Trusted Contributor

Re: Sun Screen ~ Double Check your brand!!!!

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMeeThose laws provide for self regulation. The FDA does not test any of these products.  The FDA takes over AFTER there's a problem, sometimes. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@decaf wrote:

@SilleeMeeThose laws provide for self regulation. The FDA does not test any of these products.  The FDA takes over AFTER there's a problem. 

The FDA does not test products. Manufacturers cannot use certain ingredients based on FDA regs. The FDA inspects factories where cosmetics are made and there are standards which have to be met. If you don't trust the FDA or rely on them for our safety then who do you trust? What other credible organizations can legally and morally provide us with safe cosmetics and food. When I have a problem with any cosmetic then it's the FDA I report it to, not some independent lab.

https://www.fda.gov/cosmetics/cosmetics-compliance-enforcement/inspection-cosmetics

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMeeYes, of course you report to the FDA, they're all we have. We need more federal oversight of all health and beauty products.

I had a BIG problem with a RX a few yrs ago and I emailed a report to the FDA.  They responded and asked me about 25 questions that  I had already provided the answers to in my initial email.  Then they were "encouraged" me to communicate directly  with the drug manufacurer  to resolve it, even though I initially told them that C/S for that manufacturer was in India and of no help at all!  They gave me a big runaround, did nothing  and that was a prescription medicine, which they do regulate. 

Someone should be regulationg them. Maybe you have complete faith in them, I just don't.  I think there's a ton of corruption there.  Watch that HBO show, if you can.

Honored Contributor

The HHS. @decaf 

Trusted Contributor

The HBO show about Purdue Pharma (and FDA looking the other way) is called "The Crime of the Century"

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee  I didn't know they were over the FDA.  Thank you.

Eta- When there's so much $$$ involved, it's never going to be handled in our best interest  JMO..    

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@decaf 

If you ever get a chance, there's an excellent docu about one man who was determined to find ways to establish food safety in the U.S. The docu is part of the PBS American Experience series titled The Poison Squad (2020). It tells the story of where it all happened and how. You can view it online.

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee  Good to know, I'll check it out.  I saw another one a few yrs ago, I can't recall the title. They sure make you think twice about what you put in your mouth.

Honored Contributor

@decaf 

The Poison Squad is a true story of how the FDA came to be.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee  Maybe things have changed for the worse, when big money is involved it's easy to buy people off.  I didn't sleep well last night after watching that HBO docu. The sheer greed and evil of these pharma people. So disturbing, but very enlightening.