Super Contributor

Re: Sunscreen Myth: more bad news about sunscreens

On 7/10/2014 gazelle77 said:
On 7/9/2014 Irishrose136 said:
On 7/9/2014 gazelle77 said: So, supplement with D-3.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} Thanks, gazelle! My post was going to be..........Duh!

With my Irish ancestry I'm a good candidate for getting skin cancer. My father had it twice. My doctor prescribes a Vit D and monitors my blood level. Much safer. As little as an hour in the sun would fry me. I NEVER tan. I start out bright pink and move into lobster red, then I peel. Nothing about that is healthy.

I am like you. I not only wear sunscreen outside, but protective head gear and arm and hand coverage that are solar protective. I am only in the sun if I go for a walk... I do not go out into the sun unless I have too. I take at least 7000 IU of D-3 each day. When I have my levels checked each year they are right up there at the perfect level.

I admit I'm kind of over the top about this, but I even wear sunscreen inside -- UVA's penetrate glass. That's where the light comes from.

And I'm becoming more aware that the MOST important thing is to wear hats and other protective clothing when outdoors. I'm on a search for sun hats (I already always wear long sleeves).

Valued Contributor

On 7/10/2014 MarenSeattle said:
On 7/10/2014 gazelle77 said:
On 7/9/2014 Irishrose136 said:
On 7/9/2014 gazelle77 said: So, supplement with D-3.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} Thanks, gazelle! My post was going to be..........Duh!

With my Irish ancestry I'm a good candidate for getting skin cancer. My father had it twice. My doctor prescribes a Vit D and monitors my blood level. Much safer. As little as an hour in the sun would fry me. I NEVER tan. I start out bright pink and move into lobster red, then I peel. Nothing about that is healthy.

I am like you. I not only wear sunscreen outside, but protective head gear and arm and hand coverage that are solar protective. I am only in the sun if I go for a walk... I do not go out into the sun unless I have too. I take at least 7000 IU of D-3 each day. When I have my levels checked each year they are right up there at the perfect level.

I admit I'm kind of over the top about this, but I even wear sunscreen inside -- UVA's penetrate glass. That's where the light comes from.

And I'm becoming more aware that the MOST important thing is to wear hats and other protective clothing when outdoors. I'm on a search for sun hats (I already always wear long sleeves).

Maren, I get all of my sunscreen clothing, including sun hats for my daughter and me, from either Coolibar or Duluth Trading. You can find them both online. They sell clothing and hats with spf 35-50+.

I also wear sunscreen as a moisturizer on recommendation of my derm everyday whether I plan to be outside a lot or not. One scare is all it took for me! Melanoma can mean death within months. I'm not willing to take that risk.

Respected Contributor

I don't recall seeing reports telling us to avoid the sun at all costs. Using suncreens yes, but not totally avoiding the sun. That would be rather silly. And it's also recommended that you have 15-20 minutes of sun exposure a day - and without sunscreen. I'm fine with that, and I doubt I even get it. But I'm going to use sunscreen when I play to be outside a long time because I don't enjoying being burned to a crisp. It's not a pretty look, it's painful and it's dangerous.

Honored Contributor

I have read that you should get 15-20 minutes of sun exposure daily (without sunscreen) and that's sun exposure to AS MUCH SKIN AS POSSIBLE (naked being best!).

But who does that?

I get some sun without sunscreen but I can't recall the last time I was naked doing it.

Super Contributor

On 7/10/2014 ennui1 said:
On 7/9/2014 sidsmom said:

Scientists Blow The Lid on Cancer & Sunscreen Myth

by PAUL FASSA

According to a June 2014 article featured in <em>The Independent (UK)</em>, a major study conducted by researchers at the Karolinska Institute in Sweden found that women who avoid sunbathing during the summer are twice as likely to die as those who sunbathe every day.

Um, I think everyone is likely to die, no matter what they do. Did that change, and immortality is now an option?

So okay, Ennui. I had to laugh at that one. You're absolutely right. Everyone is going to die. Absolutely everyone! That is true so true.

Honored Contributor

On 7/10/2014 RedConvertibleGirl said:

I don't recall seeing reports telling us to avoid the sun at all costs. Using suncreens yes, but not totally avoiding the sun. That would be rather silly. And it's also recommended that you have 15-20 minutes of sun exposure a day - and without sunscreen. I'm fine with that, and I doubt I even get it. But I'm going to use sunscreen when I play to be outside a long time because I don't enjoying being burned to a crisp. It's not a pretty look, it's painful and it's dangerous.

Most sunscreens state that you should apply 15 to 20 minutes before exposure. So if apply and then immediately go out in the sun, you will get that recommended exposure.

For the vast majority of us, though, the problem is not too little but too much exposure.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

Studies suggested that those with chronic low levels of Vitamin D who are diagnosed with a disease will have a poor prognosis as opposed to those with normal levels of Vitamin D.

There are many reasons other than not getting sun that would cause chronic levels of Vitamin D.

Yes, deaths from skin cancers have increased, yet the amount of people using sunscreens have increased and that's something to think about. So perhaps, those who are diligently using sunscreen now due to all the awareness of sun hazards did not use sunscreens at an early age. I'm not totally sure, but were sunscreens even available before the 1960's?

This article states that those who have had 5 bad sun burns in their teens, have an increased risk of 80% chance of getting a deadly skin cancer:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2646101/Women-badly-sunburned-just-FIVE-times-teenagers-80...

Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

On 7/9/2014 HappyDaze said:

you choose your battles. I choose sunscreen because you are more at risk to die from skin cancer, especially being as fair as I am, than vitamin D deficiency.

Ditto!!!
Respected Contributor

SilentDance, I agree with your post. I did some tanning and got some BAD sunburns as a child, so I'm always very diligent to use SPF and do skin checks and see the derm frequently. Skin cancer can be VERY aggressive, and even if you haven't "tanned" or "burned" in the past several years, you must stay on top of things when it comes to your skin, especially if you have a history of bad burns, even as a child.
Respected Contributor

The only medical FACT that I believe unequivocally is that 100% of living creatures will die.