Super Contributor

Re: Sunscreen Myth: more bad news about sunscreens

If you do a little more research, you'll find that there are already articles out showing some major flaws in this study.

Super Contributor

On 7/9/2014 sidsmom said:

"When consumed as isolated concentrated nutrients wrapped in a pill-casing, vitamin D supplements cause nutritional imbalances, which leads to metabolic sicknesses. At dosages considered safe, an increase in "bad" LDL-cholesterol, prostate cancer, immune system suppression, autoimmune diseases, gastrointestinal symptoms, kidney disease, and calcium stones has been observed. The adverse effects of vitamin D therapy are understudied, underestimated, and underreported."

"The benefits from taking pills are very limited and there are adverse side effects. The lesson is: Natural is best when it comes to food and sunshine. "

I highly doubt that any dermatologist would agree with this statement.........not if they graduated from a real medical school.

Super Contributor

On 7/9/2014 ROMARY said:

We are taking in tons of chemicals through our skin. All kinds of lotions, creams, body washes, fabrics, etc., etc. Just about everything we touch, too. Almost everything is made from chemicals/plastics of some sort. It's really a losing battle, keeping away from chemicals. Seems to me, anyway. I doubt if there is anything we can do about it in this era in time.

You are absolutely right that it's impossible to avoid chemicals, especially since our own bodies (and all matter - liquids, solids, and gases) are made of chemicals. Water is a chemical (H2O). Not all chemicals are bad, not all "natural" ingredients are good. And it's not true our skin absorbs everything, if it were true your body would fill up with water every time you took a shower or went swimming.

Valued Contributor

As noted by another poster, this article, published in the UK and by other supposedly reputable media has been debunked by experts to be the myth that it is. You can read about it all by googling. And, Snopes has the summary of the false claims here.

Regular Contributor

I agree with HappyDaze. We do choose our battles, and my battle is not to be Diagnosed with Melanoma again. I am a survivor from 2 years ago, which was a close call for me. So, I will continue to use my high SPF Physical sunscreen and take my extra Vitamin D3. I believe in my heart that we are not leaving this earth until GOD is finished with us. And I am SO Thankful to HIM that HE has more for me to do. My Derm told me that in the past few years they are seeing more and more individuals in their 20's with Melanoma then ever, mostly young ladies. They attribute this to the Tanning beds and the Sun mostly. They said to them, Pale skin is beautiful. And believe me, I could almost be Casper the Ghost's sister!! LOL! So, for me, I will take the advice of my Dr. and take it one day at a time.

Regular Contributor

My first thought after reading the first paragraph of the article was that women with more medical problems probably sunbathe less than healthy women, and maybe it's their medical problems that lead to their deaths - - - not the avoidance of the sun.

Super Contributor

On 7/10/2014 Peetie57 said:

I agree with HappyDaze. We do choose our battles, and my battle is not to be Diagnosed with Melanoma again. I am a survivor from 2 years ago, which was a close call for me. So, I will continue to use my high SPF Physical sunscreen and take my extra Vitamin D3. I believe in my heart that we are not leaving this earth until GOD is finished with us. And I am SO Thankful to HIM that HE has more for me to do. My Derm told me that in the past few years they are seeing more and more individuals in their 20's with Melanoma then ever, mostly young ladies. They attribute this to the Tanning beds and the Sun mostly. They said to them, Pale skin is beautiful. And believe me, I could almost be Casper the Ghost's sister!! LOL! So, for me, I will take the advice of my Dr. and take it one day at a time.

Yes -- when I had melanoma (late 80's) it was thought that UVA wasn't really the culprit -- the focus was on UVB. Now they're understanding that UVA is more dangerous than originally thought. (It makes sense -- the rays are MUCH longer). But they both do damage.

We really need to get over the mind-set belief of a "healthy tan" (oxymoron). We've come a long way in realizing the dangers and taking precautions, but faux tanning is HUGE. We're still equating tanned skin as portraying youth and health. We're heading in the right direction, though... :-)

Super Contributor

On 7/9/2014 Irishrose136 said:
On 7/9/2014 gazelle77 said: So, supplement with D-3.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} Thanks, gazelle! My post was going to be..........Duh!

With my Irish ancestry I'm a good candidate for getting skin cancer. My father had it twice. My doctor prescribes a Vit D and monitors my blood level. Much safer. As little as an hour in the sun would fry me. I NEVER tan. I start out bright pink and move into lobster red, then I peel. Nothing about that is healthy.

I am like you. I not only wear sunscreen outside, but protective head gear and arm and hand coverage that are solar protective. I am only in the sun if I go for a walk... I do not go out into the sun unless I have too. I take at least 7000 IU of D-3 each day. When I have my levels checked each year they are right up there at the perfect level.

Super Contributor

On 7/9/2014 sidsmom said:

Scientists Blow The Lid on Cancer & Sunscreen Myth

by PAUL FASSA

According to a June 2014 article featured in The Independent (UK), a major study conducted by researchers at the Karolinska Institute in Sweden found that women who avoid sunbathing during the summer are twice as likely to die as those who sunbathe every day.

Um, I think everyone is likely to die, no matter what they do. Did that change, and immortality is now an option?

Honored Contributor

I got a chuckle out of the site to which the OP linked in her opening post. Just love that screaming tabloid header.

And thanks to those who debunked this latest attempt to scare us away from the need to protect ourselves from UV rays.

What is it with some of the weird health bandwagons that people get on that can be so detrimental to us? Personally, I think it's a growing bias and paranoia coupled with an increasing unfamiliarity with science in general -- a very dangerous coupling.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland