Super Contributor

Re: Sunscreen Myth: more bad news about sunscreens

On 7/10/2014 RedConvertibleGirl said:

I don't recall seeing reports telling us to avoid the sun at all costs. Using suncreens yes, but not totally avoiding the sun. That would be rather silly. And it's also recommended that you have 15-20 minutes of sun exposure a day - and without sunscreen. I'm fine with that, and I doubt I even get it. But I'm going to use sunscreen when I play to be outside a long time because I don't enjoying being burned to a crisp. It's not a pretty look, it's painful and it's dangerous.

Can you please point me to a recommendation "that you have 15-20 minutes of Sun exposure a day - and without sunscreen..."?

Respected Contributor

On 7/11/2014 happy housewife said:

OP - you will never convince the people here who are radical in their obsession against any - even for a moment - exposure to the sun. Very few of the posters on this BB and esp. on this beauty section understand that moderate use of or exposure to anything is the best policy. I once wrote that there is no reason to use sunscreen to walk to the mailbox or from your car into a store and they jumped all over me just for that. There are some very radical posters here.

And some very intolerant ones, and ones who remember their posts differently than they actually were.

I don't suppose you see yourself in this eh?

Super Contributor

On 7/11/2014 HonnyBrown said:

Thanks Colonel. I see the exact opposite. It seems like the bullies and trolls go out of their way to show that's not them.

I'd like to see what direction this thread will go now.

Honny, I'm late to this thread - just read it within the last hour. Have there been those kinds of posts that were deleted here?

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for posting this information. I have also read that daily moderate exposure to the sun is good not only for Vit D, but SAD, seasonal affective disorder. If I know I'm going to have a beach vacation, I tan a few weeks before I go to ensure I don't get burned. My doc said as long as I do so once a year and moderately - I can avoid that awful burn that we want to avoid.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

I haven't seen any posts that have been deleted. I guess the thread will get back on topic soon.

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Super Contributor

On 7/11/2014 NC Bandwagon said:

I haven't seen any posts that have been deleted. I guess the thread will get back on topic soon.

I see your point, NC, lol! Yes, let's get back to where this all started!

Honored Contributor

On 7/11/2014 dooBdoo said:

I do agree that it's not good to post misinformation about things.

I think what I was trying to say was that maybe it would be best for people to not get too riled. I saw some earlier posts in this thread and it looked like thread was about to get a little...heated, to say the least.

Hi, NC Bandwagon! You've only been posting here a short while, so I think I can understand your being puzzled. Some topics have been re-hashed countless times, some quoted websites are bound to get a reaction (both positive and negative), and the posters who've seen them tend to remember the past threads. Not that I condone it, but I think it often accounts for a bit of a bristly attitude from some. Even though we do see helpful info posted at times, in general I wish QVC wouldn't allow any medical or pharmaceutical advice posted here. I think it's irresponsible and sometimes quite dangerous, but the Q continues to allow it so we have to try and make the best of it.

Hello. Smile

When you put it that way, perhaps you're right about the not posting medical or pharmaceutical advice. I could see how that might cause problems. No offense to you, sidsmom. I get the feeling that you weren't trying to stir up anything.

Hey, NC Bandwagon! You're right, it wasn't my intent to start a thread to get posters riled up. The list of topics is slowly becoming very limited...the conceptual, creative posters of years ago are long gone. I could easily start 10-15 posts everyday...just from the stuff that I observe or flies through my head, but I know better. =Smiley Very Happy. Have a good evening!

Honored Contributor

On 7/11/2014 Colonel Meow said:
On 7/11/2014 HonnyBrown said:

Thanks Colonel. I see the exact opposite. It seems like the bullies and trolls go out of their way to show that's not them.

I'd like to see what direction this thread will go now.

Honny, I'm late to this thread - just read it within the last hour. Have there been those kinds of posts that were deleted here?

I don't think any posts have been deleted, CM.

I think this thread has been somewhat derailed by name-calling and diverting our attention from the discussion, sometimes passionate, of the topic at hand.

I don't think we can forget that this is a very serious topic, especially for those who have suffered from skin cancer or those, like me, who are pretty much a ticking time bomb due SOLELY to UV rays.

And I say "solely," because my actinic keratoses (also called solar keratoses) are a direct and unambiguous result of sun exposure. These AKs can and do lead to squamous cell skin cancer, which can be very disfiguring and can also metastasize.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

Sorry, didn't mean for that to post twice like that, at 2 posters. I'm only interested in the source. I have read a few articles on the 15-20 minute rule, but the sources seem to contradict themselves when checking the same source for Melanoma. Plus, the were outdated. Stating that Interferon is the treatment of choice. According to my Mayo oncologist, if Interferon is suggested as treatment RUN, far away, as fast as possible.

Honored Contributor

On 7/11/2014 sidsmom said:
On 7/11/2014 dooBdoo said:

I do agree that it's not good to post misinformation about things.

I think what I was trying to say was that maybe it would be best for people to not get too riled. I saw some earlier posts in this thread and it looked like thread was about to get a little...heated, to say the least.

Hi, NC Bandwagon! You've only been posting here a short while, so I think I can understand your being puzzled. Some topics have been re-hashed countless times, some quoted websites are bound to get a reaction (both positive and negative), and the posters who've seen them tend to remember the past threads. Not that I condone it, but I think it often accounts for a bit of a bristly attitude from some. Even though we do see helpful info posted at times, in general I wish QVC wouldn't allow any medical or pharmaceutical advice posted here. I think it's irresponsible and sometimes quite dangerous, but the Q continues to allow it so we have to try and make the best of it.

Hello. Smile

When you put it that way, perhaps you're right about the not posting medical or pharmaceutical advice. I could see how that might cause problems. No offense to you, sidsmom. I get the feeling that you weren't trying to stir up anything.

Hey, NC Bandwagon! You're right, it wasn't my intent to start a thread to get posters riled up. The list of topics is slowly becoming very limited...the conceptual, creative posters of years ago are long gone. I could easily start 10-15 posts everyday...just from the stuff that I observe or flies through my head, but I know better. =Smiley Very Happy. Have a good evening!

With all due respect, a comment such as the one I placed in bold letters does come across as an insult to current posters. In fact, there are many "conceptual, creative posters" here.

I've only been on these forums for a few years. It's my observation and experience that many of the posters who have gone did so after expressing their disgust at repeatedly being insulted or being called names.

If someone is confident in their position, they "attack" the topic, not the poster(s).

I'll quote my own siggy line: "You don't have to disrespect and insult others simply to hold your own ground. If you do, that shows how shaky your own position is.” ~Red Haircrow

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova