Frequent Contributor

Suggestions for coarse, frizzy, dry hair?

I feel like I have wasted a lot of money trying various shampoos, conditioners, and styling products that promise to be great for coarse, frizzy, dry hair, all with less than satisfying results. I was hoping some of you on this forum could tell me some products (besides Wen) you've been happy with.  I've tried most of the varieties of Wen (including fig and 613), but evidently I am one of the people it's not effective on.  I would really appreciate some suggestions. Thanks!

Valued Contributor

Re: Suggestions for coarse, frizzy, dry hair?

@PugdogMom, you’re definitely not the only one. I tried Wen and it turned my hair to straw.   I’ve had great success for my fine, dry, and sometimes frizzy hair with both of these: Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine (shampoo and conditioner) and the Sleek and Shine Intensely Smooth Leave-In Conditioning Cream.  My hair also loves Isomers Revive Anti Aging shampoo and conditioner.  (I buy that from the Isomers Canada site directly because the price is about half of what they charge on the Evine site.)  I use the Garnier Leave-In product after the Revive also because it’s that good. 

Respected Contributor

My hair stylist got me onto dry oils.

I no longer have the constant frizz, it's smooth, has moisture and is very shiny! I have used the L.Oreal Extraordinary Oil line and Brazilian Oil. Both have worked marvelously! 

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

One time I had some highlights put in my hair and it damaged it, causing dry and frizzy fly-away hair.Woman Tongue It looked and felt really bad so I went back to the salon and she gave me a gloss treatment which was a clear, gel that she put on my hair and I sat under a heated dryer for about 25 minutes. The results were amazing! My hair was smooth and very shiny. The treatment lasted through many washings...about 3 weeks. Although today I don't have any highlights, I occasionally treat myself to a gloss treatment when I want my hair to look extra nice and frizz-free for a few weeks.Woman Happy

Trusted Contributor

John Frieda's Frizz Ease line is terrific to try.  He has many products and the entire line is geared toward, you guessed it, 'easing frizz'.  Definitely worth a look-see, very reasonably priced.

Honored Contributor

I recommend NEXXUS products.  I used to use then in my shop with excellent results 

Yesterday,  I was at Costco and I noticed that they carried NEXXUS Therappe Shampoo and Humectress mointerizer and conditioner.  It was less expensive there than I could buy it wholesale in my salon.

Humectress can be used as a wash out conditioner and/or a product that you can rub into to your hands then glide your hands through your hair.  It really is great for dry and frizzy hair.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I recommend NEXXUS products.  I used to use then in my shop with excellent results 

Yesterday,  I was at Costco and I noticed that they carried NEXXUS Therappe Shampoo and Humectress mointerizer and conditioner.  It was less expensive there than I could buy it wholesale in my salon.

Humectress can be used as a wash out conditioner and/or a product that you can rub into to your hands then glide your hands through your hair.  It really is great for dry and frizzy hair.

@Carmie@PugdogMom  This is the BEST shampoo and conditioner for dry hair and sensitive scalp (me-hypersensitive to everything, plus I have long hair)

I buy mine also at Costco-worth every penny.

My hairdresser is also very impressed w/the condition my hair is in, as well as being halfway down my back (goal is waist length, it's a bucket list thing).

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@maestra  I used to wear my hair waist length and these products are great.  They were mastered by Jheri Redding who was a scientist and hairdresser who was a genius.  He is also father of the Jheri curl.

He has passed away, but here is still no one better that could  develop hair products like he did.

Respected Contributor

@Carmie  I lost my hair 6 years ago from chemo and was so sad, so I decided when I was well I would grow my hair long again.

I was diagnosed and treated for breast cancer 2015-2016; it was at an early stage so no chemo again. I got to keep my hair and become cancer free.

Respected Contributor

My hairdresser has suggested I get a treatment done that will calm the frizz. I haven't had it done but she highly recommends it. I like my curly hair and don't want it to not be curly. She said she can't promise my hair wouldn't lose some of it's curl. I'm not sure what's it called but you can look it up. I do have a sealant put on my ends to help them not spilt.