Trusted Contributor

Re: Sun Screen for the face....

@Krissy_1968 wrote:

I have used Skinn Daily Defense and had no issues with it but I also have Isomer's Sunscreen with UV pearls...it is very good for those sensitive to sunscreen ingredients! Here is a little bit about the Isomer's brand sunscreen...

Isomer's Sunscreen with UV pearls:

Purified Water, Cetearyl Alcohol, Phenyl Trimethicone, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Propylene Glycol, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Mineral Oil, Panthenol, Silica, PVP, Chlorphenesin, Tocopheryl Acetate, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf extract, Ceteareth-20, Polysorbate 60, BHT, Phenoxyethanol, Disodium EDTA, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben.

Active Ingredients:
Zinc Oxide  ..................................8    %
Octyl Methoxycinnamate ................7.5 %

A breakthrough in sunscreen safety. Sunscreen with UV Pearls - SPF 20, protects the skin against the harmful rays of the sun to help prevent skin damage. An effective way to protect your skin from harmful sun rays. Tiny glass beads entrap ultra violet absorbers, and keep them on the skin surface to enhance protection and skin comfort. Easy to apply.

Who is it for?

Provides excellent performance on all skin types. Does not burn or irritate the skin or eyes. Can be used by all ages.

Why is it unique?

• Puts UV protection on the skin surface – just where you want it
  • SPF 20 (15 is the minimum and we determined more than SPF20 is not more effective)
  • A product that offers protection to PREVENT lines and wrinkles
  • Like sunglasses for the skin, protects against UVA/UVB

Contains UV Pearls:

• Tiny glass beads – one hundredth of the width of a human hair in diameter
  • Are very stable and create a protective film on the skin. 
  • Offer maximum protection – without penetrating the skin, allowing it to be used on sensitive or allergic skin
  • UV absorbers that contain sunscreen chemicals that are entrapped in glass thus preventing any incompatibility with other ingredients or sensitive skin.  This means less irritation to your skin
  • Like "sunglasses for the skin"

Why we use the UV Pearls – it’s not a chemical sunscreen provides physical block

• If you are buying a chemical sunscreen, for full sun protection, you are only getting half the protection.  You get only UVB protection, but no UVA.  There is no real test for UVA protection.  It is higher energy and penetrates the skin deeper.  This product is an occlusive block - it blocks the sun.  Chemical sunscreens react with the sun.  The last thing he wants is a product on his skin that reacts and causes free radicals.
  • Another concern is that chemical sunscreens can be absorbed into your skin and your body.
  • Chemical sunscreens don't block the sun.  They react with it.  Free radicals are what we want to avoid.

Also contains Zinc

• Zinc is a moisturizer and trace mineral, naturally found in healthy skin
  • Zinc is also a sunscreen. 

Three ingredients provide UVA protection

• ZnO2 (What we use),
  • TiO2 - better than chemical sunscreens but it reacts with the sunlight and causes free radicals,
  • And Avebenzone Parasol 79 that absorbed into the skin and "I'd never put it on my body". 

As a physical block, this product doesn't select between UVA and UVB - it helps protects against both.

Chemical sunscreens have a chemistry set of ingredients because none of them alone block across the UV spectrum. 

• Sunscreen:
  • Essential to healthy skin – yet many do not / cannot use as formulations are irritating to the skin and many times very thick, tacky and unpleasant to use.  This new system of encapsulation on positioning on top of the skin – makes this sunscreen agreeable and ideal for all skin types, while also resulting in a pleasing and aesthetically desirable formulation
  • Need to be applied properly for adequate protection
  • Should be used by everyone
  • Should be used year round
  • Should be used on all exposed skin
  • Importance of Sunscreen
  • Sunscreen is a very serious product from a regulatory standpoint.  It is considered an OTC (over the counter drug) drug and has a "drug facts" panel on a "true sunscreen"; a lot of companies take liberty with what they do. 
  • is used to help  protect the skin from serious sun damage

@Krissy_1968 this sounds like a good SS. I have never used this line. I have enough SS's for now just having bought a new one and have a few others..mine comes off clear (zinc) which really is the best mineral in a SPF. So I have a question, does this leave a white cast? some do and it goesa way shortly. Curious as I love trying new SS's and would like to try this near future. Thanks

My son went to Heaven 4/15/2018
I love and miss him so very much. God Bless you my dear Nicky
Trusted Contributor

@mimi5775 wrote:

@Krissy_1968 wrote:

@Krissy_1968 this sounds like a good SS. I have never used this line. I have enough SS's for now just having bought a new one and have a few others..mine comes off clear (zinc) which really is the best mineral in a SPF. So I have a question, does this leave a white cast? some do and it goesa way shortly. Curious as I love trying new SS's and would like to try this near future. Thanks

Hi @mimi5775 this Isomer's sunscreen with UV pearls starts as a white cream...I just went and applied some to my forearm and within a few rubs it had gone clear...it has a very slight sunscreen-ish scent but it is barely detectable unless you bring it right under your nose...not greasy at all...for a sunscreen, which is such an unsexy product, but offers us the best anti-aging, this one is prob my favorite along with the Skinn one...that one IS chemical but has anti aging ingredients too...I need to try his Skinn Mineral SPF which is rarely offered anywhere...I may have to go to his site or ebay to get it...

When you are almost out of yours, keep the Isomers one in mind..I liked the idea the ingredients were in very very very very small glass beads that sit on the skin and absorb the bad UVA/UVB vs one that absorbs into the skin whether that be chemical or mineral based...HTH's Woman Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I really like Josie Maran's Protect & Perfect moisturizer with spf.  I've had a problem over the years with sunscreen causing breakouts or leaving that white cast on my skin, but not with this one.  It's $36. In the drugstore I like Neutrogena's Ultra Sheer  Dry Touch which is available in spf level 30 through 100.

Regular Contributor

Tiny glass beads in the Isomers product sounds crazy, I have never heard of such a thing. I don't think I would have the guts to use something like that on my face.

Trusted Contributor

@Krissy_1968 wrote:

@mimi5775 wrote:

@Krissy_1968 wrote:

Hi @mimi5775 this Isomer's sunscreen with UV pearls starts as a white cream...I just went and applied some to my forearm and within a few rubs it had gone clear...it has a very slight sunscreen-ish scent but it is barely detectable unless you bring it right under your nose...not greasy at all...for a sunscreen, which is such an unsexy product, but offers us the best anti-aging, this one is prob my favorite along with the Skinn one...that one IS chemical but has anti aging ingredients too...I need to try his Skinn Mineral SPF which is rarely offered anywhere...I may have to go to his site or ebay to get it...

When you are almost out of yours, keep the Isomers one in mind..I liked the idea the ingredients were in very very very very small glass beads that sit on the skin and absorb the bad UVA/UVB vs one that absorbs into the skin whether that be chemical or mineral based...HTH's Woman Happy

@Krissy_1968 thanks a lot...always on the lookout for a new SPF try - seems very neat way they dispense micro beds to help offset UV rays!

I'm going to jot it down on my list of things to try 'n buy...sounds very good. The % of zinc is 7% or higher so that sits well with me. I do not mind that scent. I assume it's for the face and neck? I use other spf's high zinc for my body...large bottles. I will check it out soon. Ty again. My last buy recently was a brand new to me but no white cast 2 oz. and sight unseen it's just wonderful Epionce from Dermstore on sale had just spoke about it a few days ago but post. I'm not into chemical l types on my face /neck/chest due to environmental cancers (being in hospice nursing seeing very odd cancers gets one paranoid!) I do use a La Roch Posay's SPF 60 water (something it's called) sometimes on really sunny days or  if on a beach but not into using it much. Not health nut but try to stay away from chemicals on my face and some make my eyes burn, I have eczema flare ups at times too ...something new to add to my list of aging! arghhh lol.

My son went to Heaven 4/15/2018
I love and miss him so very much. God Bless you my dear Nicky
Trusted Contributor

Paula's Choice here. I'm away from home, or I'd check to see which one I use, but the SPF I believe is 30 & it's for dry skin.

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

I was at my dermatologist this week and he said sunscreen needs to be reapplied every hour and every 45 minutes if you are being active and sweating.

JustJazzmom wrote:

The important thing is that the sunscreen will need to be applied every 2 hours if you are out in the sun for a large part of the day. I usually buy something at CVS or local supermarket with a coupon -- Banana Boat, Coppertone or even Neutrogena are all equally good. Be sure to purchase one that blocks both UVA and UVB rays.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

Thank you all for the great suggestions.  I'm  going to check them out.  I was curious about supergoop I don't think I've heard of that before.  Where can that be purchased?

Respected Contributor

My derm told me the best sunscreen is one you will use and re-apply often. He said just pick one! He added that skin cancer isn't a good look for anyone.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield