Esteemed Contributor

Re: Sun Screen ~ Double Check your brand!!!!

[ Edited ]

@decaf wrote:

@SilleeMee  I'm reading they're an independent testing lab, they've sent the results of this study to the FDA asking them to recall these products. I use Target UP and UP Clear Aloe Gel (at the end of this list) to make Vitamin C serum so I'll be following this story.

Yes, hopefully they will be successful for the ones they found with that chemical.  It shouldn't be there.  Never mind the acceptable limits as prescribed by the FDA. 

They were successful at getting Zantac recalled a few years ago and I don't think it is on the market any longer because Valisure got the FDA to recall it.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@decaf wrote:

@SilleeMee  I'm reading they're an independent testing lab, they've sent the results of this study to the FDA asking them to recall these products. I use Target UP and UP Clear Aloe Gel (at the end of this list) to make Vitamin C serum so I'll be following this story.

@decaf 

There are hundreds of independent testing labs all over the place. Many are funded by private corp in order to use the data to launch new products. I'm leery when that kind of stuff goes on b/c much of it is not completely transparent when it comes to why the testing is being done to begin with. Just sounds fishy.

I'm more concerned about the use of sodium benzoate, a preservative used today in place of parabens. SB converts to benzene in the presence of other ingredients such as ascorbic acid  as well as other food/cosmetic acids.

@SilleeMeeNot this one.

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@decaf 

The FDA does regulate cosmetics.

https://www.fda.gov/cosmetics/cosmetics-laws-regulations/fda-authority-over-cosmetics-how-cosmetics-...

The only oversight the FDA can do here is check facilities.  They do not actually test OTC products.  They can barely keep up with checking for food @SilleeMee

Esteemed Contributor

I do thank you for the post @gertrudecloset, this is information I like to be aware of.

Trusted Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@decaf wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@decaf wrote:

@decaf @SilleeMee The valisure report was surely very technical and complex.  They want the FDA to recall some products.  Reading it together with the Shape article, the Shape article stated that the items at Table 2 (page 12) were the ones they recommended consumers discard because Valisure detected benzene at 2 ppm or higher, which is the FDA max limit when unavoidable.  I think the other tables represented products with levels of benzene below this, which would be less risky, and Up and Up is in one of the other tables.  Valisure's advocacy extends against these products because they claim that the benzene is avoidable because some products do not have benzene.  So products in Tables other than 2, raised, if I understood correctly, a lower level of risk.  

Do not take my word for any of this, I am just trying to understand.  If anyone thinks I am wrong feel free to correct me.

@NYCLatinaMe  Thanks for deciphering that study so much better than I could.  I suspect these companies don't properly test the raw materials they're putting in these products. Probably just take the word of a third party lab (partner).. The FDA should get involved in this, regardless of Valisure's motivation here. This may be the tip of an iceberg, Valisure only tested a tiny percentage of the spf products we all can buy in the US. Someone mentioned all the face makeup with spf too. We deserve better than these mega companies basically being left alone to regulate themselves.  JMO

@decaf What I understood, which may or may not be correct is that the benzene is not associated with any one ingredient, but that it was the result of the manufacturing process.  So they claim the issue was not the ingredients.

@NYCLatinaMe   Thanks for correcting my mistake. These companies need to develop new manufacturing processes that eliminate the benzene. It must be possible if other companies' SPF products are benzene free.

Esteemed Contributor

I actually follow @Mindy D 's recall pages all the time.  Always.  It's nice of her to do this.  No one has to do this on these forums.  If I stumble upon something while reading and I see it has not been mentioned by her, I will post it.  We can't expect her to be everywhere!  LOL.

Thank you!

Trusted Contributor

@gertrudecloset  ITA. Very kind of you to mention @Mindy D  contribution here.

Esteemed Contributor

@decaf wrote:

@gertrudecloset  ITA. Very kind of you to mention @Mindy D  contribution here.

It's true @decaf .  She used to do it in Community Chat and I think some posters got uptight about it.  So I come here or wellness to check for them.

Trusted Contributor

@gertrudecloset   I noticed the same, especially at the height of Covid, many didn't want any more negative news.  I can almost understand that but, none of us read every single thread, skip over it to something that interests you.  There's something here for everyone. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's not any particular brand. It's certain products.

Here's the list of the contaminated products. THe number in bold is the Parts Per Million (PPM). There should be 0 PPM of benzene in a sunscreen.

The worst ones (all Neutrogena sprays! Hmmm)

NeutrogenaSprayBeach Defense Oil-Free Body Sunscreen Spray - SPF 1003.18(0.41-5.20)
NeutrogenaSprayUltra Sheer Weightless Sunscreen Spray, SPF 703.02(<0.1-5.96)
NeutrogenaSprayInvisible Daily Defense Body Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 60+2.48(1.99-4.65)
NeutrogenaSprayUltra Sheer Weightless Sunscreen Spray, SPF 100+2.30(0.37-6.26)

Second worst ones

GoodsenseLotionSunscreen Lotion SPF 300.71 
Raw ElementsLotionEco Formula Sunscreen Lotion SPF 300.68(ND - 1.35)
NeutrogenaSprayCooldry Sport Water-Resistant Sunscreen Spray SPF 700.66 
NeutrogenaSprayUltra Sheer Body Mist Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 30 Spray0.49 
Banana BoatSprayUltraMist Deep Tanning Dry Oil Continuous Clear Spray SPF 40.36 
Banana BoatSprayKids Max Protect & Play Sunscreen C-Spray SPF 1000.18(ND-0.41)
NeutrogenaSprayUltra Sheer Body Mist Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 450.15 
Banana BoatSprayUltra Sport Clear Sunscreen Spray SPF 1000.15 
NeutrogenaLotionUltra Sheer Dry-Touch Water Resistant Sunscreen SPF 700.13 
NeutrogenaSprayCooldry Sport Water-Resistant Sunscreen Spray SPF 500.13 
TopCare EverydayLotionUltimate Sheer Sunscreen Lotion SPF 700.12 
EltaMDSprayUV Aero Broad-Spectrum Full-Body Sunscreen Spray, SPF 450.11

Less Bad Ones

CVS HealthLotion70 Beach Guard Sun Sunscreen SPF 70<0.1 
La Roche-PosaySprayAnthelios Sunscreen Lotion Spray SPF 60<0.1 
AveenoLotionBaby Continuous Protection Sensitive Skin Sunscreen Lotion Broad Spectrum SPF 50<0.1 
Live Better by CVS HealthSprayBody Mineral Spray Sunscreen SPF 50<0.1 
WalgreensLotionBroad Spectrum Sport SPF 50 Sunscreen<0.1 
Raw ElementsLotionEco Formula Sunscreen Lotion Tin SPF 30<0.1 
EquateLotionKids Broad Spectrum Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 50<0.1(ND-<0.1)
Banana BoatSprayKids Sport Sunscreen Lotion Spray SPF 50<0.1 
BabyganicsSprayKid's Sunscreen Continuous Spray - SPF 50<0.1 
Ethical ZincLotionNatural Clear Zinc Sunscreen SPF 50+<0.1 
Sun BumLotionOxy Free Zinc Oxide Sunscreen Lotion - SPF 50<0.1 
Banana BoatSprayProtective Dry Oil Clear Sunscreen Spray with Coconut Oil SPF 15<0.1(ND-<0.1)
SolimoLotionSheer Face Sunscreen Lotion SPF 55 (842379152474 Upc Description)<0.1 
CVS HealthSpraySheer Mist Spray Broad Spectrum Uva/Uvb Cont. Spray Sunscreen SPF 70<0.1(ND-<0.1)
NeutrogenaLotionSheer Zinc Dry-Touch Face Sunscreen SPF 50<0.1 
Banana BoatSpraySimply Protect Kids Sunscreen Spray SPF 50+<0.1 
CVS HealthSpraySport Clear Spray Sunscreen SPF 100+<0.1 
WalgreensLotionSport Lotion Sunscreen SPF 50<0.1 
TopCare EverydayLotionSport Sunscreen Lotion SPF 70<0.1 
Max BlockLotionSport Sunscreen Lotion Water Resistance Blue 30 SPF<0.1 
Max BlockLotionSunscreen Lotion 4 Fl Oz Broad Spectrum Water Resistant SPF 30<0.1 
WalgreensLotionSunscreen Sport SPF 50<0.1 
TopCare EverydayLotionUltimate Sheer Sun Lotion Sunscreen SPF 55<0.1 
Banana BoatSprayUltra Defense Ultra Mist Clear Sunscreen Spray SPF 100<0.1 
CVS HealthLotionUltra Sheer Broad Spectrum Sunscreen Lotion SPF 100 (050428415528)<0.1 
CVS HealthLotionUltra Sheer Lotion Broad Spectrum Sunscreen SPF 45<0.1 
CoppertoneSprayWhipped Sunscreen Lotion Spray SPF 50<0.1

All the rest of the sunscreens tested, 181 of them, did not contain any detectable benzene.

Also the document clearly says benzene is not Avobenzone and Avobenzone has nothing to do with the contamination.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr