Respected Contributor

Re: Sunglasses. What Do You Look For?

I think you can find great quality sunglasses in all price points to fit within a budget.  I've had Oakleys, which are pricey. In the past I had no problem spending a lot for sunglasses as I'm very careful with them and hold on to them for YEARS.  So the cost is small when you figure how many years you have them.

These days, I prefer not to spend the big bucks.

Respected Contributor

I view sunglasses as a more of a health necessity than fashion accessory.

I have two pairs. One pair of Ray Ban Havana frames with my prescription lenses in them, and one pair of Maui Jim Ho'Okipa non prescription with bronze/brown lenses for golf. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@monicakm    I can tell you are a bling girl and I am the opposite.  I buy my sunglasses from the Prive Revaux collections either on QVC or their website for $29.99 and look like $150.  They are polarized which you really want to protect your eyes.  They may have bling but I know they have different shapes.   Cat Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

It is very easy to find polarized sunglasses that are very affordable.  I have some that were under $10.00 from Walmart, some that were $15.00 from Amazon and others that I got on clearance for $7.00. 

I own 2 pair of Prive Reveaux sunglasses and I notice no difference in the vision with those over my cheap sunglasses even though PR claims their polarized lenses are different.  I just don't get it.         

Super Contributor

I know many people recommend polarized lenses to cut glare, etc.  Do any of you find that when wearing them some things look weird?  Like puddles of water on the road after rain ( I couldn't tell it was a puddle since there was no reflection), the screen of the gps in the car is not clear, the windshields of passing cars have a cross hatch weird pattern and so on.  Obviously great for water activities but everyday stuff kinda looks weird to me.  It's prob just me!  I just had my second cataract surgery today and can't believe how bright & light sensitive I've become since having the first one done a few weeks ago.  First thing I'm purchasing is new sunglasses!!  I've been wearing my old ones inside my house since the surgery.  Even looking inside my fridge is soo bright Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@RainyDayGal 

I haven't purchased many sunglasses but when I did, I used to get them at WM or JC Penny's.  It wasn't until a couple of years ago when I was in an optical store with my parents while dad was being fitted for new glasses that I discovered the difference in vision quality.  There is a huge difference between a $7 pair of sunglasses from WM and a $100 pair from an optical store. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Katcat1 

Me?  Bling?  Well not really.  I don't want to be seen as one of those women who walk around with an orange tan and gaudy bling from head to toe and a big bling-y tote.  I prefer to just keep it tasteful and understated.  I don't wear necklaces of any kind.  My rings are tasteful and mostly I wear no more than two at a time.  My Samsung watch has a bracelet type band that is a little blingy.  I do like blingy flip-flops in the summer and when it's not flip flop season, I'm in Nikes.  Sadly, with my back and now my knee issue, I can't wear heels.  But my makeup, hair and top are always on point Smiley Happy  I'm too shy to wear all that bliny jewelry.  I don't want to be looked at that much.

Honored Contributor

@monicakm    I certainly did not mean it as bad thing but when I saw the picture of the  sunglasses with the bling on the side that you posted, that's where I got the idea.  Do not take offense.  I did not picture you with a QT tan (remember that?) with bling hanging from your neck and ears.  I hope you are feeling better.  With age, everything goes south -- boobs, knees, face, neck.  Getting old is a real challenge.  I normally grin and bear it because there is no turning back.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I bought two pairs of Gucci sunglasses from HSN or ShopHQ last year and love them.  They are wide or big or whatever you'd call it.  

I like to match my hair to my glasses and sometimes it's brown and sometimes it's platinum and both pairs of glasses match that.

I do have black glasses (several pairs) that I love and are comfortable because I do wear a lot of black.  I have a couple of pairs of Oscar de la Renta that are my *go to*.  They were cheap, but look really nice.  I don't like bling.  I prefer no markings, if possible, just smooth lines.

I do like larger, square glasses and never go for round-ish or oval.  My face is heart shaped and I have high cheekbones.

I wear sunglasses everytime I step outside, even if I'm only going out for a second!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I look for a classic style that flatters my face. Nothing trendy, or too small, or too big. If they bother my ears I won't buy them. I don't want obvious logos or embellishment. I buy mine at discount or drugstores. I've never spent more than $25. I wear mine mainly for driving and walking in the sun.