Esteemed Contributor

Suggestions ...eye cream w/ retinol ?

tried the new philosophy miracle worker eye fix for the past week and now I have a rash under  my right eye .  I did notice burning on application but it did go away after a few seconds and I didn't think much of it as that happens with other products I've used as my under eye skin is very sensitive .  Now though I have a scaly, red, burning rash under one small area of my eye.  The results though on my left eye and most of my right eye excluding the rash area are very much improved and I am sure it is as a result of the retinol.  i would love to know If there is an eye cream w/ a retinol but it is gentle enough for sensitive skin ?  I can see I need that ingredient ,  but a cream that is made for the sensitive eye area if there is even such a thing.   Thank you 😸

Respected Contributor

Re: Suggestions ...eye cream w/ retinol ?

I've been using ROC eye cream with retinol - no problems.  I like the price ($15) and it seems like a good eye cream.  I have used more expensive lines for 35 years.  

Honored Contributor

@Kitty Galore wrote:

tried the new philosophy miracle worker eye fix for the past week and now I have a rash under  my right eye .  I did notice burning on application but it did go away after a few seconds and I didn't think much of it as that happens with other products I've used as my under eye skin is very sensitive .  Now though I have a scaly, red, burning rash under one small area of my eye.  The results though on my left eye and most of my right eye excluding the rash area are very much improved and I am sure it is as a result of the retinol.  i would love to know If there is an eye cream w/ a retinol but it is gentle enough for sensitive skin ?  I can see I need that ingredient ,  but a cream that is made for the sensitive eye area if there is even such a thing.   Thank you 😸

@Kitty Galore  Love you nickname! Philosophy anything irritated my face and eyes when I tried the products years ago. My derm looked at it & said too many other active ingredients. Told me to go back to my RX Retin A which I do use all over face and under my eyes....If any redness, etc. appears, you can do 1/2 Retin A & 1/2 reg. moisturizer mixed in your hand and then applied.

Philosophy skincare tends to have acid based ingredients or retinoids in all products, so a serum and then moisturizer...double doses of irritants. Then again at night adding more of those ingredients. I had 6 skincare products (including Microdelivery Wash in morning) that was peeling, exfoliating and burning my face. 

With note from derm, they accepted return of all products to their site for full refund even used ones.

Honored Contributor

@Kitty Galore

This info is not what you asked for, but I wanted to pass it along.

I have decided that I cannot use anything (much) on my eyes when the heater kicks on during the winter.

I have steroid cream that my MD rx’d last January when my eyelid rash began. I am using that (just once so far).

No eye makeup for me until this goes away. I wanted to spare anybody else from having this. It was nearly impossible to make it go away last year until I stopped applying make up and the heater went off! HTH

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
QVC Customer Care

Hi @Kitty Galore I am so sorry that happened. Someone will be contacting you.

Occasional Contributor

I have tried Philosophy a couple of times and I developrd skin rashes as well.  I've tried IT eye gel and that is currently working very well.  I will reorder this product.  Dr Denese and Clinique products are also gentle for my sensitive skin. I rotate amng these 3.  I also read the ingredients - no shea butter, no lanolin.

Honored Contributor

@Kitty Galore I don't mean this as a lecture, and I've made this same mistake myself and learned from it: If your skin burns when applying a product (and it's not a peel with acids in it which might burn legitimately), wash it off immediately with the gentlest cleanser you own. Your skin is warning you something is not right. It does not want to deal with what you are giving it.

I'd say ease up on the treatment aspect and determine which ingredients caused the bad reaction. Could be fragrance, if the product contains that, or the retinol.

I personally would not use retinol on my eye area. I want my skin there thicker, not thinner. And I don't want to make the skin more sensitive to sun damage than it already is.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

@Alice-QVC wrote:

Hi @Kitty Galore I am so sorry that happened. Someone will be contacting you.

@Alice-QVC Hi , just wanted to Thank you .  Someone did contact me and I'll be sending this item back . 😀

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you All for the replies.  I'm going to check out a couple of options and hopefully find a product I like and that won't cause irritation 😺

Valued Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Kitty Galore wrote:

@Kitty Galore  Love you nickname! Philosophy anything irritated my face and eyes when I tried the products years ago. My derm looked at it & said too many other active ingredients. Told me to go back to my RX Retin A which I do use all over face and under my eyes....If any redness, etc. appears, you can do 1/2 Retin A & 1/2 reg. moisturizer mixed in your hand and then applied.

Philosophy skincare tends to have acid based ingredients or retinoids in all products, so a serum and then moisturizer...double doses of irritants. Then again at night adding more of those ingredients. I had 6 skincare products (including Microdelivery Wash in morning) that was peeling, exfoliating and burning my face. 

With note from derm, they accepted return of all products to their site for full refund even used ones.

So I am not the only one that cannot use any Philosophy products!  Glad they work for others...