Honored Contributor

Re: Suggestions for coarse, frizzy, dry hair?

Bio Silk/ Silk Therapy is great, I have used it off and on for years, 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

Get a keratin treatment at the salon.  There are two types...one that lasts for 6-7 months and one that lasts for 3-4 months.  I get the latter, and it lasts about 3 months.  Using a sulfate-free shampoo after getting a keratin treatment is a requirement.  You will be amazed at your hair.  You have to wait 8 hours to wash your hair after getting the 3-4 month keratin treatment.  I think you have to wait three days after getting the the 6-7 month keratin treatment, which is also more expensive.

Honored Contributor

@Suebdoo wrote:

@PugdogMom one very important thing is to not dry your hair with a towel.  I use WEN and got this tip from Chaz.  I have since seen it mentioned in other articles about curly hair.  I use an old cotton t-shirt.  No frizz!  Also if you air dry, do not touch your hair while it's drying.  That will give you frizz every time.  Just put any product you use and let your curls or waves do their thing!😁

Drying your hair with a towel does not make it frizzy.  But, rubbing your hair dry aggressively with a towel will.  You should always blot your hair dry with a towel and not rub it dry.  It doesn't matter if you use a towel or a cotton shirt.

Honored Contributor

@Ainhisg

I have been getting keratin for years never have heard of one that last 6-7 months do you know a brand name

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

I only use microfiber towels, which cut down on the frizzy 

@Carmie wrote:

@Suebdoo wrote:

@PugdogMom one very important thing is to not dry your hair with a towel.  I use WEN and got this tip from Chaz.  I have since seen it mentioned in other articles about curly hair.  I use an old cotton t-shirt.  No frizz!  Also if you air dry, do not touch your hair while it's drying.  That will give you frizz every time.  Just put any product you use and let your curls or waves do their thing!😁

Drying your hair with a towel does not make it frizzy.  But, rubbing your hair dry aggressively with a towel will.  You should always blot your hair dry with a towel and not rub it dry.  It doesn't matter if you use a towel or a cotton shirt.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Suebdoo wrote:

If your towel is cotton terry, @Carmie, then I agree with @Suebdoo. The fibers tend to roughen up your hair's cuticle. Like @I am still oxox, I use only microfiber towels and still just blot gently.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

DH said my hair is drier then a popcorn fart. LOL!!!

Since menopause plus being hypothyroid my hair is so dry. Does not matter what shampoo/conditioner I use. You name it I''ve tried it. I have to add argan oil to my conditioner or my hair is really dry & frizzy.

I also use argan oil or jojoba oil & add different essential oils & leave in my hair overnight or apply in the morning & leave on all day before washing. I like using the oils they leave my hair soft & shiny. I have oils in my hair again right now.

I have been using sulfate free shampoo but they all leave your hair really dry or they do mine. I was every other day.

I noticed in the Ovation line Q sells has castor oil in it which must be what makes it work. You can also use that on your hair but you would want to mix coconut oil with the castor oil since it's so thick & sticky.

You can search online to read about the benefits of different oils for your hair.

Respected Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

@Ainhisg

I have been getting keratin for years never have heard of one that last 6-7 months do you know a brand name

I don't, oxox. The 3-4 month keratin is $100, and the 6-7 month is $400, which is why I get the 3-4 month treatment. My sister gets that one, too, and it lasts almost twice as long in her hair.

Respected Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

DH said my hair is drier then a popcorn fart. LOL!!!

Since menopause plus being hypothyroid my hair is so dry. Does not matter what shampoo/conditioner I use. You name it I''ve tried it. I have to add argan oil to my conditioner or my hair is really dry & frizzy.

I also use argan oil or jojoba oil & add different essential oils & leave in my hair overnight or apply in the morning & leave on all day before washing. I like using the oils they leave my hair soft & shiny. I have oils in my hair again right now.

I have been using sulfate free shampoo but they all leave your hair really dry or they do mine. I was every other day.

I noticed in the Ovation line Q sells has castor oil in it which must be what makes it work. You can also use that on your hair but you would want to mix coconut oil with the castor oil since it's so thick & sticky.

You can search online to read about the benefits of different oils for your hair.

Have you tried Pureology hydrate shampoo and conditioner? It is sulfate-free and so good. It is super expensive, but it works well.

Respected Contributor

@PugdogMomI have used L'anza products for years and love all their products. The "Healing Oil" is amazing.