Valued Contributor

Re: Suggestions Cruelty Free Product Line

Hi @HappyDaze

Sorry when I posted from my Iphone I spelled your name incorrectly I did repsond to your  post about Ilia lipsticks reight below yours 

Valued Contributor

Hi @rnmom

I dont know about Kroger brand , but I do know that Trader Joe's brand is cruelty free ( on the Logical Harmony website) If you are looking for a reasonable priced (comprable to drugstore prices and good quality Pacifica is a good line to look at . They have skincare , haircare, makeup and bodycare . You can find them on their website, Ulta stores/web and some healthfood stores sell them. I have their shampoo/conditioner , bath products and nail polishes . They are also Vegan in addition to being cruelty free .Good luck in your search !

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@rnmom yay!! And yes, it is shocking how many are not cruelty free (almost all drugstore brands) and how many are owned by parent companies that aren't. I was overwhelmed at first trying to find both cosmetics, skincare and household items that were from true cruelty free brands but now it is pretty painless and I have everything switched over I believe. It is still disappointing to me when I read about brands that once were cruelty free sell to parent companies that aren't, even if I personally don't use the brand, like IT. I was devastated when Urban decay sold as it was one of my favorite lines. There are certainly other brands I very much miss- like Korres which was my HG body butters and makeup for several years before they sold out; some of frederik fekkai's and Ojon hair products (completely changed formulas too), etc. I just don't believe we need to torture animals just for the sake of beauty products and household products. It is such a sad, disgusting, disturbing practice all for the sake of ironically, "beauty". Smiley Sad

Valued Contributor

Thank you to everyone posting - which companies are cruelty free.

I xld my order - yesterday's TSV with Philosphy because of that.

With that refund, I spent it a lot more wisely - new pjs.

Respected Contributor

Thank you everyone for any and all suggestions! It is appreciated!

HappyDaze- I will admit, it is overwhelming to try to make the switch to cruelty free. I had spent a long time trying to find beauty products that I liked, only to realize that they almost all did animal testing, and now, to try to switch to all new products is a big task. Especially when there is so much conflicting information out there. Example, I was looking for a new body powder to replace Avon and Johnson and Johnson so I bought Burt's Bees, thinking it was cruelty free, only to find out that it's parent company does animal testing. I guess its still a better option than Avon, but not what I was hoping to achieve. I guess I just need to be glad that I still made a better choice, even if it wasn't the best choice, and now I'm even more aware for next time. And I bought Organix conditioner because the container actually said no animal testing, only to find out they are not truly cruelty free either. I was REALLY mad about that one. 

Plus, what is listed as cruelty free on one site is not listed as cruelty free on another site. So that's where a lot of my confusion lies too. I guess I will try to stick with products that are on all the lists that I check! Any other suggestions for a newbie like me?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@rnmom wrote:

Thank you everyone for any and all suggestions! It is appreciated!

HappyDaze- I will admit, it is overwhelming to try to make the switch to cruelty free. I had spent a long time trying to find beauty products that I liked, only to realize that they almost all did animal testing, and now, to try to switch to all new products is a big task. Especially when there is so much conflicting information out there. Example, I was looking for a new body powder to replace Avon and Johnson and Johnson so I bought Burt's Bees, thinking it was cruelty free, only to find out that it's parent company does animal testing. I guess its still a better option than Avon, but not what I was hoping to achieve. I guess I just need to be glad that I still made a better choice, even if it wasn't the best choice, and now I'm even more aware for next time. And I bought Organix conditioner because the container actually said no animal testing, only to find out they are not truly cruelty free either. I was REALLY mad about that one. 

Plus, what is listed as cruelty free on one site is not listed as cruelty free on another site. So that's where a lot of my confusion lies too. I guess I will try to stick with products that are on all the lists that I check! Any other suggestions for a newbie like me?

@rnmom I generally don't use sites that list which are cruelty free or not as they a.) may not be up-to-date, b.) may simply be wrong, c.) interpret the company's cruelty free stance incorrectly and d.) may not factor in that the parent company tests (and this is important to many of us but not all). So I go to the company's website directly and look for their stance or email them if I can't find their stance on their website. Most companies really promote their cruelty free stance if they are so if it is not on their website then most likely they are not cruelty  free. But then  I also google by putting into the search engine "who owns [xyz company]" and that will usually bring up their parent company to make sure their parent company also does not test.

One thing to remember, companies like L'oreal will go on and on about how great they are in eliminating mandatory animal testing and did it before many other companies were required to yadda yadda but then there will be one line somewhere in the middle of all their back patting about animal testing "only where required by law". Sometimes it is even more subtle than that. And here is the thing-I believe the only country where it is required is China BUT China now DOES Have other ways they can prove safety that does NOT involve animal testing but it is more expensive so don't let them fool you! L'oreal makes TONS of money and can afford these other options but they still choose to test because, sadly, it is cheaper to test on our poor animals.

So become a detective and learn to read between the lines. It is sad that these companies have become so good at trying to deceive their customers by using smoke and mirrors and slight of hand to try to confuse us. Hey maybe instead of using their $$ to pay lawyers for all the creative writing that goes on in order to deceive their customers they could put that towards the non-animal testing means to prove safety??!

Respected Contributor

I didnt see Too Faced or TheBalm listed already so thought I would mention.  Alima is another one but I havent tried them so not sure how they are.

I am so glad to see more people attempting/going cruelty free. Unless we take steps to not buy, it will never change.  There is just no need for it, especially for cosmetics which are not a necessity at all.  These cosmetic companies make billions upon billions. They have more than enough money to do the right thing. 

I estimate I am about 98% cruelty free in my skincare, 100% in my makeup and 95% for haircare.  I have tossed so much but these last few items I will finish.  Some mu brands I have are owned by a parent that does test but most of it was before they were bought out.

I have been working on household products.  I think I am only about 25% free here so have some work to do.  Some things I just dont like but that is part of the transition and will continue trying new things.

I just found a dishwasher detergent at Costcos.  It is their brand, Kirkland, and not only is it not tested on animals (states it on the back) it is eco-friendly, which is another thing I am striving for. I was so excited to find it there.  I think some companies are catching on.  Yay.

Good luck with your search. 

Respected Contributor

@shopper since 1989 wrote:

Thank you to everyone posting - which companies are cruelty free.

I xld my order - yesterday's TSV with Philosphy because of that.

With that refund, I spent it a lot more wisely - new pjs.

I was so disappointed when Philosophy sold out.  I still miss Amazing Grace.  I was almost tempted to try it again with the Norstroms sale but then remembered they were no longer cruelty free.   So sad to see great products get destroyed and smaller companies sold to big conglomerates.

Frequent Contributor

image.jpeg

~Smile when the butterfly escapes the killing jar.~
Frequent Contributor

image.jpeg

~Smile when the butterfly escapes the killing jar.~