Super Contributor

Re: Sunglasses. What Do You Look For?

I have Maui Jims too.  But need a pair with more contrast for the cloudy days. . . Any one have a pair of MJ s that meet that criteria?

Honored Contributor

@SunnysMom wrote:

I have Maui Jims too.  But need a pair with more contrast for the cloudy days. . . Any one have a pair of MJ s that meet that criteria?

@SunnysMom I am a huge fan of MJ and have a few pairs with different color lenses.  The brown or rose color lense are for those cloudy overcast days.  The black ones are for bright sunny days.  I wear sunglasses all the time.  I find MJ to have the best polarized lenses and it does cut the glare.  I have a designer pair of sunglasses that I hardly wear because they dont cut the glare and its hard to see out of them.  Like someone else mentioned, their customer service is excellent.

Super Contributor

I have those two colors also.  Wondered about the green they have. . .more contrast.  

Honored Contributor

I'm not fussy about my sunglasses cuz I need the kind that fit over my regular glasses. I want them polarized and it would be nice if they had a little side part too that protected the eyes.  Hard to explain what I mean.  Anyway, as long as they protect my blue eyes from the sun, are polarized, and fit over my regular glasses, I'm good to go.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I cannot stand big, huge oversized sunglasses.  

I want polarized lenses and then I look for style.  I own quite a few pair and the days of me spending a lot on sunglasses is over.  I buy a lot of them on sale or from Amazon.   

Respected Contributor

Anything that does not look like it's trying to swallow my face.  I definitely do not go for the bug eyes or the dinner plate size and think they look ridiculous on people. To each their own, but I don't understand why sunglasses should be halfway up your forehead and halfway down your face.

Esteemed Contributor

100%  UVA & UVB lens protection

Proper fit  & large lenses

Honored Contributor

I look for a fashionable frame that looks good, usually black or tortoise, but the lenses have to be large enough to get appropriate protection. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've always worn Ray-Ban wayfarers or aviators. They're classic and good quality. What I like about them is the arms don't block my peripheral vision which I find very important when I'm driving.

These are my original 80's RB white wayfarers, with glass lenses:

download (1).jpg

My all-black RB aviators:

download (2).jpg

I also own several mountaineering glasses but those aren't really about fashion as they are about function plus they aren't exactly cute.

Honored Contributor

@monicakm 

My eyes have always been sensitive to the sun, and I tear up too, not good especially since I wear 1 contact (monovision).

Years ago, I went to a sport shop to get some "GOOD" sunglasses and got Oakley sunglases with "wrap around" lenses! 

They're for skiers and I love, love them!

They come back far enough that no sun gets around my eyes for tears (or wrinkles) and they don't slide down or sit on your face to cause lines.

The nose and rubber on the ear are replaceable!

The sun won't get anywhere near you AND I can see on those "bright, gray" days too!  They're skiers glasses!!!

Oakley M2 Frame XL Sunglasses Review | SportRx