Super Contributor

Re: Sunscreen Myth: more bad news about sunscreens

This is true, the Vit D deficiency is major now in the population, they never know what they are talking about, or they want to make money it seems.

Super Contributor

Haven't read all the posts in this thread but did anyone mention that this "news" was debunked on snopes.com?

As for vitamin D, no one actually knows how much we need except that we do need some to stave off rickets. Otherwise -at least one major study has contradicted the overheated claims of vitamin D advocates. In 2006, new results from the Women's Health Initiative, a huge federal study launched in the 1990s that focused on the benefits and risks of hormones for postmenopausal women, showed little benefit in participants who were given extra calcium and vitamin D. The supplements had no effect on colon cancer rates, cardiovascular disease, invasive breast cancer, and, most surprisingly, no effect on overall bone fractures (though it did strengthen hip bones), researchers found. “We didn’t even show a blip,” said Jean Wactawski-Wende, Ph.D., associate chair of the department of social and preventive medicine at the State University of New York at Buffalo and lead author of the study that looked at colorectal cancer rates in the Women’s Health Initiative participants.

Food for thought.

Valued Contributor

On 7/11/2014 happy housewife said:

Not to even mention that sunscreens themselves have been shown to be absorbed through the skin and are carcinogenic. Damned if you do , damned if you don't.

I swim almost every day and always wear sunscreen when i do - but I get out of the pool and into the shower immediately to get that krap off of me. EEEWWW. Otherwise just for trips to the store or walk to the mailbox it seems pretty ridiculous. And most medical literature now a days is saying the old advice to get out of the shower in the morning and apply sunscreen everywhere before you get dressed and wear it all day is no longer advised, because the sunscreen chemicals are carcinogens, and the lack of vit D is epidemic in this country and the vit d you get from supplements is not the same quality as what you get from the sun. And vit d is a VITAL nutrient.

However, if you prefer to sit in the house shrouded in darkness and slathered in sunscreen - that is your business - go ahead. After all - some people in this country are making a living making that sunscreen. You have as much right to do that as I do to be active and outdoors as much as I can be.

Please cite this "medical literature" including dermatological journals. I would like to read the studies/articles you've read to come to this conclusion.

Trusted Contributor

My Dermatologist (who is one of the top Derms in the country) told me all I need is 1/2 hour out in the sun a day (without sunscreen as sunscreen blocks the UVB rays which are needed to increase Vitamin D levels). It can't just be your face out in the sun you need to have your larger body parts such as legs,arms, chest and back. I began following his instructions this summer and feel 100% better plus my Vitamin D levels are normal now. Low levels are Vitamin D are very serious and are linked to: Diabetes, obesity, losing your hair & breast cancer. Being in the sun 1/2 hour a day is not dangerous.

Esteemed Contributor

All we need is 20 minutes of the sun. And I do take VD supplements. That told to me by my doctor.

Honored Contributor

On 7/12/2014 guatmum said:
On 7/11/2014 happy housewife said:

Not to even mention that sunscreens themselves have been shown to be absorbed through the skin and are carcinogenic. Damned if you do , damned if you don't.

I swim almost every day and always wear sunscreen when i do - but I get out of the pool and into the shower immediately to get that krap off of me. EEEWWW. Otherwise just for trips to the store or walk to the mailbox it seems pretty ridiculous. And most medical literature now a days is saying the old advice to get out of the shower in the morning and apply sunscreen everywhere before you get dressed and wear it all day is no longer advised, because the sunscreen chemicals are carcinogens, and the lack of vit D is epidemic in this country and the vit d you get from supplements is not the same quality as what you get from the sun. And vit d is a VITAL nutrient.

However, if you prefer to sit in the house shrouded in darkness and slathered in sunscreen - that is your business - go ahead. After all - some people in this country are making a living making that sunscreen. You have as much right to do that as I do to be active and outdoors as much as I can be.

Please cite this "medical literature" including dermatological journals. I would like to read the studies/articles you've read to come to this conclusion.

And while she's at it, I'd love to hear the credible scientific studies that show that sunscreens will cause cancer.

Reading "happy" housewife's last paragraph here makes me wonder yet again what motivates her regarding this topic:

No one, not one single person, has indicated that they choose to live shrouded in darkness. And yes, people are making money selling sunscreen. Alert the media. Last time I looked, people are making money selling food, too. And yes, we all have the right to be outdoors and active. What does that have to do with the price of tea in China, I wonder?

For the record, I walk three miles a day in the SoCal sun and enjoy every minute of it -- protected with sunscreen. And for the umpteenth time, in the 15 to 20 minutes that my sunscreen needs to become effective, I'm getting a little Vit D, along with supplements and in food.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Contributor

Sun exposure IS cumulative...15 minutes a day, every day, after a week is like being out for 1-3/4 hours without sun protection. And to this date, sun damage cannot be repaired.

I am glad to see Hollywood finally getting on the pale is beautiful bandwagon.

Super Contributor

William McElligotthttp://www.theguardian.com/society/shortcuts/2012/jun/05/face-shows-damage-from-sun

"At first, it looks like human artifice – a Photoshopped demonstration of ageing in action. But the image of truck driver William McElligott is actually a stark reminder of the destructive power of the sun. The left-hand side of the 66-year-old's face is deeply lined, pitted and sagging after 28 years of sun exposure through the side window of his lorry. The right-hand side, shaded by the cab as McElligott delivered milk around Chicago, is the taut, unblemished face of an apparently much younger man.

McElligott didn't notice the developing asymmetry for 15 years and only sought treatment when his grandchildren asked him about the "bumps" on his face. Doctors were shocked, and his image was published in the New England Journal of Medicine as a striking example of unilateral dermatoheliosis, or photoageing, caused by prolonged exposure to UV rays. The image demonstrates the danger to workers who might not regard themselves as at risk from the sun, according to Gill Nuttall, chief executive of Factor 50, a support group for people with skin cancer. Nuttall has written to Brendan Barber, general secretary of the TUC, urging unions to help raise awareness of the risks for workers, including those such as meter readers, taxi drivers and even sales reps who don't regard their job as being outdoors."

It is pretty simple - you can protect your skin from the sun to prevent damage to your skin and cells including cancers. Or you can decide not to do it. This isn't about a belief system. This is fact.

Contributor

On 7/13/2014 sun8shine said:

William McElligotthttp://www.theguardian.com/society/shortcuts/2012/jun/05/face-shows-damage-from-sun

"At first, it looks like human artifice – a Photoshopped demonstration of ageing in action. But the image of truck driver William McElligott is actually a stark reminder of the destructive power of the sun. The left-hand side of the 66-year-old's face is deeply lined, pitted and sagging after 28 years of sun exposure through the side window of his lorry. The right-hand side, shaded by the cab as McElligott delivered milk around Chicago, is the taut, unblemished face of an apparently much younger man.

McElligott didn't notice the developing asymmetry for 15 years and only sought treatment when his grandchildren asked him about the "bumps" on his face. Doctors were shocked, and his image was published in the New England Journal of Medicine as a striking example of unilateral dermatoheliosis, or photoageing, caused by prolonged exposure to UV rays. The image demonstrates the danger to workers who might not regard themselves as at risk from the sun, according to Gill Nuttall, chief executive of Factor 50, a support group for people with skin cancer. Nuttall has written to Brendan Barber, general secretary of the TUC, urging unions to help raise awareness of the risks for workers, including those such as meter readers, taxi drivers and even sales reps who don't regard their job as being outdoors."

It is pretty simple - you can protect your skin from the sun to prevent damage to your skin and cells including cancers. Or you can decide not to do it. This isn't about a belief system. This is fact.

Seeing is believing...but many here still will insist they don't need sunblock.