brush, since it is "translucent" by design. Sometimes you have to really whack the butt end of the brush against a counter to feel comfortable it actually dispensed. It's not that hard to overcome this issue compared to all the benefits.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

I hate sunscreen on my face but know I need it.  I guess I hate a bunch of layering.  So far the only sunscreen I have found it Bare minerals prep and prime spf 50.    When it first goes on it feels greasy but that goes away.  

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for all the replies! I have tried the BM sunscreen mentioned above and liked it a lot at first but then started noticing it was causing my face to become dry and peely. I noticed a lot of positive feedback on Ella  sunscreen, will check into that next. Again, thanks so much for the help.