Valued Contributor

Suggestions for extra dry skin?

My skin seems extra dry right now ...I take good care of it, use moisturizer, mask, exfoliate, drink water, etc.  

Please give me your best suggestions for what you do/products you use when your skin is extra dry...

Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Re: Suggestions for extra dry skin?

@barb40 wrote:

My skin seems extra dry right now ...I take good care of it, use moisturizer, mask, exfoliate, drink water, etc.  

Please give me your best suggestions for what you do/products you use when your skin is extra dry...

Thanks!

@barb40  Face: I go easy and cut back exfoliating, Retin A,   and my Clarisonic. I use a gentle oil cleanser, go w/ my BB Extra Balm Moisturizer day and night. Body: Last week, posters recommended dry brushing and Vanicream. That’s been working great.

Valued Contributor

In the winter months, I add a argan oil based serum.  There are many on the market but I get one that is a CVS brand, Beauty 360.   It works well...I also use it on my cuticles, hands and heels.   I agree with the first poster who mentioned on oil based cleanser..that can help alot as well.

Respected Contributor

Dr. Jart ceramidin liquid and cream. Saved my skin after an unexpected episode leaving me dry and tight. 

Esteemed Contributor

I always have super dry skin with a ton of allergies and sensitives. I take medication which seems to aggrivate the state. Here's what I use to get the relief that I have:

JM body butter

JM Divine drip

First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream

(All of the above work for me,. I alternate the body butter and ultra repait cream just to fit my budget. The divine drip I use in the winter.)

L'Occataine Almond oil shower gel

First Aid Beauty Shower Scrub or cleanser

JM sugar scrub

(I alertnate the scrub and one of the cleansers. The duo of a gel and a cleansr during the week seems to keep the flakiness in check....for me)

Hope you get some relief from one or some of these like I do.

Honored Contributor

CeraVe ,product, cleansers, creams ,serums.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I never wash with hot or very warm water. I use a gentle cleanser and use it only once a day. I apply a light glycolic exfoliant about two to three times weekly, at night, then rinse it off in the morning. I also use cotton muslin cleansing cloths in addition to that and those seem to keep my skin very clean, smooth and flake-free.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Make sure your moisturizer is a cream that contains good oils like shea, jojoba, squalane, or moisturizing esters and fatty acids. Lower down it also MUST have several different ceramides, which will have either a number or letters after them: such as Ceramide 2 or Ceramide NP. Also for the ceramides to work cholesterol needs to be in the list. (Don't worry, it does not add to serum cholesterol.)

One cream I found that sounds really interesting is on Beautylish. It's called Mr. Reliable by Chemist Confessions. It has everything I've mentioned. Of course CeraVe moisturizer that is sold in a big tub style jar is a great standby. If you find a good ceramide cream, you can always cocktail a few drops of your favorite oil too, to make the formula complete.

Make sure you use a mild cleanser without sulfates or olefin. Those ingredients are sort of like using dish soap on your face, total overkill. Look for coco as part of the name of the ingredients-for mild cleansing. Again CeraVe makes good gentle cleansers.

And do a quick check to make sure none of your products contain alcohol denat. in the first 8 ingredients. That would be drying you out, and denatured alcohol finds its way into the most surprising products.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Frequent Contributor

All good suggestions on here. My face feels like I have a tightening mask on too.

It is -30 here this morning and I have been using Paula's Choice Clinical Ulta-Rich Moisturizer and Aquaphor mixed in. I also have the humidifier running 24/7. I said on another post I am enjoying my hot flashes this time of year.

Valued Contributor

Thank you all so much for your very helpful replies! Excellent ideas and product suggestions!  Thank you so much!!