Honored Contributor

Do these products leave your hair feeling like straw....or is it the other way around??

I can't remember what I used to know about sulfate free.

DH is wanting some purple shampoo and conditioner for his 

silver hair.

Thank you

Honored Contributor

purple shampoo is not for every wash, it dries out the hair 

sulfate shampoos don't get my hair clean

Respected Contributor

Re: Sulfate Free Shampoo

[ Edited ]

Sulfates are like the detergent in shampoos, and they strip the oils which is a good thing if you've got oily hair. Not good if your hair is color treated. I have used sulfate free shampoos for years because it is so gentle on your hair.

That is totally different than shampoo with a blue or purple cast.  Some of those may be sulfate free, and others may contain sulfate. It usually says so on the bottle because so many shampoos these days boast of being sulfate free, silicone free and parabans free. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Sulfate Free Shampoo

[ Edited ]

The Q has some available like WEN or Tweak'd lines are sulfate free.  I use those in rotation plus I found a new one at TJMaxx which is carried at Ulta by HEMPZ Sweet Pineapple & Melon Herbal Shampoo 33.8oz's.  I picked this up for 14.99 at TJMaxx much cheaper then Ulta's 26.99.  I think it is sulfate free....it is supposed to give volume also which it does for me.

Forgot to add none of these make my hair feel like straw.  I have naturally curly hair but don't want my hair over conditioned either.

Honored Contributor

@monicakm   check out iherb.com    This website has a nice selection of sulfate free shampoos.  do a search for silver hair sulfate free shampoo.  Their prices are also reasonable.  Or you can purchase Acure for blond hair removes yellow but it is also for silver hair.  They have conditioner too. Check it out at Target online.

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

Sulfate free shampoos and conditioners make my hair as dry as straw. 

Honored Contributor

This is what I use and it has sulfate but no parabens. 

It doesn't dry out my hair.  Use every 3 days and dry shampoo when needed.

image.jpg

Trusted Contributor

I've been using sulfate free shampoo for over a decade and can't remember any of them making my hair really dry.  I've had more problems with some of them being a bit too heavy for my fine hair.  There are so many choices nowadays for sulfate free shampoo and there are a lot of good ones.

Some purple shampoos can dry your hair out, especially some of the cheaper ones.  I use Pureology's Strength Cure Blonde Shampoo once every week or two and it helps keep my highlights from getting brassy and it's not drying at all.  It's pricey but it's one of my favorites and it lasts forever.  You wouldn't want to use a purple shampoo every time, regardless of how gentle it is.

Another product that I like is IGK's Mixed Feelings Purple Leave-in Blonde Toning Drops.  You add as many drops as you want to shampoo, conditioner or leave in products.  It works pretty well and it saves you from having another bottle of shampoo in the shower.

Honored Contributor

I've been sulfate-free for years since I color my hair red.  Some do dry my hair, but not all.  Something to remember, if you use products with silicones, you will need to use a sulfate-shampoo occasionally to get the buildup out of your hair.  Sulfate-free shampoos will not get silicone buildup out of your hair.  Same for hard water.  I clarify with Malibu Hard Water Wellness before I color every 5 weeks.

Respected Contributor

Can you mention some of the ones you have tried and liked? I have  never tried sulfate free shampoo but would like to try to see what it does for my  hair.