Honored Contributor

Re: Suggestions Cruelty Free Product Line

[ Edited ]

@Lise P wrote:

image.jpeg

I am not sure where you go this but it is VERY incorrect and outdated.

Revlon DOES test on animals again and started up again a few years ago! 

And Estee Lauder DOES test on animals, which is not so clearly stated on their own website.

L'occitaine also tests on animals and it cleary states so on their own

website!

Clarins DOES test as stated on their website.

Just and FYI for those that do not also want to buy products from companies OWNED by companies that still test- there are many listed in this" Do not test" box that ARE owned by companies that still test so please avoid if you don't want to line the pockets of companies that still test on animals!

These include:

Owned by L'oreal

-Urban Decay,

-The body shop

Owned by Shiseido:

- Bare escentuals

Owned by Unilever:

-Murad

-dermalogica

Owned by Estee Lauder:

-Bumble and Bumble

-La Mer

-Estee Lauder

-Mac

-Clinique

-Burts Bee

-Smashbox

-

Owned by Clorax:

-Burt's bees

Owned by Kose:

-Tarte Cosmetics

I am sure there is more but I'd have to research it and I'm tired, lol.

Just more proof that people should not blindly believe everything they read on the internet but do your own research!!

-

Regular Contributor

I have also been making the switch to cruelty-free products, and I have found a great website called credobeauty.com which sells natural and cruelty free prisucts for skin, body, hair, and color cosmetics. They are the "Sephora of the natural products." I discovered through doing my own research that many websites post conflicting information about which companies do and which do not test their products on animals. One of the posters above posted a list that is incorrect as brands like Clarins, for example, do engage in animal testing. Basically my philosophy is that all department store and most drugstore brands are off-limits for me. Sephora brand is not cruelty-free, and only a small group of products from Ulta and/or Sephora are.

These are my go-to brands:

Josie Maran

Julep

Tata Harper

RMS Beauty

Kjaer Weis

Kari Gran

Earth Tu Face

Basics of SW Brooklyn

100% Pure

Rahua hair products

good old fashioned coconut oil (organic, unrefined)

Mineral Fusion

Lauren Hutton

ByRosieJany (perfumes, body)

Ilia

One Love Organics

Another great online source is evamaison.com located in Indianapolis. They also have a website. I visit them often as I'm about 45 minutes away.

Honored Contributor

I wanted to mention that if you go to PETA's website, under 'Search for Cruelty Free Companies', they have much more extensive ways to search companies.

On the right side of this same page under 'In This Section', you'll see a link to receive their shopping guide (free) that you can keep in your purse and also on that page is a phone app.

Direct link to that page is below (no horrible pics to look at):

http://features.peta.org/cruelty-free-company-search/index.aspx

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Regular Contributor

Don't know what's wrong with me today...I forgot to add two of my absolute favorite cruelty free lines:

Mad Hippie and Boom by Cindy Joseph

Regular Contributor

Not cruelty-free company Unilever also now owns REN Skincare and Kate Somerville.

Too Faced Cosmetics was also purchased by a parent company that is not cruelty free, and Urban Decay as well. I just found out the same happened to Bite Beauty, Liz Earle, and Omorocviza.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Haircut100 wrote:

Not cruelty-free company Unilever also now owns REN Skincare and Kate Somerville.

Too Faced Cosmetics was also purchased by a parent company that is not cruelty free, and Urban Decay as well. I just found out the same happened to Bite Beauty, Liz Earle, and Omorocviza.

@Haircut100 Can you tell me where you found this info and what parent company it is because I cannot find anything to validate this info. I do know that an equity firm was brought in but nothing about a parent company buying TF out nor that it is no longer cruelty free. TIA!

Until I find out definitively,  I will continue to support Too Faced as a truly cruelty free brand.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

HappyDaze- The company that purchased (or it could be an investment company) Too Faced is called General Atantic. Originally, the Estee Lauder Group was inrested in acquiring TF, but GA purchased a majority stake for $500M. I found this info from the Wall Street Journal (June 3, 2015)l. I also remember reading a few blogs dedicated to cruelty free products expressing their disappointment in Jerrod Blandino's sell out to a company that does animal-testing. As usual, the response from TF was (as it has been from other similar companies bought out) that they remain steadfast in their cruelty free policy. Turns out Kat Von D, who also sold her company to a non-cruelty free parent company, is fighting to make all her products "vegan."

If you do find out something else, or if this is inaccurate, please let me know. I do not use TF products because I've never found anything appealing from the line, but nonetheless, I'd like to know for sure.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Haircut100 wrote:

HappyDaze- The company that purchased Too Faced is called General Atantic. Originally, the Estee Lauder Group was inrested in acquiring TF, but GA bought it for $500M. I found this info from the Wall Street Journal. I also remember reading a few blogs dedicated to cruelty free products expressing their disappointment in Jerrod Blandino's sell out to a company that does animal-testing. As usual, the response from TF was (as it has been from other similar companies bought out) that they remain steadfast in their cruelty free policy. Turns out Kat Von D, who also sold her company to a non-cruelty free parent company, is fighting to make all her products "vegan."

@Haircut100 Okay well I am still believing at this point that Too Faced IS cruelty free as they did not sell to EL but instead sold a portion to an equity firm which has nothing to do with manufacturing and animal testing. I own some older Too Faced products but haven't really bought anything from them in awhile so it doen't affect me too much but I know many love the TF line.

Kat Von D's products (as well as Marc Jabobs, Bite Beauty and Ole Hendricksen) are owned by Kendo and they do not test on animals. Here is an article about it:

http://www.peta.org/living/beauty/kat-von-d-marc-jacobs-beauty-cruelty-free/

So, again, at this point, I personally believe Kat Von D's (and Ole, Bite and Marc Jabobs) products are still cruelty free but I understand that some may still not believe that and we all have to do what we feel comfortable with.