Honored Contributor

Re: Sunscreen Myth: more bad news about sunscreens

On 7/11/2014 HonnyBrown said:
On 7/11/2014 guatmum said:

No, it came from a doctor and a nutritional scientist. Really . . . EVERYTHING is not a conspiracy. I'm glad you have good Vit D levels . . . for part of the year anyway.

ETA: Vit D is not present in high levels if at all in fresh produce. Most food has to be fortified with it. Otherwise, the foods that give us Vit D are animal sources and many of those don't give us much.

Did the doctor sell supplements? Some do, you know.

I don't think Vitamin D is in any produce. Our bodies make it, but need sunlight for the process. That's what makes me think that doctor of yours sells supplements.

If I remember correctly, Vitamin D supplements need calcium to be absorbed into our bodies. Canned fish (yuk) is a source of Vitamin D.

You got it backwards - we need vit D to absorb calcium - a nutrient that is VITAL to our health.

Honored Contributor

On 7/11/2014 Angel Cake said:

I don't wear sunscreen for health reasons, I wear it so I won't wrinkle or age my skin. I don't care if I die early for it, at least I'll look good.

Have you ever thought of not putting sunscreen on arms and legs and any other exposed parts if you are not going to have extended exposure to the sun ? Just wear it on your face.

Honored Contributor

On 7/11/2014 happy housewife said:

OP - you will never convince the people here who are radical in their obsession against any - even for a moment - exposure to the sun. Very few of the posters on this BB and esp. on this beauty section understand that moderate use of or exposure to anything is the best policy. I once wrote that there is no reason to use sunscreen to walk to the mailbox or from your car into a store and they jumped all over me just for that. There are some very radical posters here.

And again, the OP sets up a strawman argument, scolding those who she claims are radical in their avoidance of the sun. I have met very few people in my long life who are that radical in avoidance of the sun (unless they have good reason).

Most of really don't have a problem walking to our mailbox or chatting with someone for a few minutes. But that should NOT result in a tan.

If you're getting a tan, you are damaging your skin. Period. You risk premature aging (wrinkles, rough texture -- picture older folks in beach communities who spent all their time outside unprotected). And you risk various types of skin cancer that range from mild (although potentially very disfiguring) to very deadly.

So stop with the ridiculous jabs at all of us. The only radical comments I see here are from those who choose to believe some fringe stuff instead of proven science, those who choose to eschew sunscreen out of some unsubstantiated fear of "chemicals" and ignore the very real and increasing risks of skin cancer and premature aging, and those who trot out Vitamin D as a reason to risk said serious conditions.

BTW, it takes a few minutes for sunscreen to become effective. If you put it on and then start your walk or go outside or something, you will be getting some Vit D. And there are other sources. The Vitamin D issue should NEVER be used to promote a casual attitude toward ultraviolet rays.

Of course, since you were a nurse, you know all this.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Moderation in everything - even chemicals that purport to do good things! There's no moderation involved in slathering on sunscreen and then staying indoors away from the windows. That's as ridiculous as those long hours my generation used to spend in the bright sun oiled by baby oil and holding a reflector screen to catch more and more intense rays.

BTW- before there were so many chemicals all around us, something else was killing us off! Just take a look at the ever-increasing age span in this current world.

Honored Contributor

On 7/10/2014 KittyLouWhoToo said:

I have read that you should get 15-20 minutes of sun exposure daily (without sunscreen) and that's sun exposure to AS MUCH SKIN AS POSSIBLE (naked being best!).

But who does that?

I get some sun without sunscreen but I can't recall the last time I was naked doing it.

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Oh, Kitty! I, too, wish I could tan my 'pink bits' (!), but the management @ my fitness club would frown upon that!! HA Smiley Very Happy. I have a "15 min front, 15 min back" natural sunbathing formula I use during the summer months...and I've never burned once. After sunbathing, I don't shower for an hour/so to allow the vitamin D to absorb fully. Other than that, I'm not an outside person.

Esteemed Contributor

On 7/11/2014 happy housewife said:

You got it backwards - we need vit D to absorb calcium - a nutrient that is VITAL to our health.

That's it, happy, thank you! I knew there was some correlation.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Esteemed Contributor

On 7/11/2014 sidsmom said:

Oh, Kitty! I, too, wish I could tan my 'pink bits' (!), but the management @ my fitness club would frown upon that!! HA Smiley Very Happy. I have a "15 min front, 15 min back" natural sunbathing formula I use during the summer months...and I've never burned once. After sunbathing, I don't shower for an hour/so to allow the vitamin D to absorb fully. Other than that, I'm not an outside person.

Sids, the sun activates Vitamin D production in the skin. You can't wash it away.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Respected Contributor

It seems things are getting a little heated in this thread. Maybe it might be best if people let others live how they wish. I doubt the OP was trying browbeat people into submission when she posted the article. It was just an article that was posted. And I doubt people who do use sunscreen are just careless and thoughtless about life.

I really do think that sometimes, people take these posts and threads too seriously. Live and let live.

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Honored Contributor

IMO it is irresponsible to post threads like this that contain obviously flawed information. Too many people believe what they read on the Internet without researching the topic more thoroughly.

Respected Contributor

On 7/11/2014 wilma said:

IMO it is irresponsible to post threads like this that contain obviously flawed information. Too many people believe what they read on the Internet without researching the topic more thoroughly.

If that's the case, then people will have to try and do more looking at info that they're interested in. It's not really fair to punish someone for posting a thread, even if it has info that's not accurate. People laughed at the man who invented penicillin.

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder