Respected Contributor

Re: Sun Screen for the face....

SKINN

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The important thing is that the sunscreen will need to be applied every 2 hours if you are out in the sun for a large part of the day. I usually buy something at CVS or local supermarket with a coupon -- Banana Boat, Coppertone or even Neutrogena are all equally good. Be sure to purchase one that blocks both UVA and UVB rays.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Valued Contributor

I have a few suggestions and they are all physical sunscreens: Elta MD Physical, Suntegrity and LaRoche Posay Anthelios Mineral. All are reasonable in price. LaRoche Posay often has 30% off on their website.
Respected Contributor

I love

Cotz Face Sunscreen for Natural Skin Tones, SPF 40

I get this from various places such as drugstore  (online), Ulta, Sephora, or Walgreens.

I'm going to buy another one at Walgreens on March 1 with my 55+ age discount.  I hope they have it in the store.

Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

I like Supergoop City Serum and other Supergoop products. I have to use chemical sunscreens for broad spectrum coverage because Zinc Oxide makes my skin red and flakey.

@ChynnaBlue I get a similar reaction if the Zinc is a high % (usually 10% or more) but I also get a similar reaction to ANY and ALL chemical sunscreens. Smiley Sad

Trusted Contributor

Anorher vote for Supergoop. Wonderful products

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

I like Supergoop City Serum and other Supergoop products. I have to use chemical sunscreens for broad spectrum coverage because Zinc Oxide makes my skin red and flakey.

@ChynnaBlue I get a similar reaction if the Zinc is a high % (usually 10% or more) but I also get a similar reaction to ANY and ALL chemical sunscreens. Smiley Sad

Skin reactions are so weird!

Zinc Oxide is the main ingredient in diaper rash ointment because it's soothing and calms redness, but there we are, it irritates us.

What have you found that works for you, @HappyDaze?

I'm good with some chemical sunscreens and not others. Some only bother me on very hot days when I'm hot and sweaty and my pores are all open. You know, the times you most want sunscreen. What a hassle!

Clarins UV HP Day Screen is a physical sunscreen I can use, but it's not broad spectrum.

Regular Contributor

@susanks1 wrote:

Elta MD SPF 41 tinted

I agree. This is the only sunscreen that works for my face.

Trusted Contributor

I have used Skinn Daily Defense and had no issues with it but I also have Isomer's Sunscreen with UV pearls...it is very good for those sensitive to sunscreen ingredients! Here is a little bit about the Isomer's brand sunscreen...

Isomer's Sunscreen with UV pearls:

Purified Water, Cetearyl Alcohol, Phenyl Trimethicone, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Propylene Glycol, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Mineral Oil, Panthenol, Silica, PVP, Chlorphenesin, Tocopheryl Acetate, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf extract, Ceteareth-20, Polysorbate 60, BHT, Phenoxyethanol, Disodium EDTA, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben.

Active Ingredients:
Zinc Oxide  ..................................8    %
Octyl Methoxycinnamate ................7.5 %

A breakthrough in sunscreen safety. Sunscreen with UV Pearls - SPF 20, protects the skin against the harmful rays of the sun to help prevent skin damage. An effective way to protect your skin from harmful sun rays. Tiny glass beads entrap ultra violet absorbers, and keep them on the skin surface to enhance protection and skin comfort. Easy to apply.

Who is it for?

Provides excellent performance on all skin types. Does not burn or irritate the skin or eyes. Can be used by all ages.

Why is it unique?

• Puts UV protection on the skin surface – just where you want it
  • SPF 20 (15 is the minimum and we determined more than SPF20 is not more effective)
  • A product that offers protection to PREVENT lines and wrinkles
  • Like sunglasses for the skin, protects against UVA/UVB

Contains UV Pearls:

• Tiny glass beads – one hundredth of the width of a human hair in diameter
  • Are very stable and create a protective film on the skin. 
  • Offer maximum protection – without penetrating the skin, allowing it to be used on sensitive or allergic skin
  • UV absorbers that contain sunscreen chemicals that are entrapped in glass thus preventing any incompatibility with other ingredients or sensitive skin.  This means less irritation to your skin
  • Like "sunglasses for the skin"

Why we use the UV Pearls – it’s not a chemical sunscreen provides physical block

• If you are buying a chemical sunscreen, for full sun protection, you are only getting half the protection.  You get only UVB protection, but no UVA.  There is no real test for UVA protection.  It is higher energy and penetrates the skin deeper.  This product is an occlusive block - it blocks the sun.  Chemical sunscreens react with the sun.  The last thing he wants is a product on his skin that reacts and causes free radicals.
  • Another concern is that chemical sunscreens can be absorbed into your skin and your body.
  • Chemical sunscreens don't block the sun.  They react with it.  Free radicals are what we want to avoid.

Also contains Zinc

• Zinc is a moisturizer and trace mineral, naturally found in healthy skin
  • Zinc is also a sunscreen. 

Three ingredients provide UVA protection

• ZnO2 (What we use),
  • TiO2 - better than chemical sunscreens but it reacts with the sunlight and causes free radicals,
  • And Avebenzone Parasol 79 that absorbed into the skin and "I'd never put it on my body". 

As a physical block, this product doesn't select between UVA and UVB - it helps protects against both.

Chemical sunscreens have a chemistry set of ingredients because none of them alone block across the UV spectrum. 

• Sunscreen:
  • Essential to healthy skin – yet many do not / cannot use as formulations are irritating to the skin and many times very thick, tacky and unpleasant to use.  This new system of encapsulation on positioning on top of the skin – makes this sunscreen agreeable and ideal for all skin types, while also resulting in a pleasing and aesthetically desirable formulation
  • Need to be applied properly for adequate protection
  • Should be used by everyone
  • Should be used year round
  • Should be used on all exposed skin
  • Importance of Sunscreen
  • Sunscreen is a very serious product from a regulatory standpoint.  It is considered an OTC (over the counter drug) drug and has a "drug facts" panel on a "true sunscreen"; a lot of companies take liberty with what they do. 
  • is used to help  protect the skin from serious sun damage
Valued Contributor

Paula's Choice has reliable sunscreen SPF 30 that protects against UVB & UVA rays. QVC I know sells some, but there's a few more at her website. Cotz and Mary Kay is also good. I have had break outs in the past from facial sunscreen, but these brands don't clog my pores or break my budget.